Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Horrible itching!

THat's a bummer. I tried the shampoo on my face once, and ouch!! All that fragrance and god knows what was not good.

Here's the ingredients:

The active substance in Nizoral cream is ketoconazole. Each gram (g) of Nizoral cream contains 20 milligrams (mg) of ketoconazole (2 % w/w).
    The other ingredients are purified water, propylene glycol, cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, sorbitan stearate, polysorbate 60, polysorbate 80, sodium sulphite (E221) and isopropyl myristate.

I am not happy about the isopropyl myristate in there, because it can cause acne. So what I have been doing is appying in the morning and evenings for around an hr and then washing off, in the hopes it will kill of yeast or whatever but not block my pores. The other option I was thinking about was getting it compounded...

Yeah...a couple of those ingredients don't suit me!!

I have an idea... the doctor prescribed me oral antifungal tablets to have on hand if ever I got a yeast infection (thrush) because I seem to be prone to them when I am taking antibiotics.

If it is seb derm, the tablet should in theory improve it, so maybe it's worth a try. Then at least i might know what i'm dealing with.

Hi Sparrow

I get Candida when taking antibiotics too. It's harder to deal with than Rosacea...and that's saying something! Ouch!

See how you go with the anti-fungal tablets. I read about someone using an anti-fungal cream (Canestan sp?) on their face. Thought it was kinda weird but she swore by it. Even though you're not fond of topicals, maybe you could do both? Test patch first, huh!

There are natural ways of doing the anti-fungal thing but it's more work than a tablet. It's diet. Do you know your food triggers? Ever tried Bee Wilder's Candida Diet? As I undrstand it, home-made fermented cabbage juice is more powerful than an anti-fungal tablet. Takes a bit of work though. Just a thought.

Jen

Hmm. I hesitate to say this, but I think I can feel confident because the person who originally advocated it is pretty smart. If the oral antifungals don't work, it might be worth a shot to try J-Mill's routine:
    http://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea_...692#post213692

Yes, I know it's cortisone cream, and cortisone is the devil. Trust me, I probably know better than most on the RF. However if treated respectfully, it can be a useful tool for short-term use. Personally I get a dermatitis similar to what you describe, and I use 1/2% cortisone on it for a week and it's gone. Who knows how it got there in the first place (actually I do know: I tend to be a little too adventurous with trying new skincare), but 1/2% cortisone used for a VERY short time does the trick without affecting my rosacea.

Additionally, I might add that since I started IPL 3 months ago, the dermatitis hasn't appeared. Maybe it was rosacea-related, maybe it was simply product-related. (?) Also, when I was first diagnosed with rosacea I remember the papules itched like mad!! I felt I couldn't go 5 minutes without rubbing a spot on my face. But once I got them more under control (first w/ minocycline) the itching subsided, and I only notice itching now when a new bigger one forms, which is infrequent.
    Last edited by chenoarae; 19th September 2009 at 04:10 PM.

That is interesting about the IPL and the dermatitis Chen. I am keen to try IPL next. I too get dermatitis and some itching.

Isn't that strange? I can't imagine why the little buggers itch. I've read several theories, but I just don't know. I suppose inflammation leads to itchiness.

Yeah I guess it may be a compromised skin barrier??. One derm said my barrier was shot. Trouble is I can't use any heavy moisturisers. Only thing I can use that never clogs up my pores is emu oil. At least I have that! What moisturiser do you use? I know you have pore issues too.

I never had the dermatitis issue before Accutane. And now it is getting warm the itching is driving me insane when I am at the gym. I think its sweat.

actually my skin is doing well enough (ie not dry) that the clindamycin phosphate lotion is plenty moisturizing. it was not so last winter though, and that's when I used either clinique's redness solutions day cream or theraplex clearlotion, depending on my dryness' severity (theraplex is far more moisturizing).