Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help on diagnosis please.

Default Help on diagnosis please.

A few weeks ago my face and neck broke out pretty bad with little red splotches and some small white puss bumps. The red areas were mostly under the skin but some slightly raised. Over the past couple of years I have had this same thing in smaller numbers(just a few at a time)without the puss bumps that I thought were just from sun damage and just had them lasered off. This time however they have broken out big time and won't go away. I went to my dermatologist and she says that it is early stages or Rosacea. She put me on Oracea and metrogel some 3-4 weeks ago and I haven't gotten any better. I realize that it takes more time but 1st wanted to make sure that I don't have something else rather than Rosacea. Sweatingexercise seems to make it worse but can't say for sure that this is the only thing. Even without sweating some days are worse than others. I am 41 years old. I have included some pics. Expand these for better look. Can take more if necessary. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
    Attached Images

Hi.

I would go with the diagnosis that your derm has made.
    Rosacea builds up throughout the years.

I was around 22 years old when I first noticed redness under my eyes, and 26 when all hell broke loose and I had to see a doctor for the stinging, burning redness.

Rosacea can be controlled, and IMO your derm has taken the right steps to do it.
    Hope you get well soon!

Hi and welcome to the forum

Well it might well be rosacea and as you say hopefully the antibiotics will kick in fairly soon. You dont mention flushing, do you flush at all? Are the bumps on your neck the same as the ones on your face??

I am sure your derm is right however from a purely lay point of view it does also sound similar to folliculitis:
    http://www.dermnet.org.nz/acne/folliculitis.html

Here is a link to some handy tips on how to deal with rosacea:

http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Best wishes

Sarah

Yes Sarah, I do have some light flushing. The bumps and redness on my neck are the same as on my face. Thanks

I think your best bet is to assume that there is some rosacea and treat your skin accordingly (carefully, use sun screen,take the antibioitics, healthy diet, etc). This sort of approach should at least do no harm to your skin, sometimes it is a matter of trial and error with both diagnosis and treatment.

Hi Saltboat,

Welcome to the RF.

Oracea and metrogel can take time to work so it may help you yet. Oracea took 4 months to fully work for me.

Make sure you take Oracea without any calcium products (like dairy) and without anything containing iron and magnesium as these will decrease absorption of the drug. I find it best to take first thing in the AM and wait at least an hour or 2 before I eat anything though if it causes stomach upset you can take with a bit of food. Just make sure there is no calcium, iron or magnesium in it.

Hang in there as most rosacea treatments can take time to work but you will eventually find what works best for you. It can be a matter of trial and error and patience is key. It is best to only try 1 or 2 new things at a time so you can tell what is working for you.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

You mentioned wearing sunscreen. Does exposure to the sun make it worse?

Quote Originally Posted by saltboat2 View Post
    You mentioned wearing sunscreen. Does exposure to the sun make it worse?
    You should always wear sunblock on your face when outside. Unprotected sun exposure can definitely exacerbate rosacea.
    http://rosacea-support.org/sun-linke...ame-first.html

My skin looks quite similar to this at the moment. I've been "diagnosed" at different times as it being rosacea, folliculitis, sebderm or possibly just acne from both GPs and a dermatologist.

So I'm afraid I can only be as helpful as they have been - i.e. not very

I'm taking 50mg of Doxycycline once a day at the moment, but it's only been three weeks.

Melissa, sorry to bother you again but wanted to run something else by you. Some of these things I can ask my doctor later but until then I want some more direction.
    You mentioned not taking medicine with calcium. I am assuming that calcium is not one of the things that causes rosacea? What I plan to do is wake up very early take my medicine with water and then eat something 2 hours later. I take a protien shake with milk every morning along with oatmeal and another shake at night before bed. I guess this will be ok as long as I wait 2 hours after taking medicine?? I also drink coffee every day. Normally 1 cup first thing. I guess avoiding caffeine may or could help also? Seems from what I have read different things trigger rosacea and everyone is different. Thanks