Thread: Topical "Side Effect"?: Very Shiny Skin, Even When Not Oily...

Default Topical "Side Effect"?: Very Shiny Skin, Even When Not Oily...

Okay, I'm not sure where to post this question, so I thought perhaps in the general forum would be appropriate. This is a problem of mine that drives me absolutely crazy and makes me perhaps more self conscious than anything else (if you can believe it), and one of which I sometimes have trouble articulating. I'd love to know if anyone else is in the same boat, and if so, if they've ever found a way of addressing it.

Very quick background: I'm pretty sure I have rosacea (although there's been some difference of opinion among derms): I have very red facial skin, I'm prone to (small) broken vessels and I break out (although it may be minor acne as opposed to papules...another thing derms have disagreed about).

I also have pretty oily skin with big pores. This certainly makes my skin shiny. But here's the rub: my skin is ALWAYS shiny. It's shiny when I'm straight out of the shower. It's shiny when I place a blotting paper on my face and pick up virtually nothing. I'm shiny in places that are not usually tremendously oily anyway, like my temples.

So here's my question. Does anyone else have this perma-shiny skin, a/k/a dry & shiny?

What I'm wondering is this: I've been using topicals for years. I tried different things when I was younger...acne topicals, etc. For the last, oh, 4 years or so I've used a sodium sulfacetimide/sulfur wash (mine is called Prascion) twice a day and Finacea twice a day. I wonder if the topicals I use--especially the medicated wash...are doing this to my skin? If they're part of the reason my skin is so shiny and "tight" seeming a lot, even when not oily.

While anyone's thoughts are welcomed, I'm really most interested in hearing from anyone else who might have a similar problem--especially those who "got to the bottom of it" or otherwise found some way of dealing with it. Seriously--my face is very, very shiny 24/7/365, winter/summer, oily or dry...freshly washed or at the end of the day. And I really wonder if topicals are part of the reason. Thanks.

Hi dardanelles, what you're talking about is all too familiar to me. I too have oily skin with enlarged pores and the same "shiny" skin whether freshly washed or not.

In the past I've used many topicals so it could indeed have something to do with this. I haven't got to the bottom of this, but as you were looking for someone in the same boat I'm putting my hand up, lol.

It really does distress me at times, more so than the broken blood vessels and enlarged pores. The only way I can take the shine off is with makeup (pressed powder) and even then I have to blot a lot during the day.

I found the problem was worse when I was using wipes to clean my face - I guess because some residual cleanser was left on my skin. But even now I've stopped using the wipes and use water when cleansing, my skin still gleams.

On another note, I am considering IPL for my broken veins but wondering whether that would make the "shiny" problem worse - have you had any IPL before and, if so, noticed a difference in your shine factor one way or the other?

Hey dardanelles,

The only thing I can think of is that it might be new, fresh skin. Finacea's active ingredient is azelaic acid which exfoliates the skin much like salicylic and glycolic acid does.

Well in my case there's no question I have rosacea first off and I also have this extremely tightly pulled skin that shines! I know it's not normal but I have had it for yrs.....I don't use products like you do at all.....my skin is very dry but I have larger pores that are plugged....I had a Visia scan and all these yucky skin things were pointed out quite clearly......I have not be able to find anything to "normalize" my skin......I suspect it is in my case due to the chronic inflammation that is always present in my face whether I am flushing or not....it's just a state of "being" for me......heck I have even wondered if I have that skin disease that pulls your skin across your bones uber tight....scleraderma......at the PS I go to after doing my scan she said it was quite astounding that I have no wrinkles at my age! Said she's never seen that before LOL.....I swear I think my dermis is just so darn inflamed that the skin is pulled taunt across it and gives it a shiney appearance.

So I have no solutions for you......just similiar skin issues.
    Dx 1998

Yes!! Me too! Gosh I wish I had an answer for us all. My skin is also shiny ALL the time. It gets worse every once in a while, but the bare minimum is always a little bit shiny (oily feels like). And it doesn't look like other people look when they are sweaty or something.. it has this weird texture (coupled with the redness of what I presume to be rosacea).

I posted some pics here:
    http://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea_...ad.php?t=18644

Does yours look like this?

The shine looks potentially similar, but always hard to tell in photos. But I think it looks about right. I should note, as I think you implied as well, that I'm shiny all the time. This includes out of the shower and when one of those oil absorbing sheets picks up virtually nothing. I don't really understand. Seriously, ALWAYS. I know greasy skin--and I have it, definitely. But the shininess is it's own thing. Fresh out of the shower, pat dry face, no oil comes off, in frikkin' Siberia or some other dryer-than-dry place and it's the same--the shine is there.

And not to make too much light of something that really, truly drives me crazy and something I desperately want to get rid of more than any of my other complexion issues, BUT...
    from most of the previous responses, I feel like we have, ONCE AGAIN, reached that old refrain too familiar to pretty much all of us: "Yup, I've got the same problem! Had it for 15 years! No solution!"

What else is new? Hah hah. The day I--or anyone else--asks a question and the response is: "oh yeah, I had that! Easy to take care of--try this!" will be a cold day in hell, I figure. Well, maybe someday...

Well, I'm make this promise, at least: while I sincerely doubt I'll ever make any dent in this problem (as I can't seem to for any complexion problem), in the off chance i do, I will certainly report back with whatever i learn.

I really do wish I could help you guys.. maybe Lookout was onto something when he/she mentioned scleroderma? If none of your derms think that's it, I do believe PDL can help with pore and skin texture issues as well as redness.