Thread: Doxycycline

Default Doxycycline

Hi all,

After getting some bad ocular Rosacea symptoms after my Accutane treatment, I went to my ophthalmologist. She told me to clean my eyes well and use baby shampoo around my eyes, then report back in two weeks. Those two weeks are up and I haven't seen improvement. Last time she suggested trying antibiotics, so I guess that's what I'll get this weekend when I see her.

How long can it take antibiotics like Doxy to work for ocular Rosacea?

Lauren,
    I don't have time to search right now and honestly I am not sure I would ever find the article but it states that baby shampoo and water may actually be more aggravating than not doing anything. Lid scrubs are best for clogged lid glands vs the baby shampoo and water so it may be worth trying that instead.

As for your doxy question I am not sure how long it would take but many people have experienced positive results re their ocular rosacea with the doxy. I would try it and see. I would give it a few weeks at least.

Good luck!

Melissa

Hi Lauren,

I take Oracea and it does help with the ocular rosacea. It seems to help with redness and swelling. I can't remember exactly how long it took to improve, but would guess it to be a few weeks or so. It's hard to tell because the changes were gradual. The eyes aren't totally cured but are much better.

Melissa, I bookmarked the article you are referring to but can't get into it anymore. I believe this is it: http://cme.ufl.edu/selfstudy/ethis/blepharitis.pdf. It was an excellent, lengthy article and did say in there that baby shampoo is too harsh for eyes because it's like a detergent. I used it for a week or so and it made my eyes horribly itchy - it was awful. Lauren, you should try the lid scrubs. They are much more gentle, but scrub (wipe)gently.

Thanks bealjanier!!

Too bad about the article no longer being available but thanks so much for remembering the details of it and for sharing your experience

This is interesting

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/archi...hp?t-4957.html

Dr Thimons is saying it is just as effective to use a warm compress as a lid scrub to cleanse the lids vs lid scrubs and certainly not baby shampoo.

You're welcome! Funny about the hard boiled egg Dr. Thimons is suggesting to heat and put on your eyes! I think I'd rather dye it than do that.

Unhappy Re: Doxycycline and ocular rosacea

I used to use doxycycline for my blepharitis symptoms.

Unfortunately, about 2 or 3 months ago I used this and I got a bad reaction.

Then, a dermatologist put me on Minocycline and that made my face swell up, got very hard and red. I am on my third course of prednisone now to clear it up. I probably should be on 30 mg a day indefinitely to really stop the redness.

Anyway, now my eyelids are crusty and hurt somewhat. Also, this being early June the molds, tree pollens, etc. are in the air in the Midwest and my eyes hurt worse from this.

It's enough to just have seasonal allergies, but when you ALSO have to suffer with Rosacea and blepharitis, it can be just miserable!

I wish there were other antibiotics or something I could take for my Rosacea symptoms, cutaneous and ocular, that would help besides the only game in town being the tetracyclines! I know the medical community swears by these, but if you are allergic to ALL of them, what can you do? I also take flaxseed oil, 4 capsules a day but these don't help that much. Or maybe you need to take them for 3 weeks or so to see improvement.

Thanks,