Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Personal success stories

Thanks for sharing milton,
    I am really happy to read your story, it shows that it is possible to live a full life even with Rosacea. I think that the key that you are telling us is that when you accepted that you have Rosacea you could start to live a better life instead of stressing over the condition. I am not really there yet, but I think that meditating is a good way to gain acceptance and be able to live more in the now instead of think about past and future problesm.

And just to explain, by acceptance I do not mean to give up, it is just to accept the condition which is already here, we should still try to find ways of improving and possibly curing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
    Thanks for sharing milton,
    I am really happy to read your story, it shows that it is possible to live a full life even with Rosacea. I think that the key that you are telling us is that when you accepted that you have Rosacea you could start to live a better life instead of stressing over the condition. I am not really there yet, but I think that meditating is a good way to gain acceptance and be able to live more in the now instead of think about past and future problesm.

And just to explain, by acceptance I do not mean to give up, it is just to accept the condition which is already here, we should still try to find ways of improving and possibly curing it.
    Exactly Tomas. It takes a while, for sure. Recovery is a slow process that never really is totally complete. But acceptance is key. Living in the now is key. I know stress is the trigger for me so I work to keep it under control. This condition is hard on a person, but it doesn't have to take over. Stay hopeful, don't give up and keep trying until something works. Keep a log of everything you do and notice when you have flares. It took me almost 2 years to figure it out. However, when I did, my life and outlook improved exponentially. Hang in there.

Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    Exactly Tomas. It takes a while, for sure. Recovery is a slow process that never really is totally complete. But acceptance is key. Living in the now is key. I know stress is the trigger for me so I work to keep it under control. This condition is hard on a person, but it doesn't have to take over. Stay hopeful, don't give up and keep trying until something works. Keep a log of everything you do and notice when you have flares. It took me almost 2 years to figure it out. However, when I did, my life and outlook improved exponentially. Hang in there.
    Thanks for the reply, it is really making my comittment towards acceptance stronger. I have actually been to a few courses in mindfulness which is really what you are talkinng about so I am definitely doing some things right.

Default Success

Hi apple cider vinegar helped me. Just washed 1:1 vinegar and warm boiled water. Good luck.

Cool Hand sanitizer Success

I accidently used hand sanitizer instead of liquid soap on my face. It stung quite a bit. I expected to see an angry red face in the mirror. Wow. After one application more than 75% of my rosacea was gone-forever . My mother noticed the dramatic improvement however she will not try it on her rosacea. I understand it does not sound right. Just try a small area that is least effected. I also tried ASA crushed up in green tea. I did not notice any additional improvement. Please try it. My messages were deleted off of another forum. Followers were told not to try hand sanitizer without actually trying it themselves. As I previously stated try a small area.

Hand sanitizers are mainly alcohol?? Can anyone guess why this worked so well so quickly?
    P.S It no longer stings at all?? Please try this. Experiment with a small area.
    I did not realize how bad my rosacea was until it went away. I look so much better. I never had any pustules. Just redness and flushing. Connie

Quote Originally Posted by MissD View Post
    I wish I did! I don't even have any pictures of myself before the rosacea on this computer so the most I can do at the moment is try and describe it.

During a bad flush my chin and outside of my face near my jaw and ears would go red as well as the ears themselves. If I didn't or couldn't relieve it in some way the redness would creep closer to my nose, and obviously all of this burnt really bad.

When I wasn't flushing, my nose would be pink all the time and I had this red rash-like area underneath my left eye and top of my nose, and the area close to my jawline was red on both sides; worse on the right (I hope that makes sense).

I just had my third laser treatment yesterday so right now I'm pretty dang puffy After the swelling went down on my previous two the redness slowly receded after several weeks. My cheeks still got a little bit flushy but rarely until the point they burned, and my nose still got a tiny bit pink sometimes so I expect all of that to improve even more this time around.
    Could you give me any more information about the rash that you had...because i'v had a rash come on the right side of my jaw, my nose is also pink all the time and my checks and ears always go red when I have a flush...my case sounds very similar to yours which has intrigued me...what type of laser treatments have you had and did your derm tell you what the rash was? Or was it just another symptom of rosacea? X x x

Hi
    I had skin that would make kids scream and babies cry. Really, it was that bad! Ivermectin worked for me. See my post in "Photos."

Regards to all

Default My success: I went to the Allergist!

I had type 2 on my nose, with seb-derm, and occasional papules. It could be tamed -- somewhat -- by Oracea and Metrogel, but these were a band-aid, and I was also having stomach issues and began to suspect food intolerance.

As many on this board know, some of us who have Rosacea have found a connection to our digestive systems. In my case, I turned out to have so many mild -- but across the board-- food allergies, that the doctor diagnosed me with Leaky Gut syndrome. My immune system was reacting to all these irritants by upsetting my stomach, and my skin.

Rather that randomly cutting out food groups, my allergy test let me know exactly what to avoid. (The doctor says that in a few weeks my system should start to "re-set" and I will probably be able to eat most of those foods again.) Between the new diet and the Prosacea, occasional Histame, along with some digestive enzymes and probiotics, I am almost entirely clear.

I can even drink a little vodka -- not on my "verboten" list!

I urge you all to get a full allergy workup, rather than shoot in the dark about what foods to avoid. I spent a bit of money but saved myself years of guessing.

Susybranch, can I ask what allergy test you had (skin?) and what type of doctor performed it (Naturopath, dermatologist)?

Default Getting Rid of the Red...

I posted the below in the general section of this forum and realized it probably belongs here...

Hello

After years of reading posts on this website, I am pleased to now be making my first contribution. Before I get started on how I have learned to effectively manage my rosacea I want any reader of this to know that I empathize with their feelings of frustration, anger, depression, sadness, guilt, embarrassment, self-consciousness and any other emotion that a person with this scourge of a skin condition has. I have been to very dark places with this affliction and emerged, a bit battered and bruised, but emerged nonetheless as a person more understanding of skin conditions and how they can truly impact the quality of one's life -- a statement that I do not make lightly.

First, a bit of background on me. I am 50 years old and have been wrestling with rosacea for the past 15 years. One of the "cool-kid-jocks" in high school, dated the homecoming queen, etc. Teenage acne from 13-16. Spent much time in the sun managing pools in the summer (sun was a powerful anti-inflammatory for me then). College, grad school and then found my self a job on Wall St where I have been managing money for institutional investors across the globe for the past 15+ years. Married, kids, etc. Never any health issues.

Rosacea started to creep up on me in my mid-30's when I started playing golf. Never wore sunscreen on my face because it always seems to make my skin even worse. Pretty much ignored it until we had kids (late thirties) and I was outside every weekend and would notice that my face was not only very red, but also papules started forming. This happened every Monday night/Tuesday morning after being outside on the weekend and then would subside after a couple of days and by Friday, my skin was relatively calm. I tried everything to combat this. Numerous dermatologists, metro gel, fiancee, IPL and while each of these had some mild benefit, they did not work to my satisfaction. I wanted this condition gone, period.

By the time I hit my mid 40's the condition was getting to be unbearable and it was consuming my thoughts day and night trying to figure out how to get rid of this condition. As I saw it there were only 2 solutions: Number one was to never go outside for more than 15 minutes, and well, that just was not an option. Number two was to go on antibiotics, which I had discovered were quite helpful. The second option was not appealing either. Who wants to be on antibiotics the rest of their life? Although I have heard Oracea is quite good.

Then, I went to a Dr that specialized in treating autoimmune diseases. He is an MD, but uses a holistic approach to healing i.e., meds, diet, supplements, etc. I told him what I had been going through and we discussed my lifestyle, eating habits, work habits, etc. Did a number of tests and it turns out I had very high levels of mercury in my blood (lived on sushi and tuna sandwiches) and very low testosterone. We were able to address the mercury problem through chelation and removing all mercury fillings and testosterone through exercise and supplements and I am now mercury free with much higher levels of testosterone. My rosacea improved as a result, but was not gone. I continued to try other remedies -- one that has been particularly helpful was eliminating all fragrance in my hair products. Shampoos, conditioners and hair gels are now all fragrance free. I have also added a few drops tea tree oil to my shampoo every day and that has helped as well. Also replaced my shower head with one that filters water. Not sure how much this has helped, but water is softer and feels cleaner.

As for supplements, I have tried many of them and they had limited impact for me. However there was one supplement that has had a significant impact and that is Quercitin. It is a flavaniod found in fruits, vegetables, leaves and grain. Powerful anti-inflammatory. I use 500mg combined with vitamin c and bromeliad (buy it on Amazon). Significantly reduced the redness in my face.

Finally, I found a sunscreen that my face can tolerate after trying at least a dozen sunscreens that either had no effect or actually made my rosacea worse. Called Elta MD 45 for sensitive skin which is a combination of physical and chemical sunscreen. Active ingredients zinc and oxynoxate and is oil free. They also make a waterproof version. I think Shseido also makes a sunscreen similar to this. Not pushing any particular product, just want to share my success with others.

Today, my skin looks like it did in my mid 20ís with respect to rosacea. It is essentially gone. However, I know that is has to be managed, otherwise it will resurface. I just re-read what I wrote. This process probably took me 5-6 years of painstaking frustration to get where I am today. I truly hope that those who read this will derive some benefit from my experience in managing their rosacea. Good luck and donít stop until you get rid of the red!!!