Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Personal success stories

Baby Powder cured me.
    Can u believe that, my Rosacea is caused by humidity, so i cant believe i didn't think of it sooner. Whenever i moisturize my face it gets red, today i bought some baby powder for like 3 bucks and my face hasn't been this clear in months (when i was inside with a AC on all day). Who knew baby powder would be the answer! Its so simple. Anyways, do you guys know of any other products that works like baby powder to keep my face dry?

Default Do you have to give up coffee entirely if you have Rosacea?

Quote Originally Posted by claudia View Post
    I have the p&p kind of rosacea. I had teenage acne that never went away and eventually became rosacea in my 30's. I was using harsh acne treatments that inflamed the skin and caused dilation of the blood vessels so I ended up with very red skin plus breakouts.

Taking antibiotics always helped tremendously but you can only take those for so long. So I'd go in and out of flare-ups. I tried countless natural remedies. The only natural approach that helped was eating better...you know, more fruit-vegies-whole grains-less dairy-avoiding alcohol and sugary foods, etc. I was healthier overall but eating organically only helped so much, I still broke out and suffered from flaming red skin.

In my early 50's I was finally diagnosed with rosacea. For the past 4-5 years I have faithfully followed a rosacea treatment regime prescribed by my dermatologist. It took a long long long time to see results but now I have clear skin, the blood vessels have almost gone away and my skin is not red but is much much paler. I avoid the sun, used metrogel 1%, Bactrim (antibiotic), spironolactone (anti-androgen...helps reduce p&p's), a cleanser designed for sensitive skin, and recently Olay sunscreen for sensitive skin.

I am now phasing out Bactrim according to my derm's timetable. I have stopped the metrogel 1% and am now using Retin-A cream instead. Yes, I can hardly believe that I am able to tolerate it but this is a newer formulation that is very effective, yet also gentle when used correctly (very sparingly and only after the skin is dry). According to my derm, Retin-A is good for the skin, especially "acne rosacea" because an underlying problem is that the skin isn't functioning properly. Retin-A restores proper skin functioning. Plus, although Retin-A causes the skin to thin out, it also builds collegen from underneath. This supposedly causes the visible blood vessels to recede. I have already noticed this in the several months of using it. My skin is healing!

I still take the spironolactone...a very small dose that helps balance what may have been too much androgen in my system (I also had some problems with stubborn facial hair). Both my derm and regular doc say it is a mild drug that can be taken safely forever.

I hope this helps give others hope that roscea, especially the p&p kind, can be treated with good results. Personally, I am thrilled and only wish that I had been willing to follow a conventional treatment regime earlier and saved myself a lot of self-loathing. I was always trying "natural" treatment methods and hoping it to go away by itself. It never did...it only got worse!

Truth is that diligently following a conventional treatment approach did the trick.

Tea Tree oil mixed with Argan oil changed my face and my life. I used Metrogel, Finecea and Doxy (Oreacea) for years spending thousands of dollars, for so/so results and really dry skin. When I lost my insurance I could no longer afford the expensive perscriptions that didn't work that well to begin with so I started looking for alternative (cheaper) treatments. I tried Nu-stock, Selene blue, honey, apple cider vinegar and probably a few other things I can't think of right now and in the end a 20 dollar bottle of Argan Oil (which has lasted almost 2 years) and a cheap bottle of tea tree oil, changed my face completely. I try to share it with everyone I can because I know how hard it is to look in the mirror and hate what you see. I also blogged every up and down of the process including taking really embarrassing pictures to show the world. Hope this helps someone!
    http://itsjustyourface.blogspot.com/

222201502210.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kisha View Post
    Tea Tree oil mixed with Argan oil changed my face and my life. I used Metrogel, Finecea and Doxy (Oreacea) for years spending thousands of dollars, for so/so results and really dry skin. When I lost my insurance I could no longer afford the expensive perscriptions that didn't work that well to begin with so I started looking for alternative (cheaper) treatments. I tried Nu-stock, Selene blue, honey, apple cider vinegar and probably a few other things I can't think of right now and in the end a 20 dollar bottle of Argan Oil (which has lasted almost 2 years) and a cheap bottle of tea tree oil, changed my face completely. I try to share it with everyone I can because I know how hard it is to look in the mirror and hate what you see. I also blogged every up and down of the process including taking really embarrassing pictures to show the world. Hope this helps someone!

222201502210.jpg
    My goodness!!! What a difference. Well done you x

Default Shingles medicine cured my Rosacea?

Hi

I thought I'd share a recent discovery and hopefully it may help members on this forum.

I've struggled with Rosacea for about 5 years and although changes in diet and reducing alcohol improved things, I still got flare ups which was very annoying and got me down.

About 6 weeks ago, I thought I was having a severe flare up, as my face was bright red and I had a couple of large angry spots on my top lip. The doctor diagnosed me with Shingles and prescribed a course of anti-viral medicine (will find out exact brand if anyone asks). This medicine cleared up the spots on my lips and my general complexion has improved to pre Rosacea days!

Previous triggers such as alcohol, binging on bad food and strenuous exercise seem to have no effect on me now. I feel like a new person and the only connection I can make is the anti-viral medicine I took for Shingles. Could the shingles virus be a trigger for Rosacea?

Hope this is of some help.

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by dunc39 View Post
    Hi

I thought I'd share a recent discovery and hopefully it may help members on this forum.

I've struggled with Rosacea for about 5 years and although changes in diet and reducing alcohol improved things, I still got flare ups which was very annoying and got me down.

About 6 weeks ago, I thought I was having a severe flare up, as my face was bright red and I had a couple of large angry spots on my top lip. The doctor diagnosed me with Shingles and prescribed a course of anti-viral medicine (will find out exact brand if anyone asks). This medicine cleared up the spots on my lips and my general complexion has improved to pre Rosacea days!

Previous triggers such as alcohol, binging on bad food and strenuous exercise seem to have no effect on me now. I feel like a new person and the only connection I can make is the anti-viral medicine I took for Shingles. Could the shingles virus be a trigger for Rosacea?

Duncan
    Did you have baseline redness ? and where you a flusher ?

Quote Originally Posted by davekelly View Post
    Did you have baseline redness ? and where you a flusher ?
    Yes, definitely a flusher as you say. Not sure what you mean by baseline redness?

Tried various treatments prescribed and non-prescribed, non of which properly worked until recent course of shingles treatment

Hi

Duncan
    when I stopped taking mirtazipine it gave me such bad skin burning sensations I thought i was getting shingles.. went on the mega-doses of Zovirax for two weeks (don't really remember the length or total mg/day but it was a lot, taking 4-5 horse pills a day). It had no effect on my rosacea (good or bad)

Default Thank-you Kisha!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kisha View Post

222201502210.jpg

I have been struggling with skin issues for the last year; I believed I just had (bad) acne. More often than not my face felt like it had been scrubbed with a wire brush, complete with pustules and sore patches. The acne treatments I was using did little to improve my skin and no amount of lotions or creams would help with the burning/dryness. The embarrassment of having all the lumps and bumps make-up can not cover, is an added problem. I am 39 yrs old and have no idea what is making my face freak out (my medical appt. is next week)...during my research I have ended up here.

My daughter recently came home from college, toting with her a bottle of tea tree oil. She has mild acne and swears this has improved her skin. With a little skepticism I slapped some on my face (undiluted) and went to bed. HOLY MOTHER! What an improvement!! My face is still red and dry but the sore patches are now healing. I have also noticed that I am not seeing any new pustules or sore patches, and the lumps/bumps are reduced; something I wasn't able to achieve with any other product.

I joined this forum today to thank Kisha for posting her photos.... I realized...That is me....that is exactly what my skin looks like, and hopefully what my skin will look like with continued tea tree oil use. You have given me hope!

Hi

Duncan
    Hi Duncan, John here from Ireland, I have recently been diagnosed with rosacea, dermatologist gave antibiotics made my condition worse, I get these red circular spots on my forehead gets very sore hot, very hot at times, and around my nose red raw at times even though I have been to a dermatologist, I think I have some underlined condition, which I think could be shingles, would really like the name of the anti-viral medication if have it please, my doctor doesn't seem to be listening to me at all, so I reply would be much appreciated, thanks, Regards john.