Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overly oily/sweaty

Default Overly oily/sweaty

Weird question, but it's been bugging me. =P

I've lately been flushing a lot more than usual. I'm also breaking into a sweat throughout the day for no reason. On top of that, I'm extremely oily all the time (I go through at least 20 oil blotting sheets a day and still am greasy). I know most people with Rosacea flushing are quite dry, but does anyone else experience this? It's starting to drive me nuts.

More info: This oiliness/sweating started when I got Rosacea and acne in early '08, but went away while I was on Accutane. It came back about 3 weeks ago when I stopped taking Accutane pills.

Thanks.

Hi Lauren,

Are you serious - 20 blotting sheets?

Do you think either you are using too drying products which is creating more oil production or are you using to emolient or creamy products that are making you greasy quickly? Or, do you think it's hormones? I think I read you are using clindamycin, are you using the solution or foam? These are more mattifying than the lotions, and I use these on my t-zone and forehead occassionally in the morning. I really like them. Other options that bring down oil and help exfoliate and clear pores - sulfa cleansers, salicylic acid, mandelic acid, lactic acid, and retinoids. Benzoyl peroxide brings oil down but often this is too strong for our skins - but if diluted with a moisteriser it could be a possibility if your skin is sturdier. Masks with a little kaolin to dry out but that have glycerin in them to hydrate are good. I didn't have good luck over time with Finacea, but you might. It is mattifying and you might find it works for your skin. T-zone mattifiers, like DermaDoctor's Tease Zone, OC Eight, or Clinique could be an option too. In the past, I tried Derma Doctor and OCEight - I liked DermaDoctor's a little better. Lastly, for hormones, BCP like YAZ/Yasmin reduce oil.

All of these could be options to discuss with your Derm. to see what could help reduce the oil without stripping your skin.

Yvette

Do you have seb derm? the only time my skin has been really oily is when I had seb derm flairs.

Thank you for the replies.

Yvette - I am this oily even without using any topicals, so I don't think it's a reaction to irritating my skin. Right now I'm just using Clindamycin gel, which I was hoping would perhaps dry my skin out a little, but it makes it a little oilier, so I just use it at night. I'm waiting for that retinol moisturizer to come in the mail so I can use that in the mornings.

Phlika - I have had seb derm in the past, and I do sometimes get mild "scaley-ness" on my cheekbones and between my brows, which I exfoliate off after a shower. I can't use hydrocortisones anymore because they make my Rosacea flare quite a lot. What other treatments are there for seb derm? I also notice more redness in my face when I'm oily as opposed to when I am drier - could this also be seb derm?

Surprisingly, I haven't tried hormonal treatment for my skin problems until now - I've been on Ortho Tri Cyclen for two weeks. I haven't noticed a different in oil production or flushing, so I'm wondering how long I should stay on it before trying a different hormonal medication?

Thanks again.

I find that pau d'arco useful for when it is bad. I dont take it all the time though, maybe a few days out of each month.

I'm interested in your mention of the sweat thing. I've sweat from my face more than normal ever since I got rosacea, it is incredibly odd to me. A lot of times I'll feel like I'm flushing, and when I look I'm not red, just sweating.

I've always been very active so face sweat isn't completely new to me, but it seems to happen with less activity than it used to. In fact, this was the first skin change I ever noticed.

Hi Lauren

I have seb derm not rosacea and also have very oily skin. Even if sat in an air conditioned envrioment my face looks 'shiny' after an hour or so - I just visit the bathroom and blot with paper.

I used cortisone creams on my face for an extended period of time and I thought the two may be connected (perhaps they are?), but now I just think that it is a sympton of the seb derm and accept it.

FYI I changed to a low carb diet about 4 weeks (no refined sugars, caffeine or alcohol either yikes! ) and recently found a cleanser (Calmin - www.calmin.co.uk if you're interested) which does not irritate my skin in the slightest. I used to use a emollient but it just left my skin looking greasy and this does not. In addition, for the last week I have also been putting a very mild solution of a coal tar based shampoo on my face in the mornings and wash off after 10 minutes. My skin is the best it has been for 10 years (or maybe it was just finding this site? ) I don't know if any of the above have been responsible for that, but it seems likely that one of them is.

I don't know if you can buy where you are, but there are also silicone based 'anti shine' matte gels available which will help cover oily skin. They may not be sutable for everyone but could be worth trying.
    Last edited by slugger3939; 10th May 2009 at 09:53 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Lauren,

I should have added that I have also been drinking at least two litres of water a day (yes, I was extremely ignorant and never realised the benefits of drinking plenty of water ) Small changes can make a big difference.

So does anyone have any theories about the increased facial sweating? Mine is that the face is just more hot than normal, so suderiferous glands kick in to cool things down. Anyone else?

Increased testosterone can cause the sweating/oiliness. I would get your hormones checked out (blood test). Could be an androgen problem (thats what i have) or even something serious like PCOS. Get it checked.