Thread: Azelaic acid vs. Sulfacetamide

Default Azelaic acid vs. Sulfacetamide

I was just wondering if anyone has used either one - or preferably both of them and can give a comparison between the two.

If is one more drying, does one of them help the small facial thread veins better than the other, does one have a better texture, etc.

I have mild rosacea with some thread veins - I also hormonal/stress type breakouts with hard under-the-skin pimples that sometimes turn into pus-filled ones/sometimes just stay under and take forever to go away. My skin also tends to get a little flaky around the mouth/nose/cheek area.

Thanks.

Between the two sulfacetamide was better all around for p&p's, works great for those. Not sure if it works too well for flushing, since i dont notice a difference on it or off of it.

However, azelaic acid seemed to help my flushing a little bit but if i used too much or too often it aggravated it quite a bit. It was also quite drying, which sulfacetamide wasnt really.

tor123,

Ive used both finacea (azelic acid) and Klaron (sulfacetimide). I was actually posting in a similar thread:
    http://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea_...ad.php?t=18615

I've used finacea before by itself--I felt it helped with the intense areas of redness on my cheeks, but made me break out in other places. Made my perioral derm (around my nose, under my mouth) worse. I feel like it also helped my skin be less reactive and less prone to flushes. However you have to make sure that you use a REALLY small amount. REALLY. LIke, barely cover the skin and you're fine. Also, I had to skip a day periodically because it was a little too intense even in small amounts. Like every 4th day, I'd not put it on and give my skin a break.
    Klaron helped with texture and reducing redness in some areas, just not the really intense stuff on my cheeks. I felt like it was doing nothing for the first 3 weeks, then I really started to see improvement.
    Been using them in combination for the last month, roughly, and they seem to work pretty well together.

I don't have thread veins so i can't really comment on that.
    I used to get cystic acne when i was younger--not sure if this is the "under the skin" type you are talking about. A combination of hormone therapy and oral AB helped with that. In fact if you do have cystic acne, I would not even play with topicals--I would go right to the oral antibiotics. I was on oral doxycycline for many years and it was quite helpful (amoxicillin and erythromycin were also helpful alternatives) for the cysts.

Best of luck

Thanks for the replies.

I've been using a compounded 15% azelaic acid solution nightly for almost 2 weeks now, right after I had my first IPL. It still burns slightly for the first 5 minutes if I put on too much. It also makes me peel a little around the chin if I put on too much there.
    It does seem to reduce redness on the cheeks and nose.
    I also sometimes put benzoyl peroxide on after it has dried to spot treat. (I know that benzoyl peroxide is supposed to be a big no-no for rosacea, but it is the only thing that really works to dry out pustules, and I'm trying to wean myself off it if my skin continues to improve on azelaic acid).

BTW, I find that azelaic acid seems to exfoliate in a similar way to Differin - in that it can give me a bit of a 'shiny' or 'radiant' look (depending on what you want to call it), except unlike Differin, it doesn't seem to make my skin redder and more sensitive to sun/windburn/cold.

Finally, has anyone ordered Finacea from Australia at the epharmacy site? Did it work as well as the American version? How long does it take to ship here? (Im in Canada)

The Australian version will be the same thing. It is an OTC product here, which is why you can order it online.

I have been looking into the benefits of azelaic acid as well. I have read that, along with treating acne, it has been used for hair growth. Has anyone noticed side effects of hair growing on their faces?? (women in particular)

Quote Originally Posted by mutantfrog View Post
    tor123,

Ive used both finacea (azelic acid) and Klaron (sulfacetimide). I was actually posting in a similar thread:
    http://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea_...ad.php?t=18615

I've used finacea before by itself--I felt it helped with the intense areas of redness on my cheeks, but made me break out in other places. Made my perioral derm (around my nose, under my mouth) worse. I feel like it also helped my skin be less reactive and less prone to flushes. However you have to make sure that you use a REALLY small amount. REALLY. LIke, barely cover the skin and you're fine. Also, I had to skip a day periodically because it was a little too intense even in small amounts. Like every 4th day, I'd not put it on and give my skin a break.
    Klaron helped with texture and reducing redness in some areas, just not the really intense stuff on my cheeks. I felt like it was doing nothing for the first 3 weeks, then I really started to see improvement.
    Been using them in combination for the last month, roughly, and they seem to work pretty well together.

I don't have thread veins so i can't really comment on that.
    I used to get cystic acne when i was younger--not sure if this is the "under the skin" type you are talking about. A combination of hormone therapy and oral AB helped with that. In fact if you do have cystic acne, I would not even play with topicals--I would go right to the oral antibiotics. I was on oral doxycycline for many years and it was quite helpful (amoxicillin and erythromycin were also helpful alternatives) for the cysts.

Best of luck
    Hello,

For is so frustrating that now that I'm 30 I still get ocassional cysts, mostly on my neck or chin. It can be just one or many like last november, but I feel sooooo miserable and with low self esteem. I don't usually see people with bad skin other than me, but if I do sometimes its worse than me and that makes me feel guilty for being upset for that one cyst. Most of the time I hate being the guy with bad skin, having people telling you "poor soul that does nothing for his skin" how to treat itI don't want to go out or to see people. It sucks because most of the time my skin looks great but then I have that huge cyst that hurts. I take Advil to get rid of the pain, I don't know if that really works and I don't understand why the Sulfur mask from DERMAdoctor works on some of these pimples overnight to make them go away but there are sometimes were it makes them worse.
    31 year old male from Puerto Rico
    Skin type: oily

Clinique Mild Liquid Soap
    Clinique Instant Mineral Relief Powder
    Clinique Almost Powder Makeup SPF 15
    Metrogel 1%
    DERMAdoctor Acne Control Serum
    DERMAdoctor Born to be Mild for seb derm
    SOLODYN 65mg:
    Supplements
    Digestive Enzymes Veggie caps
    Probiotic 60 Billion