Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the best treatment for P&P rosacea?

I also have only the p&p type rosacea (I think?). I was originally rx: lotriderm for my chest/face "rash" I thought I got from a hot tub. I used this for 6 months until I could see a dermatologist. When I finally saw her she said my face was now "addicted" to this cream that is never supposed to be used on the face and no longer than 2 weeks. My derm said it was a type of acne...real helpful and gave me retin A and oral antibiotics. I tried the retin A, but it stung and burned and I did not want to take the antibiotics and never did.

My family dr says it rosacea and rx a cream: noritate 1% metronidazole 1%. I rarely use it anymore since it will get worse once I stop using it..kinda like the lotriderm.
    I worked in medi spa clinics and had access to IPL's, peels, lasers and high end skin care products. In the end, all my effort and $ spent on products resulted in a lessening of the "pimple zone". I also went the natural skin care product route. As well as using nothing but water to clean my face and no creams/lotions. 2 days ago a friend gave me a skin care product she is selling to try out. If it does anything for the better, I'll mention it in the future.

What helped me (to a point):
    *IPLs for pimples but it only would last a month until they returned.
    *selsum blue in the shower for face/chest.
    *Aquafolia skin care line (its a canadian company and not sure how easy they are to buy online?)
    *sunshine. In the summer my skin almost fully clears up. I don't tan in a bed, but might get desperate one day.
    *vitamin D pills

Default New and Confused

Hi all! Well after almost 35 years of very nice skin I went through some MAJOR hard times and started breaking out...or so I thought. After the normal changes I made to treat what I thought was acne only made it worse. So finally went to a derm and here I am. Type 2 I have been overwhelmed to say the least for the first few weeks...trying this, stopping that, etc...and while I understand things need to change to help my condition PLEASE tell me to live life freaked out isnt necesscary??

I hardly have any redness...only when I get really upset and cry does my face turn purple and stay that way for a day or so...but otherwise very little redness. Where I am lucky is with the papules...man I hate those things. They just sit there.

Melissa I too like you tried Doxy and after 6 weeks I gave up. Things werent horrible but I expected to pop a pill and have my clear skin back and when that didnt happen I wasnt happy. I have started minocycline now for about 5 days and I am still getting at least one new pap each morning. Is this normal? I use Finacea in the morning and Metrogel at night and though they seem to help they arent keeping them gone. Am I bound to have paps to some degree on my face for the rest of my life? Will I ever experience a clear day, week, month?? Any feedback, kindness, etc...would be so nice. Will the mino help prevent new paps from arriving? If so, how long before that is the case? Im doing all the other stuff regarding diet and such...however I will note that stress hasnt been easy to rid as this rosacea crap is a big stress ball in itself.

Please help
    Carin

Quote Originally Posted by Ckeen View Post
    Hi all! Well after almost 35 years of very nice skin I went through some MAJOR hard times and started breaking out...or so I thought. After the normal changes I made to treat what I thought was acne only made it worse. So finally went to a derm and here I am. Type 2 I have been overwhelmed to say the least for the first few weeks...trying this, stopping that, etc...and while I understand things need to change to help my condition PLEASE tell me to live life freaked out isnt necesscary??

I hardly have any redness...only when I get really upset and cry does my face turn purple and stay that way for a day or so...but otherwise very little redness. Where I am lucky is with the papules...man I hate those things. They just sit there.

Melissa I too like you tried Doxy and after 6 weeks I gave up. Things werent horrible but I expected to pop a pill and have my clear skin back and when that didnt happen I wasnt happy. I have started minocycline now for about 5 days and I am still getting at least one new pap each morning. Is this normal? I use Finacea in the morning and Metrogel at night and though they seem to help they arent keeping them gone. Am I bound to have paps to some degree on my face for the rest of my life? Will I ever experience a clear day, week, month?? Any feedback, kindness, etc...would be so nice. Will the mino help prevent new paps from arriving? If so, how long before that is the case? Im doing all the other stuff regarding diet and such...however I will note that stress hasnt been easy to rid as this rosacea crap is a big stress ball in itself.

Please help
    Carin
    Hi Carin. So sorry this has happened and is up setting you so. Just want to throw out there that just because changing your diet helps many people, does not mean developing skin issues was your "fault" in some way.

Be reassured that many people have cleared up their skin. You can too. It may take doing some serious research though. I don't know many people who have "popped a pill" as you say, and cleared right up. Although if they did, they wouldn't be driven to seek out and post about it on a forum then, would they? As you insightfully note, stress is often the straw that broke the camels back.

Glad you found us. Keep reading and studying. You will find your answers.

Default What can I expect from minocycline to clear up p&p?

I've been on minocycline 100mg/2x day for about 16 days and while I "thnk" its helping I still have some small new ones popping up and the older ones hanging on. What can I expect from oral treatment?

Quote Originally Posted by Ckeen View Post
    I've been on minocycline 100mg/2x day for about 16 days and while I "thnk" its helping I still have some small new ones popping up and the older ones hanging on. What can I expect from oral treatment?
    When I used minocycline it worked pretty quickly for me, I saw improvement within a few days. I never saw total clearance of P&Ps, maybe 75% improvement. I eventually had to stop mino because it caused pigmentation changes in my finger nails and gums. Hopefully it will kick in for you soon and you'll be happy with the results.

-Dave-

The Oracea was great for me, I mean it was never 100% gone I would always have one maybe two, but I could live with that. Nothing else worked, finacea, metrogel, nothing. I have come to the conclusion that it is caused by demodex mites and my case and I am not working on treating it with TTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisha View Post
    The Oracea was great for me, I mean it was never 100% gone I would always have one maybe two, but I could live with that. Nothing else worked, finacea, metrogel, nothing. I have come to the conclusion that it is caused by demodex mites and my case and I am not working on treating it with TTO.
    I've been on Doryx (doxycycline) 150 mg per day for about 6.5 weeks and using finacea at night for about the same length of time. I feel like just in the last week or so have I seen some improvement, so in my case anyway it has taken some time. I am also using CeraVe cleanser and moisturizer twice per day as well as part of my regimen. The first month on Doryx and finacea did not go well, my skin looked really bad, and I wanted to give up on it, but was encouraged to stay on it for at least 2 months. Right now things are improved, but certainly not perfect. I still have light redness in both my cheeks and 5-6 active p&ps. This is down from a month ago when my cheeks seemed more inflamed and I had 15-20 inflamed p&ps. My hope is that my current regimen was at least control the severe outbreaks.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkboy76 View Post
    I've been on Doryx (doxycycline) 150 mg per day for about 6.5 weeks and using finacea at night for about the same length of time. I feel like just in the last week or so have I seen some improvement, so in my case anyway it has taken some time. I am also using CeraVe cleanser and moisturizer twice per day as well as part of my regimen. The first month on Doryx and finacea did not go well, my skin looked really bad, and I wanted to give up on it, but was encouraged to stay on it for at least 2 months. Right now things are improved, but certainly not perfect. I still have light redness in both my cheeks and 5-6 active p&ps. This is down from a month ago when my cheeks seemed more inflamed and I had 15-20 inflamed p&ps. My hope is that my current regimen was at least control the severe outbreaks.
    I did doxy a few years ago but my body is really sensitive to antibiotics and it throws off my bacterial balance and I get really bad thrush and yeast problems. Besides that my face looked beautiful lol. It came down to which one did I want to live with the yeast issues or the p&p. With Oracea I didn't have that issue at all. If you don't have any sensitivities to Doxy it works really well.

Hi
    Ivermectin worked for me. I posted in "Photos."

I am on metrocream for 6 months now, things are much better but not perfect, every time I try to stop using it, my pimps become more visible and new ones tend to appear. I started using a TTO cream made by a local pharmaceutical company and I would like to ask if these two creams-metro and TTO- can be combined in any way. Should I use one in the morning and the other one in the evening, or could I put them both simultaneously?
    My second question is: the TTO product has two versions, a cream (just TTO+cucumber extract+jojoba esters) and a lotion (TTO+azelaic acid+salicylic acid+panthenol). I started using the cream and it's drying my skin, I think that the lotion could much more effective for the p&p, but I am afraid that it will worsen the dryness, because of the salicylic acid.