Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gallo's theory and resources

Case in point

Look at the ridiculous level of effort that is put in by the company to 'own' the 'rosacea market'. Principal means of doing this have nothing to do with scientific research, looking out for the good of rosaceans etc, but of marketing strategies (translation: complicated ways of manipulating and deceiving people) that 'position' them relative to other companies trying to do the same thing.

It's smooth and sleek 'therapies' ("powerful change for the journey ahead" (wtf...?)), are drugs that have been around for ages - 10, 20, 30 years or more: metrogunk, antibiotics, etc.
    Last edited by TheMediumDog; 25th March 2010 at 08:59 AM.

Default Bill Gates?

Maybe we should get a petition or something for all Rosaceans to sign asking Bill Gates and his foundation to help fund research for this terrible disease. % or profits from a cure or treatment would go to his foundation! Get the best in the field and find a cure!

Yes, I've thought about something like this.

The thing is that all those foundations/individuals presumably receive hundreds of such requests (probably hundreds per day!). Is there a compelling reason why rosacea rather than, say, typhoid in third world countries should be funded? That's the sticking point; it doesn't seem so.

Default Organizations doing rosacea research

I have been following the organizations that are engaged in rosacea research for some time now and you have the following:

(1) Rosacea Research & Development Institute
    tax exempt 501 (c) (3) non profit organization - no clinical studies - produced the first dedicated journal on rosacea with articles on this subject

(2) American Acne & Rosacea Society
    tax exempt 501 (c) (6) non profit organization
    $30K in research grants were given in $10K increments to three physicians:

Whitney Bowe, MD
    Thy Thy Do, MD
    Lisa Mair, MD

There is no indication of the results of these three grants, what they were about on any published articles.

(3) Rosacea Research Foundation
    disolution announced December 2005 - supported the NRS with $16K in 2005 with a grant the NRS finished

(4) SkinCell International Forum for Skin Disorders
    no application or approval as a non profit organization known or published - no rosacea research

(5) International Rosacea Foundation
    no application or approval as a non profit organization known or published - no rosacea research

(6) National Rosacea Society
    tax exempt 501 (c) (3) non profit organization - number one rosacea research organization who has spent from 1998 through 2009 the NRS has spent $962,696 on 45 reported grants which amounts to 10% of its total funding over this same period.

(7) Rosacea Awareness Program
    Canadian 'public education' Funded by Galderma
    no application or approval as a non profit organization known or published - you know what kind of research Galderma is sponsoring

(8) New Age Skin Research Foundation
    tax exempt 501 (c) (3) non profit organization
    (AKA - New Age Research Foundation - no indication of rosacea research

(9) Inflammatory Skin Disease Institute
    tax exempt 501 (c) (3) non profit organization - no indication of rosacea research unless you count the $500 in scholarships given to students

I have written several editorials on this subject. But if you want to make any noise rosaceans need to band together in numbers with a legal corporation to get the notice of the pharmaceutical companies who have the funds to donate to a non profit who will engage in some novel rosacea research that rosaceans choose rather than the current status quo rosacea research. I have been trying to do this since 2002. The problem is getting rosaceans together without arguing about what to do. I am doing my best. Why don't you read the Journal of the RRDi and see what we are doing?
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Thanks Brady, that's a useful list.

Anything new with Gallo? Havent heard much in awhile.
    Doug

Default Found this...

It would be interesting to know what your serum vit.D level is. I would expect it to still be around 30. Raising the level to closer to 100 should eliminate most of your symptoms, but I haven't heard of any rosacean who has been cured.

Lack of a cure suggests a chronic form of an infectious agent. In other diseases it is viral, but I think that it is bacterial in rosacea. It is probably one of the bacterial forms that lacks walls and probably resides intracellularly (or as a biofilm?) The intracellular form is indistinguishable from the molecular machinery of the mitochondria, e.g. both use prokaryotic ribosomes, DNA replication, transcription, and therefore relatively unapproachable by antibiotics.

Part of the action of vitamin D is to act as a hormone that turns on the production of the antimicrobial peptide, cathelicidin, that attacks extracellular bacteria. High vitD should then attack all of the bacteria that are not intracellular, but leave the chronic intracellular forms. That would eliminate most symptoms, but not produce a cure.

This person is suggesting High Doses of D3.. What did Gallo say about D3 levels?
    Doug

Dr. Gallo found D3 leads to cathelicidin production, but unlike your quote he says that rosaceans produce abnormal cathelicidin which is what causes our cutaneous inflammation. Gallo really thinks cathelicidin is our bad guy.

Interesting.. so increasing Vit D would be a bad thing then for people with Rosacea?
    Doug

One of the treatment approaches he's proposed is to block specifically D3-induced cathelicidin, so yeah. But many people here who, even though they recognize that upping your D3 dose increases your redness, thinks you can get improvement in the long term through D3. I don't see why it would be so, but perhaps long-term excess D3 levels could get the vitamin D receptors to shut down in some people. Few people seem to be having any luck using that approach, however.

I don't think there's much merit to the idea of a chronic skin infection, but I'm sort of doing homework right now so I'm not going to review the literature right now... but I'm pretty positive that theory's something researchers have already discounted?