Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another one for you to look at!

Default Another one for you to look at!

Hi guys,

I've been a lurker here for some time now. I've been aware of my erythema since the age of 18 (I'm now 24), but since my only real problem is an aesthetic one (I don't get the burning or p+p's that many others here suffer from) I've always just put up with it. I did ask my doctor about it a few years ago, but she fobbed me off with 'I can't see anything...redness is normal'. I'm quite the procrastinator but enough's enough and I want my face to be normal. I figured I'd ask for views on here before I have another shot at my doctor. My feeling is it's rosacea, but seb derm and KPRF are possibilities I guess. Some background info that may be relevant to judging my face:

• I blush quite easily, or at least, I did. My lifestyle now is free of embarrassment triggers but that won't be the case for long
    • I don't have any photos from my teen years, but I have several photos of myself at ages 1 7 or so where I have a red face in the exact outline you see in the pics below. When I came across these pictures I did doubt rosacea, but then again...
    • I flush due to the normal rosacea triggers. Exercise, strong wind/cold, alcohol, stress etc
    • I have Keratosis Pilaris all over my arms, legs and some back and stomach
    • I had ezcema as a kid
    • I have a flaky scalp, which I suspect is Seb Derm. My brother has scalp issues too. I was prescribed some steroid stuff 5 years ago but never used it due to what I read about such treatments. I also have thinnish hair which I put down to the suspected Seb Derm.
    • I've never really had acne. I can count on one hand how many pimples I've EVER had within the red area of my cheeks any pimples that I've had would be on my forehead or chin and these were also uncommon
    • I've never done anything worse to my face than washing with soap a bunch of times when I was a teen

I'm posting 3 pics which I hope will be adequate. The first is a recent shot of my cheek, and this is how red I ALWAYS am. The 2nd picture is a few years old and was taken after I got home having walked through rain and strong wind. This gives a good idea of how red I get during a flush. The third pic was taken at the same time as pic 2; I've included this in its original high resolution to show what my skin is like.

Thanks for your time and any thoughts.
    Attached Images

Hi Vitek

Wow! You have lurked for some time! Glad you made your first post. There are heaps of people here who can try and help with giving their thoughts through their personal experiences.

Your face looks sore, is it?

Can I ask which country you live in, if that is not too intrusive? Reason being is places like Ireland for example, what I see on your face is quite common. 'Curse of the Celts' (I have Irish background and loads of rellies there). Not saying that makes it easier, just perhaps a bit more insight for help on this Forum.

Looking closely at the photos you put up, I would suggest Rosacea but of course that is only my personal opinion. I am not a doctor.

Jen

Thanks for your reply, redhotoz.

My face is not sore, thankfully. If a flush is bad enough I will be able to feel my face getting really hot, but I can only remember that ever being the case once or twice. Sometimes I'll be able to feel my cheeks tighten up as well.

I am from the north of England, so close enough!

So glad your face is not sore. The heat can be so annoying though, huh!

Had to have a wee laugh when you said north of England was close enough to Ireland (don't tell them that or we'll have WWIII on our hands!) LOL Just stirring!

I'm sure someone will chime in soon with some other ideas/help for you. Mean time, stay cool.

Jen

Hi Vitek,

nice name! I'll also pop in with some thoughts. (And only that, neither I am a doctor unfortunately).
    My first thought when I say your picture was: Gosh, he looks like Tom Chaplin from keane (and that's a compliment!). Second thought: that looks like rosacea. But when I read you don't burn and your skin doesn't feel hot, I did start to have doubts.
    You know what the thing is? I have red cheeks and they are very sore and hot and burning. My bf has the same red cheeks, but his skin doesn't feel hot and he doesn't burn. Only when he drinks waaaay too much alcohol or a waaay too hot Indian dish. But normally he just has rosy/red cheeks. When we were at my dermatologist together I couldn't resist asking him about my bf. Did he think he has rosacea? And the derm said very conviced: NO. He believes my bf just has a reddish complexion. We're from the north of Holland, we both have a pale complexion and are prone to rosy skin, a bit like the people from the UK/Ireland and Scandinavia. So what I'm trying to say is that it is very well possible that you are like my bf, and just have this skin type.

Do you find that the redness is getting worse over the years? You don't have any p&p's (small red pimple like red things)? Do other people in your family have the same complexion? If the redness has been like this for all of your life and some family members have it as well, you might want to try and accept it perhaps. I find it very charming actually. I know that doesn't help for you probably, but the thing is that there is always thew possibility of starting with medication (propranolol or clonidine for instance), BUT, you'll get side effects as well. Being tired and light headed a lot of the time for instance. And chemicals are never good for the body long term of course. Also, IPL or lasers might take the redness away a bit, but it will come back most of the time and it will cost you a lot of money and if your skin is very sensitive it can even make matters worse for some.

As soon as you start to get really painful and hot flushes I would definitely start taking some action though, because then you might want to get things into remission before it gets worse. But I don't know if your redness is progressing at this stage..

Best wishes, Natalja

Hi Nat

Long time and great post. Hope you are doing well. Do miss our chats.

Is "Vitek" a word in another language? I love languages and speak a few, some just to get me by. I'm assuming it's Dutch?

Vitek, have not heard from you since your first post. Hope all is ok at your end.

Jen

Hi Jen,

you can chat with me anytime! Vitek is definitely not a Dutch name, I would say it sounds more Balkan like, or eastern European..
    Anyway, hope you are doing well Vitek!

Best wishes Natalja

Thanks for your reply nataljaoo, I only just saw it so sorry for the late reply.

First off, you are right about Vitek being Eastern European (Polish to be precise). It was the nickname of Witold Kiełtyka, one of my favourite drummers, who sadly was killed a couple of years ago in a road accident while touring.

To answer some of your points - There's a long period of life from which there are no photos to compare against. However, I have a handful of baby/toddler photos where I am either really red, or at least have a reddish face. And what's more, it appears that the redness is in the same pattern/outline you see in the photos I posted. Since I became conscious of my face at 18, I wouldn't say it's gotten any worse. I did, however, recently notice minor telangiectasis on my nose. I've never had p&p's.

I might find it harder to accept my face if the redness wasn't in such an obvious, blatantly silly pattern. It follows my eye sockets and curves upwards, making me look like I've just spent the day sunbathing in goggles. I workout often and, being a pale guy, the non-red part of my face is usually white as a ghost after a workout, which only emphasises the outline of my redness.

I will definitely see a doctor about it soon - the main reason I haven't so far is because in my previous attempts to have something diagnosed they either trivialised the issue or gave me antibiotics, which do nothing at all. I can't afford other options like lasers etc so I just put up with it. I don't want to push my luck and let things get any worse though.

Thanks again for your reply!

Oh, and redhotoz, which languages do you speak? I studied Latin, French and Spanish at school, and have dabbled in Polish and Norwegian on and off in the years since. Icelandic and Faroese are distinct possibilities also, if I get off my backside and travel like I keep saying I will!

Natalja, I was actually listening to some Dutch yesterday, and I was like this throughout - . Well, that mixed with . I just need to sink a few of these and I could probably sound like that though. (No offense ) Wow, too many faces.

its kprf