Thread: New Treatment with existing approved drugs

Default New Treatment with existing approved drugs

Not sure if this has been posted. I thought it was interesting and hopeful. An exisiting approved drug to treat Rosacea would be great.
    Would love to find more info on what drugs they are talking about. Maybe someone who knows something about patent searches would have better luck than me.

http://techtransfer.universityofcali...NCD/19149.html

I think it is almost certain that they are referring to nafamostat mesylate, and the other related drugs (gabexate mesilate, camostat mesilate, etc). Nafamostat is the compound being used in the trial with DermaZaide. Nafamostat is 'existing' and it has been used for pancreatitis for 20 years.

They could also be referring to other protease inhibitors without being aware of the fact that they are, apparently, rather toxic to humans.

...but I strongly suspect its nafamostat... The doctor in charge of this trial, i.e. of DermaZaide, is from that same university.
    Last edited by TheMediumDog; 5th August 2009 at 06:38 AM.

I couldn't work that patent number. Its a world patent number, but there may be something wrong with the format or something.

Incidentally, because (theoretically) the same bad guys may be responsible both for setting up the inflammation of rosacea AND for depleting the barrier function of the skin, the same drug is also seen as possibly being of use in atopic dermatitis/eczema, where (again theoretically) barrier function-depletion is seen as a key factor.

As we speak, there are Phase II trials being carried out, using this compound, for AD.

(Btw its the same compound, nafamostat, because if you read through this patent application, and follow the links - the company was bought by the company carrying out these trials, etc etc - you can see it matches up).

Now, personally, speaking as a layman, I think that they (rather idiotically, it must be said) are neglecting the fact that cathelicidin is supposedly downregulated in atopic dermatitis, and this drug may inhibit it further. ...There is a possibility though, that it will also change the form of cathlicidin, from being a pro-inflammatory to an antimicrobial, which would be of benefit for AD's. I guess we wait to see any news from the trials.

Personally, I've considered contacting this company, especially as they are in the UK (where I am). I don't know. Guess we'll see how things go with DermaZaide first. I'd feel like a bit of a whore. Someone else could do it though. See if they could get something.
    Last edited by TheMediumDog; 5th August 2009 at 07:54 AM.

Very interesting, thanks for the info.