Thread: Sunscreen suggestions

Default Sunscreen suggestions

I was recently diagnosed with rosacea. I guess no surprise. I am female, early 30s and have exceptionally pale skin. about six months ago i began dealing with what i thought was adult acne....many little bumps, redness, made worse by adding harsh products to control what i thought was acne. long story short, i have been finding some relief with the metrolotion (not sure of the exact name right now). Here is my problem, i would like to wear daily sunscreen on my face, neck and chest. but i am so sensitive. my chest more than my face and neck. on my chest, i notice little pimples and redness--especially when i apply my 90 SPF neutragena (supposedly sensitive) sunscreen. What can i use?

1.) i need a strong enough SPF (UVA and UVB) to protect me. After doing some reading, it appears the higher the SPF, not necessary the better as it means more chemicals with no real added protection.

2.) MUST NOT STAIN CLOTHING. UGH...

3.) Must be sensitive...very sensitive.

What is your take on the chemical versus non-chemical sunscreens? My understand is that the non-chemical are less irritating (as you might suspect of the designiation "non-chemical"). Also, non-chemical sunscreens are less likely to stain since it is the active ingredient avobenzone which is found in chemical susnscreens which is thought to be the main staining culprit.

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated!

UPDATE: I just read one of the posts directly below mine. i think what i may have on my chest is miliaria. it kind of makes sense. i don't believe it is rosacea on my chest because i have tried to treat it with the metrolotion and there is no improvement. anyway, that was an interesting revelation for me.
    Last edited by Gretchen; 1st September 2009 at 02:37 PM.

Hi Gretchen and welcome to the RF

Personally I cannot tolerate chemical sunscreens but have no problem with the physical sunblocks-zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide.

There are lots of sunscreen threads here with recommendations.
    Here are a few to get you started.

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...en%2C+sunblock

btw I am moving this thread to topicals

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Default Thanks!

Thank you for moving my thread to the appropriate board. I did stumble on some sunscreen posts yesterday. I am getting pretty frustrated. it seems like so many products are either irritating or down right harmful. i am trying to protect myself--not harm myself. the search continues...

Default The top three

Okay, so after some research, reading several reviews here and elsewhere, consulting EWG sunscreen database, i have decided that the following three sunblocks are up-my-alley:

Elta MD UV Physical SPF 41

California Baby No Fragrance SPF 30+ Sunscreen Lotion

Clinique Super City Block Oil-Free Daily Face Protector SPF 40

These three appealed to me because they have the right amount of SPF (not too low, not too high), they are all non-chemical sunscreens, and considered very sensitive, and all but Clinique (which wasn't reviewed) ranked well on EWG. Oh, and all three are affordable (between $10-20).

I wish I could comment on the texture and scent of all three, but i was only able to test the Clinique sunscreen which i found blended quite nicely and the fragrance not overwhelming.
    Last edited by Gretchen; 2nd September 2009 at 08:54 PM.