Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: V-beam Induced Hyperpigmentation

Default V-beam Induced Hyperpigmentation

Hi All,

I've been reading for a while, and have found some very helpful information about a skin issue that I'm currently experiencing. But I haven't seen anything new lately, so I thought I'd post now to ask how others have made out.

I had a strong V-beam treatment on my nose five weeks ago to treat telangiectasia. It was my first purpura-induced treatment, after four previous non-purpura V-beam sessions. There was considerable swelling this time as well as some blistering. The swelling subsided after 4-5 days; the bruising lingered for about three weeks, after which time, for about the past two weeks, I have had brown-colored skin where the laser apparently struck.

The red veins are gone, as far as I can tell, and this is great. But I'm not seeing the brownness subside. Or, if it is diminishing, it's happening ever so slowly around the edges and a but in the center of the marks. On the whole, from a distance the treated just simply looks brown. While I can tolerate the brown-colored skin more than the red veins that were there before, I'm getting a bit anxious for this discoloration to fade, and even nervous that it will never go away.

I have read that some people use the IPL to reduce V-beam hyperpigmentation, but I think I've had my last laser treatment for a long, long time. This recovery has been troublesome, and I often question my decision ever to have it in the first place. How have others' skin fared with hyperpigmentation? Is there usually recovery?

Many thanks.

Suffice it to say I could have written your post. My experience is just about a complete match of yours. My hyperpigmentation , now nearly 3 mo. out, is still visible on my cheeks.

It had looked quite bad for awhile. Now it is something I am ok with. The derm put a woods' light on it and said it is superficial and should be gone in another 3-6mo. Well, that is some time to wait. Yet, she also said my skin looks better than ever and the vbeam helped alot. She did not do the laser treatment.

I understand your desire not to have more laser treatments right away. That was my decision too.

I had several non -purpuric treatments before the purpuric. The non-purpuric didn't really do that much , some help but not a noticeable improvement. With the purpuric I did get noticeable improvement but also the hyperpigmentation. Yet, I am glad I did the purpuric.

I think it will lighten as the derm said.I would think your pigmentation will fade as well. Others here also seem to say in time the hyperpigmentation faded for them. Some did IPL as you said...I guess it all depends on how much it bothers you.
    Last edited by roz; 31st August 2009 at 12:17 AM.

It will fade but just needs time. If it took three weeks for the bruises to fade then my guess is it is going to be a good few months of the brown to go. I get it each time but luckily for me it just appears to look like freckles.

Interesting thread.
    I'm not sure of how large an area you guys are talking about but just wanted to share my story to see if it could help.

I saw my dermatologist last week (not the laser derm but my primary derm) and showed him a couple of spots on my face (present for a number of months now) that I thought could be hyperpigmentation spots from VBeam. Previous to these spots my face had been totally clear of any brown spots.
    He said that they are freckles and inevitable when you spend lots of time outside regardless of using lots and lots of sunblock

Frustrating as I do not want freckles but I guess it is a part of living unless I want to be a hermit and never spend any time outside. The worst part of this though is if I have to get freckles at least let me have the red hair that goes along with it instead of my brunette hair!! LOL

I also have hyperpigmentation- it's been over 2 months now since the purpuric laser and the spots are still brown (lighter but still very noticeable) . I think the purpuric laser is the way to go because you get more benefits right away and it is the best way to get rid of stubborn veins(esp on the nose) but it sucks when you have really sensitive skin like me and you get hyperpigmented.

Thanks for your responses, everyone. I wish I could pass these off as freckles, but that's just not possible in my case. Sounds like I simply need to wait it out. Unfortunately that's far easier said than done...

Dear Friends,

I find myself suddenly quite anxious. I am now six weeks post a heavy V-beam treatment to treat telengiectasia on the bridge of my nose, which produced a lot of swelling, purpura, and some scabbing. I have had post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH), or what I assume is PIH, since the scabs fell off and the bruises subsided. I have not seen my dermatologist who did the treatment over these six weeks, but I spoke with him on two occasions on the telephone - at 3 weeks and today (6 weeks). The first conversation ended with him saying that I need to wait, for this takes time to fade. Okay, I said, this sounds reasonable. At five weeks, I wrote about my situation on this board, and everyone seemed to suggest that, yes, it takes time, and five weeks is still on the early side of full recovery. From what I have read on several threads here, I gather that even six weeks is on the early side of full recovery. But my dermatologist this evening told me that I should know that PIH can be permanent. Of course, he followed this remark with the obvious point that he'd need to see it and shine a lamp on it to know how deep / serious it is. The comment about permanent PIH caused the anxiety I mentioned at the start of this note.

Have folks on this board experienced permanent hyperpigmentation from a V-beam treatment.

One last note and question: Over the last week (from wk 5 - wk 6) the areas immediately surrounding the sites where I was hit by the laser have appeared redder than during the first four weeks. Has anyone experienced this so far along in recovery.

Thanks for reading and replying!

Hi Slivovice,

I had two Vbeams, the second one resulted in some PIH. I didn't notice anything after the first. The second one was done by an RN (the first by my Derm.). The PIH resembled "tiny pindots" and it was mainly on my chin and smile line areas. It did fade with time. I also had some IPL's done (by my other Derm.) which also helped.

Time should heal it as the skin re-generates every 2-4 weeks. If you aren't seeing a reduction after a few months, ask your Derm. about possibly a short series of IPL's or other treatments that could help.

Kind regards,
    Yvette

Slivovice--

As I wrote earlier, my experience was very much like yours. Please don't let your anxiety build too much over this.
    I think seeing the derm and having the woods light check up will yield some helpful information. Then you could make a more informed decision about what to do.
    I do remember when my hyperpigmentation looked very bad, I felt sort of desperate. Then I would need to remind myself that I could do the IPL. The laser derm had suggested a skin lightening agent like people will do with a melasma...but I didn't want that with my very sensitive skin. My regular derm agreed that at least for my skin any lightening agent would likely be too harsh.
    Oh.....just wanted to mention that my laser derm said he would do the IPL at no charge as he felt he sort of created the problem. Maybe yours would do IPL at no charge/ or low charge.
    Roz

Roz and Yvette,

Thanks for your replies. Patience with this is difficult, especially since the changes are so subtle, so gradual, and not even across every spot (i.e., some places have exhibited lightening more visibly than others at this point). Even with the knowledge that hyperpigmentation is a fairly common side effect of purpura-induced Vbeam treatment, I'm rather surprised at how challenging this has been for me to accept it, to imagine what normal (or even mostly normal - as I remember normal to be) looking skin on these areas might look like.

Thanks again. Always happy to hear how you (and others) are getting on.