Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to tell everyone the good news on my rosacea

I've never heard of rosacea acting like that; mostly what comes to mind is red p&ps. But if the metrogel worked for you is there a reason you stopped it?

Quote Originally Posted by applejack View Post
    I guess I would like to ask folks here if they can feel the rosacea when a breakout is happening? Did it ever feel like a needle piercing your cheek and then a little while later you have a bump or number of them? This is what was happening to me. I could feel them and know where they were before I even looked in a mirror. I know it happened when I was getting stressed at work. I could start the day my face looked only slightly broke out and red and then after a couple hours of stress I would feel the needles and then within hours I would have a breakout. Does this sound like familiar to anyone?
    Once again you are describing a mite infestation. You may not believe it, but your description of how the bumps appear is exactly how papules appear when I had a mite infestation. It is a hypersensitivity reaction which is why you can feel it.

When my skin is reactive then I too can feel "needles" and then there are small whiteheads and bumps plus redness. I could start off the day with clear skin and end it all bumpy and red. This happened when really stressed or after eating something with alot of sugar in it. Since being on the regime below and after using metrogel I did not get the "needles" feeling anymore. Not sure why that is tho...
    Bactrim (phasing out), Spironolactone 1x/day, Retin-a cream .05% in the p.m., Neutrogena Cleanser for Sensitive Skin, avoid dairy and usual Rosacea triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by claudia View Post
    When my skin is reactive then I too can feel "needles" and then there are small whiteheads and bumps plus redness. I could start off the day with clear skin and end it all bumpy and red. This happened when really stressed or after eating something with alot of sugar in it. Since being on the regime below and after using metrogel I did not get the "needles" feeling anymore. Not sure why that is tho...
    Thank you for that. Since taking benedryl I have not had any of it either.

Quote Originally Posted by MissD View Post
    I've never heard of rosacea acting like that; mostly what comes to mind is red p&ps. But if the metrogel worked for you is there a reason you stopped it?
    I had let my prescription run out and I think my rosacea was in remission somewhat and I just put off going back to the doctor. Then it flaired up due to a bunch of stress I was dealing with . The last time I had made a doctor derm doctor appt I think the wait was over a month. This is way too long to wait when your face is so red. My face had gotten so bad I ordered some online and started trying different things from the drug store. That is how I found the benedryl worked for me. I have the metrogel now but I don't have any bumps to put it on. I will eventually get brave and stop taking the benedryl to see if it all comes back. It is just that I am afraid of looking like that again if I can help it. I think since I have not felt my face flush even once lately, the benedryl must have a way of preventing it from happening. What else could it be? I am not doing anything differently and I still deal with the stress thing.

Default Benadryl and rosacea

Hello
    To me anyway it makes good sense that the benadryl is helping your rosacea. Histamine is a powerful vasodilator. Exposure to allergens is my worst trigger. I am glad this is helping you. Could you please address the sleepiness issue? I find that when I take benadryl I am completely knocked out. Does this effect lessen over time?
    Thanks and glad to hear you found something that is helping,
    Queta
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think the benedryl does cause me to feel a little tired. I try not to let it get me down. I have noticed when I take it before bed I fall asleep faster. I went yesterday and the day before without taking it. This morning I noticed some redness coming back on my cheeks so I took some this morning. I functioned fine all day today. I would rather be a bit groggy than to deal with my face looking like it did. I have just a tiny amount of red stuff coming on. Even though I have the metrogel I am a little worried about even putting it on my cheeks after reading what it has done to other people on this forum. Also, the pharmacy I ordered it from did not have .75 available. I ended up with 1% . I am not sure if this is too strong for me.

I was looking at some pictures of me taken over the last couple years. I never noticed how red my cheeks have been all this time (with a bump or two mixed in). I guess I just got used to seeing it on myself. When I see myself lately I have no red cheeks anymore.
    So this has been with me for a long time, just quit noticing it.

I have been getting by on just 2 or 3 benedryl a day (most days just 2) and I am not sure what a good dose is, but this seems to be working good for me. I guess I could just take them in the evening to prevent drowsiness during the day. I hope someone else can get the results I have.

Quote Originally Posted by applejack View Post
    I think the benedryl does cause me to feel a little tired. I try not to let it get me down. I have noticed when I take it before bed I fall asleep faster. I went yesterday and the day before without taking it. This morning I noticed some redness coming back on my cheeks so I took some this morning. I functioned fine all day today. I would rather be a bit groggy than to deal with my face looking like it did. I have just a tiny amount of red stuff coming on. Even though I have the metrogel I am a little worried about even putting it on my cheeks after reading what it has done to other people on this forum. Also, the pharmacy I ordered it from did not have .75 available. I ended up with 1% . I am not sure if this is too strong for me.

I was looking at some pictures of me taken over the last couple years. I never noticed how red my cheeks have been all this time (with a bump or two mixed in). I guess I just got used to seeing it on myself. When I see myself lately I have no red cheeks anymore.
    So this has been with me for a long time, just quit noticing it.

I have been getting by on just 2 or 3 benedryl a day (most days just 2) and I am not sure what a good dose is, but this seems to be working good for me. I guess I could just take them in the evening to prevent drowsiness during the day. I hope someone else can get the results I have.
    It says on the box take 2 every 4 hours..but i would only take maybe 4 a day

how long did it take to see results for you?

I did not see results for 2 days. My face went from the worst it had ever been to how it is now. I never took more than 4 of the benedryl in a day though. Now that I have been clicking around on these forums rosacea sites, I have seen benedryl and the other antihistamines mentioned for possibly reducing redness and swelling in rosacea. The funny thing is that day at the drug store I was so desperate looking and thinking what can I buy to put on my face I just happened to buy a box of benedryl. I also had bought cortesone. I was using both and I really thought it was the cream I was putting on my face at first. I was afraid to stop either one because I was seeing results. Of course the cortesone had nothing to do with it. I was also washing my face every night thinking that would help. I think over washing was making it worse. Anyway my rosacea is still in remission today. I am waiting for someone else report good results.

Applejack,
    I completely relate to the 'needle' sensation you describe. Antihistamines haven't helped me sadly but glad you are experiencing this welcome relief!