Thread: After a flush...

Default After a flush...

After your face has flushed, do you get residual redness in your skin, and if so, how long does it last?

I flushed a lot last week and tonight my skin looks horrible
    Do you have any tricks for reducing redness, other than trigger avoidance?

Thank you

My skin looks really red for a long time after I flush, I mean, I always look red but I go dark red after a flush and then I too have more residual redness the following days. I wish I could help but I don't really know how to get that redness to go down quickly, aside from preventing the flush all together. For me after the flush I'll suck on ice cubes, put ice on my pulse points (wrists) etc. and just try to distract myself from the mirror and do something relaxing like reading, I don't know how to get the additional redness to go down though that follows the next days aside from staying calm and cool. Hope other people have some better advice!!
    Last edited by bluesky; 16th August 2009 at 02:18 AM.

My skin can look red and blotchy after a flush and this can last a few days. I find that doing something that calms me (like yoga and pilates) can help for some reason. Besides this just drinking lots of water.

Hi Helena

I find that having ice cream does really help cool my face and dissipate a flush that much more quickly. Of course I can only do this sometimes as it is not always possible to get ice cream and eat it while you are having a flush...don't I wish.

Sometimes my face can go back to normal complexion right away and sometimes my face can stay a bit oversensitive and irritated. The best thing is to make sure your face is well moisturised (as an overly dry face is more compromised and susceptible to flushing) and as Sarah says drink plenty of water and try and relax.
    I also find that cool air does help though that does go against the warm room flush theory- sometimes you just need some cool air on your face to help decrease flushy sensitive skin.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

hi ladies, thanks for the reply.

I'm in a bit of a state today. I woke up with my face red and my ears burning. I am wondering if I have an allergy to the parfum or something in my hair conditioner, as I washed and condiioned my hair last night and went to bed with it wet. I know perfume is no good in our products but I'd been fine with this one before.

I look just terrible and I just can't work out why! I feel like crying but it just makes things worse. The fear of it progressing and me having to become a recluse is overwhelming. I feel like I should break up with my boyfriend because he is perfect and I am not.

I am going to my family home for a week to revise for an exam at the end of August. Hopefully things will improve there. all summer I have been feeling ok about my skin. I was at home with my family, and it was pretty calm, cool and not as much redness. I felt good and life was fun.

Hi sparrow-legs

sorry to hear you are going through such a bad time at the moment. My face also is more red and sensitive after a flush for some time. I then use frequently "La roche Posay canned Spring water" on my face to cool down and get a refreshed feeling.

From you words I also sense that you are really stressed out and anxious about your rosacea which I can totally sympathize with. You might want to consider taking an antidepressiva for some time just to break this cycle. Not for the antidepressant action but for the possibility of reduncing redness and flushing. Paroxetin helps me much (my main problem is blushing and flushing in social situations followed by hot rooms). It's not a cure and it has nasty sideeffects (it makes me tired and I gained a lot of weight) but it gave me at least a little bit of "normal" life back.

Best wishes,
    Barbara

Hi Sparrow,

I relate to all that you say, it IS possible that your more suspectable to flushing at the moment and the fragrance just aggravated it.

I know for me certain fragrance can actually be a trigger, especially when it's in such close contact with my face and nose such as my hair. I'm actually trying to look into some more natural based shampoos and conditioners right now to avoid this problem of being a flushed mess after a shower each and every time, and actually even my dove soap may have to go soon as the fragrance is a little much on my nose at times!

I find for me strong and irritating fragrances first bother my nose, which then irritates my face, some fragrance is fine, but certain ones my nose just does not agree with whatsoever. Other fragrances that can be triggering for me are air freshener, and the smell/fumes of industrial cleaning products, also certain perfumes!! Bascially anything that is really strong, artificial smelling, chemically, etc. is not good for me.

bluesky

If you have been eating a lot of junk food and smoking, then it’s time for you to do some “spring cleaning” of your body! Otherwise, no matter what you use to try to save your skin may not work for you. Flush out all the toxins in your skin with these cleansing products