Thread: Tear duct swelling

Default Tear duct swelling

When my ocular symptoms are very bad, I'll find that I often get a lot of pressure/swelling in my tear ducts. The pain can sometimes be intense and almost headache-inducing. Once I had this persistent swelling for most of the day, yet after sneezing that evening, the swelling completely went down. It's very strange! Does anyone else get this? Can it be related to something other than Rosacea?

Lauren,
    The tear ducts may be infected with bacteria.
    A tear duct can get infected if it becomes blocked and bacteria collect in the ducts or the lacrimal sac.
    Do you experience any other symptoms like pus discharge or fever?

If this is what it is a dose of oral antibiotics can help clear it. However,
    if the infection does not respond to antibiotics, or if infections keep returning, minor surgery may be needed. There are several types of surgical treatments for tear duct infections:

1. Surgical probing of the tear duct or
    2. A procedure called dacryocystorhinostomy, in which the narrowed or blocked duct is expanded. Usually done with laser.

Also, what you could try (if you have not already been doing this) are lid massages.
    A routine of warm compresses and pressing on the tear sac with your finger may help to promote drainage.

Of course, not saying you have this but just posting this as a possibility.
    Aren't you under the care of an eye doctor? You should let him/her know for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.

http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/tc/b...ducts-symptoms

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa W View Post
    Lauren,
    The tear ducts may be infected with bacteria.
    A tear duct can get infected if it becomes blocked and bacteria collect in the ducts or the lacrimal sac.
    Do you experience any other symptoms like pus discharge or fever?

If this is what it is a dose of oral antibiotics can help clear it. However,
    if the infection does not respond to antibiotics, or if infections keep returning, minor surgery may be needed. There are several types of surgical treatments for tear duct infections:

1. Surgical probing of the tear duct or
    2. A procedure called dacryocystorhinostomy, in which the narrowed or blocked duct is expanded. Usually done with laser.

Also, what you could try (if you have not already been doing this) are lid massages.
    A routine of warm compresses and pressing on the tear sac with your finger may help to promote drainage.

Of course, not saying you have this but just posting this as a possibility.
    Aren't you under the care of an eye doctor? You should let him/her know for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.

http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/tc/b...ducts-symptoms

Best wishes,
    Melissa
    Hi Melissa, thanks again for all the info. It does seem that my lacrimal sac is what's swollen. Today I experienced some draining/discharge, after which the swollen area completely flattened, but it became swollen again soon after. My inflamed/dark undereye problems wrap around to the inner corners of my eyes, so the newly swollen part has been dark/inflamed for months. I'm curious if it's ocular Rosacea or some infection that I've been treating these last 5 months.

I've taken 5 weeks of Doxycycline (100 milligrams daily) without any improvement. I'll make an appointment with my eye doctor soon. Thanks again.

Good luck Lauren!
    Let us know how it goes.