Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to identify most recent post?

Default How to identify most recent post?

I am having a tough time navigating through content on this forum, and maybe other users can help.

When I click the "New Posts" link, there does not appear to be an option to take me to my first unread post. I can click the thread heading and go to post 1, or I can click a page number if there are multiple pages and go to the first post on that page, OR I can click this icon with a mouseover that says "Go to last post." And that is exactly what it does. It takes me to the last post made, not the first unread post -- so I miss all the posts above it are new to me.

I just tested this in a thread I have not read, and it took me right to the end. But then when I clicked "New Posts" again, the thread I had just peeked at disappeared from the list, even though there were pages of posts in that topic that I had not read. Frustrating.

I'm used to forums that run on SMF software. These forums also include a "new posts" link at the top. The difference is that when users click the "new" icon associated with an unread thread, they go directly to the first unread post in a thread they're watching, not the last post made.

Am I missing something or is this a limitation in vBulletin software? It's difficult to track what I have read versus what I have not, and I find myself having to do a lot of backtracking.

If someone has a tip on how to quickly identify unread posts, I'd love to know.

I think I see what you mean. The only way that I know to take you to the actual post is through the topic notification which can get sent to your email account. but that only send notifications on the threads you are watching.

That's kinda what I thought. Bummer.

Thanks, though.

i think i might have found a way!!

If you click on the thread you want to read, then look at the top of the page and there is a button called 'click to see first unread post' or something like that. Click it and it moves you to what appears to be the first post that you have yet to read since your last visit.

Is this it?

I see it! So the option is there. However when I went to Judworth's RLT post to see her most recent post and clicked that link, it took me to her first post, even though I had read all posts in that thread except the last one.

My forum uses SMF software, so I have no idea how vBulletin works Does anyone know if the forum pages here use PHP templates/scripts?

At my other place, the following is the URL that displays all threads that contain new posts:
    Code:
    http://www.myste.com/forum/index.php?action=unread
    This one displays only the threads I posted in:
    Code:
    http://www.mysite.com/forum/index.php?action=unreadreplies
    And see this little icon? It's the one that takes users to their first unread post:

This is the URL

Code:
    http://www.mysite.com/forum/index.php?topic=1326.msg163426;topicseen#new
    If I recall (I set it up over three years ago), I think it's the part after the semicolon that's important, but as I said, I don't know how the software here works.

If you're interested, I can take a look at the index.php code and see if anything jumps out at me, perhaps something you can translate here. I don't want anyone wasting time for just one user, but I believe this would help everyone locate stuff more quickly, and I am happy to help, in part for pure selfish reasons.

Oh this is way over my head. Warren, the board owner, will hopefully be able to sort this.

Sorry I thought I had found the solution

Quote Originally Posted by phlika29 View Post
    Oh this is way over my head. Warren, the board owner, will hopefully be able to sort this.

Sorry I thought I had found the solution
    I think you have! And I really appreciate it. I can't believe I didn't see that link.

My guess is that Warren just needs to tweak the index.php code. If he cares, that is!

By the way, that first unread link appears to be missing in some threads.

Right now it looks like ones I started, which isn't fair, lol.

that is very strange. All off the technical stuff is done by warren so we will have to wait for him to have a look.

No problem. I am clearly making my way around today.