Thread: Where to start...and need advice.

Default Where to start...and need advice.

About two years ago, I sought out a dermatologist because of visible caps on the sides of my nose. One doctor told me I had rosacea and another said no, sun damage. The second dermatologist treated the caps with electrocautery and they went away. I Felt much better about my skin.

Fast forward two years and of course more caps have surfaced. I instantly go back and forth between being rosacea and more sun damage. I have tried IPL twice this time, but I have not seen any reduction in the caps severity. I feel, however, that I do have rosacea.

I was always a blusher when I was in school - easily embarrassed and would turn red. Now that I'm in my late twenties, I mostly just get red after intense exercise.

Again, my biggest concern is my nose. I'm petrified that I will progress to the final stage if I don't treat it properly. I've always had an oily skin surface and reasonable sized pores.

I use metrogel 1%(from the first dermatologist) but I don't know if that is enough.

I give so many of you credit for being such thorough researchers on this condition. Any input you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldnt worry about what i think you are worrying about. As long as you are treating your symptoms things wont progress that far.

The best thing I have found for both the veins and the oil is the n-lite laser (a pulse dye laser). I find that when it is turned up to bruise it gets rid of the veins and on the gentle setting it helps with the pores and the oiliness.

Hi Dan

I agree with Sarah that you should not stress and worry about what might or might not happen. We have all been there and done that so benefit from our experience. Chances are almost nil that you will develop rhinophyma. And in the very worse case scenario there are treatments that will stop it in its tracks so take heart knowing that.

What are your specific symptoms regarding your nose and the reason for your concern? You may want to check out this thread to see if it pertains to you.

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...etin+bromelain

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Thank you for responding so quickly.

I've always been a worried/anxious person, so of course I instantly start to panic at the thought of a large swollen nose in the future. I realize that there are ways to help combat this before it reaches this stage, but I feel this helplessness very overwhelming. I've always been in control of my life, and I feel that I can't control this potential progression.

I think the biggest reason for my concern is because when you type in "oily pores on nose" in a search engine online, it always, always brings up the most severe stage of rosacea. Also, the fact that I get visible capillaries on the sides of my nose strengthens my thinking.

I also realize the sides of the nose is a high pressure place, and other people have broken capillaries that do not have rosacea. I just wish I knew what was coming; I can't continue worrying about this "possibility" because I could waste my life away on something that may not happen.

Hi Dan,

I totally understand what you are going through as I have been there.

Please listen to me when I say that there is nothing constructive to be gained from stressing and worrying about what may or may not happen. Don't waste your precious energy. Learn from my mistakes as I used to be a huge worrier and very type A. I still have some relapses LOL.

Take it day by day. Treat your symptoms as best you can and know that if the very worst happens (it won't though!) there is something to do for that as well.

Btw lots of people have oily enlarged pores on their nose so that is not a reliable indicator.

Best wishes,
    Melissa