Thread: Abandon all hope ye who enter here

Default Abandon all hope ye who enter here

Actually, it's not that bad. I was dx with rosacea around 1997. Before that I'd noticed prolonged flushing from embarrassment and drinking alcohol, which made even my ears turn red. What sent me to the doctor 10 years ago was telengectasia. I don't have much of it, but I was curious about it, and that is when I first heard about rosacea.

I was put on Metrogel, which I used for a few years. I honestly don't think it did much for me, as my rosacea is strictly flushing, pinkness on cheeks, and a little more redness on chin with some very fine veins. In fact, I had such a mild case of it I never gave it much thought -- until other health issues caused more frequent and prolonged redness and the beginnings of almost imperceptible veins on my cheeks.

I just posted my known triggers in another thread, but I am still discovering what is and isn't a trigger. My detective work is made all the more challenging by my weird and frustrating hormonal issues, some of which I have healed and some of which are ongoing. To wit:

• Multiple food sensitivities, identified by the ELISA ACT IgG serum test
    • Leaky gut syndrome
    • Insufficient digestive enzymes
    • Almost complete absence of good flora in the gut
    • Hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's thyroiditis
    • Insulin resistance
    • Systemic candida
    • Rosacea
    • Hypoadrenia (adrenal burnout/fatigue)

The pattern that emerges from the above list is completely gut related. Like many people, I religiously followed the lowfat/high carb diet of the late 80s, well into the 90s. Such a high carb diet is really a high sugar diet, even if the food choices were not straight sugar. All that sugar led to insulin spikes, so extra cortisol was needed to balance things out, and I ended up with burned out adrenals. Given a weakened immune system by sputtering adrenals, and a huge presence of sugar (carbs) in my digestive tract, I developed leaky gut, which led to food allergies and candida and insufficient digestion.

The big problem with my healing has been food. Allergy tests return many false positives and negatives, and given that a reaction can occur up to 4 days after consuming the irritant, you can imagine how difficult it is to track.

All of this has had its impact on my skin.

I have good skin. It has always been oily, so I have virtually no wrinkles in my 40s, but the pores have enlarged, which makes covering the redness a challenge at times.

I have no idea what kind of rosacea subtye I am. Probably the most mild-to-moderate kind, no p&p, skin thickening, or scarring.

I no longer take any kind of prescribed or OTC medicine for my condition. To date, the best way I manage rosacea is with diet, and I can put the pinkness into complete remission by eating a certain way. If I go for IPL done, I'll quickly get my pale complexion back — as long as I don't make things worse with diet choices.

But that's the problem. Eating a particular way to appease ALL my issues leaves me with very few food choices. Just so you know I am not kidding, the following is my DON'T EAT food list:

alcoholic beverages
    apricot
    avocado
    banana
    barley
    beans: lima, navy, pea, red, soy
    beef
    blueberries
    cherries
    chicken skin
    cider
    cocoa and chocolate
    cottage cheese
    cranberries
    dates
    egg white, raw
    eggplant
    fermented foods (all)
    figs
    fish (fin and shell)
    garlic
    gluten
    hollandaise
    ketchup
    lamb
    marinades
    meat, leftover, cooked
    milk
    mustard
    nectarines
    nuts: almonds, cashews
    olives
    orange
    papaya
    peach
    pea, pea pod
    pepper: black, chili
    pickle
    plum
    pork
    processed meat, lunchmeat
    prune
    pumpkin
    raisin, currant
    raspberry
    rye
    salad dressing, commercial
    sauerkraut
    shellfish
    soy and miso
    spices: anise, cinnamon, cloves, curry, hot paprika nutmeg
    spinach
    strawberry
    tomatoes
    turkey skin
    vanilla
    vinegar, except raw, unfiltered ACV
    watermelon
    wheat
    yeast (baker’s/brewer’s)
    yogurt

You can imagine what's left gets a little boring and I tend to go through phases where I rebel, eat what I want, and pay the price. What I should be on, however, is the Paleo diet, with nothing but freshly cooked meat and above-ground veggies.

Anyway, hello and I look forward to healing my skin and the rest of me with all your help.

Welcome Skwpt,

It looks like you're depriving yourself of a bunch of really healthy foods because of rosacea which is unfortunate. May I ask what you do eat?

As for rosacea subtype, yours is like mine: very mild and that is really good news. I think you should go for IPL or PDL and see what it does for you. Have you been seeing a nutritionist? If not, maybe they could help you out and possibly re-introduce some of those foods into your diet.

Quote Originally Posted by MissD View Post
    It looks like you're depriving yourself of a bunch of really healthy foods because of rosacea which is unfortunate. May I ask what you do eat?
    Hi, MissD. Thanks for the welcome. I have every hope of eating lots of the stuff in my list once I heal my gut.

If I am being compliant with my rotation/elimination diet, I eat plenty of lean protein, eggs, walnuts, ghee, coconut milk and cream, olive oil, and tons of salad or steamed broccoli, green beans, Brussels sprouts, etc. I make a LOT of stir fry with onions and green peppers. I can also eat brown rice, so many Asian dishes (as long as I can make them with wheat-free tamari) are right up my alley, especially Thai, which is heavy on the coconut milks. And I can do the rice noodles and wrappers, as well.

With no wheat or dairy, breakfast remains a big challenge. I tend to eat soup. Or I skip it entirely, as I am rarely hungry before 11 AM.

One of my embarrassments is not taking enough time to care for myself. I have an insanely deadline-driven job, which makes it hard to prepare vegetable-intensive meals. All shopping and chopping is time consuming. It's easier to slap a sandwich together.

However, I strongly suspect I have celiac disease, so wheat/gluten will likely be permanent items from which I abstain. I have high hopes for eating dairy again, because I miss that more than anything. Who cares about bread. Life without dairy is hardly worth living.

As for rosacea subtype, yours is like mine: very mild and that is really good news. I think you should go for IPL or PDL and see what it does for you. Have you been seeing a nutritionist? If not, maybe they could help you out and possibly re-introduce some of those foods into your diet.
    Not seeing one now, but I have in recent past. Anyway, I probably know more about nutrition now than most doctors. ;) And I loathe that so many nutritionists still push food plans that I don't believe in and have no intention of ever following.

I will definitely look into IPL/PDT very soon. Probably by the start of next spring, when any color I got on my face this past season (from my gardening addiction) has completely faded.

My nature is to be impatient and perfection-seeking. I have high expectations for myself, which serves me well at work, but leads to all-or-nothing thinking with my food plan. I tend to be very compliant or all over the map.

What I need most is to stay on course with a favorable food plan for a minimum of 18 months so my gut has time to heal. Then I can start rotating in many of those foods again.

Give me a day or two to 'digest' your OP! Get back to ya!

Jen

Hi skwpt

Certainly is a long list of food triggers and health issues that you have identified. One that caught my eye the most was Candida.

Have you tried Bee Wilder's Candida Diet? It is my belief that if you can rid your body of Candida, other health issues will 'fall into place', so to speak. Bee's diet is about healing naturally with food. It goes against the grain, as far as standard diets go but well worth looking into. It's a Yahoo e-mail based group.

I wish you all the best.

Jen