Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for that perfect sunscreen...

Default Looking for that perfect sunscreen...

Title is self-explanatory. I'm very sick and tired of searching for a sunscreen that won't irritate my skin, that's water or at least sweat proof, doesn't leave a white cast, that isn't greasy and doesn't contain glycerin. I know, I'm picky, but let me explain:

We're all familiar with wanting products with non-irritating ingredients - no alcohol, no fragrance, etc so that's pretty much a no-brainer; I like to walk and run, so I need something that won't sting and turn white from sweating; my skin is fair enough without rosacea symptoms that I don't need to look like a corpse any more than usual, so micronized zinc oxide would be ideal; I'm fairly acne prone, so I don't need anything with heavy moisturizers; lastly, it gets quite humid in the summer here and since glycerin soaks moisture from the air I'd end up looking like I stuck my face in a grease pan.

Sunscreens I have tried since having rosacea are:

Eucerin for sensitive skin
    - leaves a horrible white cast

Coppertone Waterbabies
    - would be absolutely perfect if not for the white cast left behind

Cetaphil - the glycerin in this makes my face look horribly shiny, no matter if I wear a powder over it or not

Paula's Choice sunscreens
    - before the rosacea I used the Skin Balancing Mattifying Lotion SPF 15. Now I realize that the SPF is too low. More recently I tried out Extra Care Non-Greasy Sunscreen SPF 45. I wanted this to be my HG sunscreen so badly, but mere seconds after applying it my face stung like crazy. I tried it again the next day to make sure; same thing.

Aveeno Baby sunscreen SPF 55
    - this is what I'm currently using. It's okay, but it leaves a slight white cast that takes a while to blend in properly and the alcohol in it sometimes stings my face either when I apply it and/or wash it off at night, and when sweating. Doesn't seem to make the rosacea worse though thankfully.

Every time I go to the store I look for any sunscreens that I'd be able to tolerate, and they all either have fragrance, alcohol, glycerin, or all of the above and searching online is getting really tiresome so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have exactly the same problem with the sunscreens available. There are so many ingredients to avoid (don't forget Oxybenzone, this can be your problem with the Paula's Choice.

The Zinc and Titanium ones are very good, but they don't blend in very well and are clogging your pores.
    The chemical ones have very bad ingredients (alcohol, parfum, oxybenzone, parabens, silicones, mineral oil, etc)

I have tried:

Paula's Choice mineral sunscreen 15
    Clogged my pores very badly

Vanicream 30
    Blended in good, but was too heavey for my oily skin

Vanicream 35
    Didn't blend in well enough and was too heavy

Avene mineral 50
    Didn't blend in at all (awful)

La Roche Posay fluide 50
    Was not heavy, but didn't block the sun very well and irritated my face

Now I am using Clinique City Block 25
    Actually this is a good not too heavy sunscreen, but I don't like the brown colour (it stains) and when you start to sweat (with sports), it becomes caky (very strange)

I have the same problem. I have no rosacea symptoms (I use Metrogel) until I apply sunscreen. The chemical ones burn and the mineral ones still manage to irritate and cause small pimples. I have tried Avene 50, Clinique City Block 25, Neutrogena Sensitive Skin 60, Nature's Gate Mineral 20, Ombrelle. I'm running out of options because there aren't many mineral sunscreens available in Canada. Any other options?

I should point out that I went to a dermatologist to request a sunscreen. I told him that my skin was irritated by avobenzone. He said I should try Parsol 1789 instead. I said that avobenzone and Parsol 1789 were different names for the same sunscreen. He wouldn't believe me. I was appalled. How can a dermatologist not know such a thing? We argued about it awhile and then I gave up. He gave me a sample of a La Roche-Posay chemical sunscreen that burned my face off.

Default Perfect Sunscreen

My dermatologist recommended Elta MD UV Physical SPF 41, and I really like it. I've been using it for a yr. now. It is tinted and doesn't irritate my skin. You can get it online at Derm Store.

Default Perfect Sunscreen

Just to back-up what Angel Dog posted about Elta MD sunscreen, I recently purchased this at my derm's office, and all have to say is, the search has ended! I have tried alot, so this is a blessing. Pretty affordable as well--it was $25.00 for a 3-oz. tube. The color of the tint is pretty dark looking, but it melts into my very light skin and gives me a smooth, even color that allows me to go out of the house without heavy foundation. I love it, I love it, I love it! I have tried previously:

Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF 55 PA+++

Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55

Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunblock Lotion SPF 60 and 30

to name a few.

I have used the Linda Sy ZincO, but this is cheaper and I had a sample of this from my derm, that convinced me this is the only way for me to go.

Thanks,

Lori

Thank you Lori and AngelDog! I'll have to try it - their sunscreen looks pretty good.

Default Looking for that perfect sunscreen

I use Procyte Z-Silc, which works beautifully for me, but does not seem to give me quite enough protection from sun spots.

I just read about a high-zinc product called Burnout, that is supposed to be wonderful, and very good for highly reactive skin. They have a website, and the product is offered via other websites as well. I'm thinking of giving it a try myself.

Other products I have tried:

Nia24: Good texture, no reactions, expensive

Obagi Healthy Skin: Good texture, no reactions, expensive

Avene Extreme 50+: Oddly dry texture, no reactions, expensive

VMV Armada: Fantastic texture, no reactions, expensive, and not sure if it offers enough protection based on the ingredients listed

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys

I decided to try the Elta MD Sport sunscreen which just arrived a few days ago and I must say I love it. It's white when I first put it on but blends and absorbs in seamlessly thereafter and it leaves my face no more "dewy" than normal despite the castor oil in it. The texture is wonderful and doesn't "pill up" like Eucerin and Aveeno and is smooth enough to be a great foundation primer. And of course when I go running/walking it doesn't sting! So far, the only thing I don't like about this sunscreen is how much it costs compared to what I'm used to (the best of the worst sunscreens are all $9-10) but it's worth it.

I used to use Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection but zinc is really drying on my skin.

I have tried a ton and they all seem to make my rosacea worse. For now I am sticking to the SPF in my makeup and a big hat. I am on the search to find a good one before summer.

Might try the Elta.....