Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 59 of 59

Thread: Gallo's theory and resources

  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    176

    Default I don't get it

    All this theory of cathelicidins and kallikrein 5 being the true cause of inflammation – flushing ,was discovered in 2007.
    Today as far as we can see, only university of California is in phase 0 of their trials aimed to target these enzymes or proteins.
    Don’t you think it’s weird, that after 6 years since this has been discovered, we’ve got only one party involved in this type of research.
    It’s usually the case when some phenomenon is discovered, you’ve got a dozen of labs trying to build their portfolio based on that. But there just university of California still in phase 0?

  2. #52
    This user has been banned from this forum
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Its simply just not good enough my friend ....

    A bunch of wasters that's what they all are ......

    for the last 19 years I heard a lot of talk and nothing ever happens ..

    Its like a scratched record now and its beyond the joke

    Whatever you hear from now on .....

    should go in one ear and out the other ........
    Last edited by peteroche; 11th March 2013 at 07:33 PM.

  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    176

    Default Cromolyn Sodium

    Interestingly, University of California that previously tested Aminocaproic acid for erythema, now enrolling patients to test Cromolyn Sodium. We can conclude that Aminocaproic acid failed.
    But this time they specifically refer to papulopustular rosacea related redness which is not subtype 1 rosacea as far as I understand. Does that mean they give up on researching subtype 1 rosacea?
    Cromolyn Sodium prevents the release of inflammatory chemicals such as histamine from mast cells. It is so called mast cell stabilizer and is already available in form of nasal spray (nasalcrom) or eye drops (Opticrom or Crolom) over the counter or with prescription.
    Clearly, we’ve got two different directions here. Galderma’s Mirvaso works mostly by blocking alpha receptors. University of California appears to believe in downregulation of prostaglandins. Since prostaglandins are widely regarded as major catalysts for any type of inflammation that can occur in our body parts, they might be on the right track. Rosacea related redness is also an inflammatory effect.
    Anyone interested in trying out Cromolyn sodium on your face? You might want to mix it with some cream for better spread.

    http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/sh...ea+ucsd&rank=2

  4. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buratino29 View Post
    Interestingly, University of California that previously tested Aminocaproic acid for erythema, now enrolling patients to test Cromolyn Sodium. We can conclude that Aminocaproic acid failed.
    But this time they specifically refer to papulopustular rosacea related redness which is not subtype 1 rosacea as far as I understand. Does that mean they give up on researching subtype 1 rosacea?
    Cromolyn Sodium prevents the release of inflammatory chemicals such as histamine from mast cells. It is so called mast cell stabilizer and is already available in form of nasal spray (nasalcrom) or eye drops (Opticrom or Crolom) over the counter or with prescription.
    Clearly, we’ve got two different directions here. Galderma’s Mirvaso works mostly by blocking alpha receptors. University of California appears to believe in downregulation of prostaglandins. Since prostaglandins are widely regarded as major catalysts for any type of inflammation that can occur in our body parts, they might be on the right track. Rosacea related redness is also an inflammatory effect.
    Anyone interested in trying out Cromolyn sodium on your face? You might want to mix it with some cream for better spread.

    http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/sh...ea+ucsd&rank=2
    They have now published the results of the topical Aminocaproic acid trial.

    Reduction in Serine Protease Activity Correlates with Improved Rosacea Severity in a Small, Randomized Pilot Study of a Topical Serine Protease Inhibitor.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24213369

    It would be interesting to read the results but they charge $30 for the journal. I think someone on the forum has access to nature.com and has posted the pdf's of some of these journals here in the past.

  5. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redtere View Post
    They have now published the results of the topical Aminocaproic acid trial.

    Reduction in Serine Protease Activity Correlates with Improved Rosacea Severity in a Small, Randomized Pilot Study of a Topical Serine Protease Inhibitor.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24213369

    It would be interesting to read the results but they charge $30 for the journal. I think someone on the forum has access to nature.com and has posted the pdf's of some of these journals here in the past.
    Definately would be interesting to see those results.
    But since they're using cromolyn sodium in their new trials, looks that they're not entirely happy with results

  6. #56
    Senior Member fauxmccoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    146

    Default

    recently, i contacted the appropriate parties for consideration as a participant in one of the Gallo Labs clinical studies to evaluate the effect of a Cromolyn Sodium topical for rosacea.

    this morning, i received the following response (i would like to note that the response took less than 48 hours, including the weekend).

    Thank you for your email. We have actually reached our enrollment goals for both of those studies. We have another rosacea study that we will be starting sometime this summer though. It will also involve the use of a topical agent. If you are interested in possibly participating in this study, please let me know and I can send you more information once it becomes available.
    clearly UCSD is working on this issue with some gusto. i'm glad to see it and will keep folks here informed.

  7. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Thanks faux for your involvement.
    But as I have already said, I’ve tried cromolyn sodium and it didn’t do much for my subtype1 rosacea.
    Last year, 1 year prior to Mirvaso release I tried Brimonidine and reported here on forum brilliant initial results and subsequent rebound flushing. One year on and people’re reporting the same.
    I hope one day they’re going to come out with something. As for cromolyn sodium, I don’t think it’s going to be a game changer.
    But keep us informed if anything promising occurs.

  8. #58
    Senior Member fauxmccoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    146

    Default

    i will not be participating on the cromolyn sodium study. as UCSD explained, they have a new topical ready for study this summer.

    what gallo is writing about makes a lot of sense to me. mind you -- i do have some very bright family members in the medical community who can help me out. i really would not be surprised that rosacea will some day be classified as an auto immune disorder with a genetic link (excluding, perhaps, those with accutane or otherwise induced conditions). there is obviously more to be discovered than what gallo has released so far -- but i do think this is the most exciting discovery in a very long time. i have an unusual amount of auto immune disorders, only one had a cure and the the 'cure' was almost worse than the disease. i do not really expect a cure for rosacea in the forseeable future -- i do see hope, largely from gallo's researcch -- for real symptom relief however and i think it will lead to further understanding of the genesis of the disorder. we shall see. anyway, as i live in northern california and the occasional san diego getaway sounds lovely for this disabled housewife to escape home duties guilt free, i am happy to participate in UCSD's trials to the extent which i am able.

  9. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fauxmccoy View Post
    i will not be participating on the cromolyn sodium study. as UCSD explained, they have a new topical ready for study this summer.

    what gallo is writing about makes a lot of sense to me. mind you -- i do have some very bright family members in the medical community who can help me out. i really would not be surprised that rosacea will some day be classified as an auto immune disorder with a genetic link (excluding, perhaps, those with accutane or otherwise induced conditions). there is obviously more to be discovered than what gallo has released so far -- but i do think this is the most exciting discovery in a very long time. i have an unusual amount of auto immune disorders, only one had a cure and the the 'cure' was almost worse than the disease. i do not really expect a cure for rosacea in the forseeable future -- i do see hope, largely from gallo's researcch -- for real symptom relief however and i think it will lead to further understanding of the genesis of the disorder. we shall see. anyway, as i live in northern california and the occasional san diego getaway sounds lovely for this disabled housewife to escape home duties guilt free, i am happy to participate in UCSD's trials to the extent which i am able.
    Hi faux. It's been a while. Did you by chance get involve in those trials with san diego uni.?

Similar Threads

  1. Diet and Lifestyle Resources
    By phlika29 in forum Diet, lifestyle and relationships
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 13th April 2017, 02:12 AM
  2. Ocular Rosacea Resources
    By phlika29 in forum Ocular Rosacea
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 8th September 2016, 07:07 PM
  3. Self-education resources
    By Steve95301 in forum News, research articles and current affairs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 7th March 2008, 08:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •