Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to tell everyone the good news on my rosacea

Default I want to tell everyone the good news on my rosacea

Hello, I was diagnosed several years ago with acne and a little rosacea. I was given metro gel .75 and another topical medicine. I used them both off and on. My rosacea was only spotty now and then and it came and went. A couple years went by and my presciption long expired and my rosacea started getting worse and worse. About 3 weeks ago my face got so bad I hated to go to work and got tired of people asking me why my face was so red and stuff. I started telling people I had an alergic reaction to something. In the mean time I went to the store and bought some over the counter skin creams and stuff to try. I bought Cortizone 10 (it said it can be used for rashes and skin irritations) and I also bought some Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine HCI tablets Antihistamine) and put the cream on my face and took a couple of the benedryl tablets. The next day I did not see any improvement and was getting worried it was getting so bad. My cheeks were entirely covered and bumpy and stress seemed to making them worse. I went online and found an over-seas site and ordered metro gel. I would have to wait a week before it came though. I kept putting the cortizone on my face and taking 2 benedryl tablets each morning and night. Then on the 4th day it started going away. I continued both remedies because I did not know which one was working. I tried putting the cortizone on only one side and not the other and it did not make a difference. So I knew it was not helping. I continued to take the benedryl though. Now I am happy to say my face is totally cleared up. It has been over a week clear now. Not even a hint of rosacea anywhere. I got the metro gel now but it looks as though I don't need it anyway. At first I thought it was a coincidence but since then I have gotten stress out several times and nothing happens to my face. Before when I got stressed, within a couple hours my face would start getting little bumps. I am on my third box of benedryl. I bought the generic brand and it works the same. I don't know much at all about diphenhydramine hci tablets -antihistamine- but I do know it has taken away 100% of my bumps and redness and all of it. I only tried it out of desperation, I had never heard anything about it being used for this. Has anyone else tried it? I would like others to try it and report on my thread please.

If benadryl works for you it makes me think allergies, not rosacea. I like to take it sometimes before I go to bed and have noticed no difference as far as my face is concerned. Doesn't it make you drowsy?

In any case it's great you found something that clears your skin up.

I know it sounds kooky. I don't have allergies. I did notice that stress caused it to get really bad towards the end. I could feel them pushing up from under my skin on my cheeks if I was stressed. Lately I get stressed and I feel nothing on my face and later look in the mirror and nothing has happened. In fact, the only sign of rosacea is a slight blushing color on my cheeks. It is gradually fading away. I do not have even a small bump on my entire face. If you took benedryl a few times, maybe it did not help because you did not take it long enough. I can't be the only one in the world that this will work for. Someone else can try and have success, I am sure.

It doesn't sound kooky to me at all. I think benadryl has noninflammatory properties doesn't it? In any case there's no way I'd take it that often. I used to take benadryl nearly every night and I've found that after the first night of taking it, instead of making me drowsy it'd keep me awake and the times it did make me drowsy I was so out of it in the morning that I couldn't exercise. I used to take Claratin as well to see if it would help with my rosacea but aside from (seemingly) halting a bad flush one time it did nothing. With lasers it's like I have no rosacea at all anymore but let me tell you, I do wish all I had to do was take a pill!

Quote Originally Posted by applejack View Post
    I don't know much at all about diphenhydramine hci tablets -antihistamine- but I do know it has taken away 100% of my bumps and redness and all of it. I only tried it out of desperation, I had never heard anything about it being used for this. Has anyone else tried it? I would like others to try it and report on my thread please.
    I think this is due to mites. They cause an allergic reaction resulting in itching, redness and bumps. I used to take an antihistamine to counter the effects. I found one cetirizine tablet would last about 6-8 hours. Maybe the diphenhydramine is more effective. I think you are only suppressing the symptoms with antihistamine. Using some permethrin cream daily would kill the mites and remove the cause of the allergy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wistar View Post
    I think this is due to mites. They cause an allergic reaction resulting in itching, redness and bumps. I used to take an antihistamine to counter the effects. I found one cetirizine tablet would last about 6-8 hours. Maybe the diphenhydramine is more effective. I think you are only suppressing the symptoms with antihistamine. Using some permethrin cream daily would kill the mites and remove the cause of the allergy.

I don't believe I have a mite problem. I have always had a flushing problem, especially if I drink alcohol. I quit drinking some time ago though. I have not had my face flush since taking benedryl 3 or 4 weeks ago and at the same time my face continues to get better.

I wish I had taken a picture of my face to show how bad it had gotten in the last few months. At the worst, I had these tiny white barely under the skin pustules. With tweezers I could touch each one and it would burst. A few times I had one of those every quarter inch on my cheeks and between my eyes. They were tiny white dots. Does this not sound like Rosacea? I had no itching at all, but my cheeks felt like they had a burn on them though. They have all since gone away for about 2 weeks now. My cheeks also had the bumpy orange peel texture to them and it is now gone also. I continue with 2 benedryl tablets a day and that is all. Has anyone tried this yet?

Quote Originally Posted by applejack View Post
    I wish I had taken a picture of my face to show how bad it had gotten in the last few months. At the worst, I had these tiny white barely under the skin pustules. With tweezers I could touch each one and it would burst. A few times I had one of those every quarter inch on my cheeks and between my eyes. They were tiny white dots. Does this not sound like Rosacea? I had no itching at all, but my cheeks felt like they had a burn on them though. They have all since gone away for about 2 weeks now. My cheeks also had the bumpy orange peel texture to them and it is now gone also. I continue with 2 benedryl tablets a day and that is all. Has anyone tried this yet?
    I've had something like the tiny white bumps before, both on the forehead and cheeks and they went away after a while after using either salicylic acid or sulfacedamide and haven't returned since. They might be clogged pores or if they're just on the cheeks it might be Keratosis of the face (I have this on my upper arms) and it can be mistaken for rosacea. Have you been to the derm about this?

Hi,
    You might want to look into Mast Cell Activation Disorder or other mast cell disorders. These disorders affect histamine, and most sufferers name flushing as one of their symptoms. Antihistamines are the treatment used for these conditions, so it could possibly be the reason that you find relief from Benadryl. I am not a medical professional by any means, but my rosacea symptoms don't fit the rosacea profile very well and came on suddenly during a time of other health issues, so MCAD is something that I have learned a little about.

Thank you both for your replies. I looked at some pictures of what Keratosis looked like. What I have is nothing like that. The little white dots are under the skin a tiny bit and never get hard or rough or turn dark. They looked almost like miniature water blisters that pop and go away if you touch with tweezer and then you could not tell they were there. When I went to a dermatologist 4 years ago, I had some of them between my eyebrows and the doc told me it looked like rosacea and he prescribed metro gel. I remember when I put it on them they went away very quickly. I guess I would like to ask folks here if they can feel the rosacea when a breakout is happening? Did it ever feel like a needle piercing your cheek and then a little while later you have a bump or number of them? This is what was happening to me. I could feel them and know where they were before I even looked in a mirror. I know it happened when I was getting stressed at work. I could start the day my face looked only slightly broke out and red and then after a couple hours of stress I would feel the needles and then within hours I would have a breakout. Does this sound like familiar to anyone? When Iooked at dozens of pics on google of rosacea I saw faces that looked as bad as mine, even with the red line cutting off around the bottom of my eyes, like a mask. Thank you !