Thread: 'Avene gentle cleanser' help..anyone used it?

Default 'Avene gentle cleanser' help..anyone used it?

Hey folks...on the eternal quest for products I can tolerate (so far none!) I've got a trial size of 'Avene extremely gentle no rinse cleanser' that is supposedly for rosacea/intolerant etc skin. Tried on small patch of face this morning. It says to apply with finger tips then tissue off. Well, I put it on, and it just seemed to sink right into my skin and there wasn't anything to tissue off! Is this right? Don't want to rinse as this irritates. Just wondered if anyone else had used and could advise please? Ta lots....xx

I've used this quite a bit.

You just need to experiment to find what's best for you.

For me - I've found that 'rinsing' off by using a wet rag/paper towel, is better than taking it off dry. Also, you maybe shouldn't try too hard to get it all off; I mean, its half way between a cleanser and a moisturizer, so some of it is going to stay on: just depends what you want. Since it contains no oils or anything, it shouldn't clog...its just not going to super-cleanse. But then its a mild cleanser, so that's what you get.

Default Cheers

Thank you for that! Will do that and see how I go on....

its the only cleanser that i would use....have used it everyday for 2 years without irritation.
    love it

Unhappy thanks

Thank you for the replies. I used it and thought 'wow, I think my skin might be tolerating this one!'.....however later that day the burn came and all night long I was burning really bad. .....*que 'Queens' Another one Bites the dust! If I counted up the amout of money I've spent on cleansers and moisturisers I've bought to try I'd have a really nice holiday booked!....back to the drawing board .

The only thing I would say is that it isn't as 'extremely gentle' as maybe it is marketed.

It contains several surfactants/cleaning agents - 3 or so, including sodium lauryl sulphate, which is known to be pretty harsh. Now, I think that in this product, these ingredients are in there in tiny quantities, much less than a regular cleanser. But, still, they're there.

Other mild cleansers, like the La Roche Posay, and a lot of more down-market ones, don't contain any cleaning agents. As you'd expect, they're probably not as good at cleansing - although they do work, in a different way.

So, if you're still having problems with the Avene, one of these others might be an option.

Hi squirrelgirl6,

I've used this cleanser a few times (with rinsing) and stopped because it irritated my skin. it didn't cause any burning feeling or anything like that, it just left my skin a little redder than usual.
    I also recommend the Toleriane cleanser by La Roche Posay, it is truly an "extremely gentle cleanser". I also like the Ultra calming cleanser by Dermalogica.
    By the way, I realized that when my skin is irritated (even a little), it's best to wait with the cleansing until the skin is calm again and in the meantime just wash it with water.

cool avatar, by the way! when I was young I was really afraid of this witch (but still loved the movie... )
    Last edited by moka; 9th August 2009 at 10:11 AM.

only problem with the toleraine cleanser is that it DOES NOT get physical sunscreens or makeup off.

Hi squirrelgirl6

I use this Avene cleanser since years, it's the only one that I can tolerate. But I don't use it undiluted. So first i put lots of water on my face, then i put just a small amount (perhaps size of a hazelnut or according to yout needs) of cleanser on my wet hands, rub them to spread cleanser all over my hands and then i gently wash the face with my hands. After that I rinse the cleanser of my face with heaps of comfortly cool water. I have very oily skin but it's enough to clean it. Of course if I have sunscreen or make up on my face I have to do this procedure a second time in order to remove everything.

Barbara