Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Personal success stories

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Personal success stories

This thread is for any type of success regarding your rosacea treatments. Small or big successes. What has lessened your rosacea symptoms and helped your quality of life. Any benefits you would like to share.
    Last edited by Melissa W; 10th June 2009 at 09:31 PM. Reason: spelling error

I'll start.
    My main symptoms are flushing and burning. I also had papules though.

For me what treatments have worked best so far includes the following:

1.Oracea basically keeps the papules away
    I have been taking this for over a year.

2. VBeam has helped lessen the severity of my flushing and burning and I am currently only doing maintenance treatments. My last VBeam was Dec 2008. I have had a total of 7 or 8 since I was diagnosed in Oct 2006.

3. Red light therapy has also helped raise the threshold of my flushing and burning. It also calms down my flushing/burning and helps a flare dissipate more quickly. I have not been doing this lately as life is very hectic at the moment but my goal is 10 min per day. My unit is homemade based on IowaDavid's instructions.

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...ad.php?t=16347

4. I treat my face very gently and use a minimum of products. Right now I am using CeraVe lotion and cream and Eucerin original lotion and cream and Eucerin redness relief cleansing gel.

5. I am taking grapeseed extract which I believe does help with visible capillaries and strengthening the blood vessels. Not sure if it helps at all with the flushing and burning.

I am also taking vitamin D3 which I believe is important for overall health.
    http://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea_...ad.php?t=17085

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Thanks Melissa for starting this thread - very good to reference and share.

1. I second Oracea, it's been helpful to me in reducting papules and lessening inflammation. On the flip side, I have to take pro-biotics and a few anti-candida supplements daily or I will have yeast issues.

2. Vbeams/IPL's. I just finished a course of IPL's which have helped even my skin tone some and stop some of the itching/pinching I was having on my face last Fall.

3. Clindamycin solution on problem areas in the morning. I can tolerate mild retinoids, and use Ziana 2-3 nights a week and on alternating nights Metrogel or a light serum. I've found through reading that acne prone skin should forgo moisterisers even oil free ones as they can clog pores over time. Opt for serums if you need light hydration - especially in Summer. Less ingredients is best!

4. Non-SLS based cleansers - SkinMedica or Fresh are my favorites.

5. HCL and digestive enzymes - I take one of each with meals.

6. Supplements. I take a slew, but my favorites are Tumeric, Grape Seed, Pycengenol, Zinc, Milk Thistle, Calcium, and Lysine. I also take a spoonful of fresh cold pressed Omega 3 fish oil each day with a meal.

7. Well balanced diet - lots of fruits and veggies. Not a lot of carbs. I do have a sweet tooth though - indulge sometimes.

Yvette

1. Antibiotics were the biggest help initially in stopping papules/pustules. I began on Oxytetracycline, then Minocycline, and now Lymecycline, which all do the same thing. They keep the p&p's at bay. I have now been taking them for about 4 years.

2. 6 IPL's were great in erasing much of the redness and broken capillaries, which had grown up as a result of my initial rosacea.

3. Treating my skin extremely gently has had a very big effect. I've gone from the normal showers-with-cleanser, to just a very light wipe each day with water. So there is no heat, no irritating or harsh cleanser.

4. Applying metrogel once a day helps a tiny bit with redness.

5. I have taken grapeseed extract (100mg) for about a year, which may help strengthen capillaries, although there is no detectable effect.

6. I gave up smoking, which seemed to inflame the skin and especially the rosacea.

7. I avoid all the usual triggers, and have made all the usual lifestyle changes.

Together, these have taken me from really pretty bad rosacea (probably close to some of the severe pictures on the internet) to a case where much of the time you wouldn't be able to tell I have it. I still get flushing to the slightest trigger, and have exquisitely sensitive skin that will bring back all the symptoms - redness, papules, heaver flushing, broken veins - if, for example, I use a cleanser for a couple of days in a row.

Along the way, there are quite a few treatments I've tried which haven't worked out. Chinese medicine (teas), acupuncture, and herbalism; various diets (anti-candida, high fibre, raw foods, low sugar, high sugar); various supplements (omega 3, high vitamin c, a mineral combination of zinc, magnesium and calcium); a few alternative oral treatments (anti-candida meds, HCL, psyllium and bentonite); red light therapy; anti-fungal meds - all these have had no effect.

Some treatments have made it worse: Finacea increased redness and papules, because of its harshness and my skin's sensitivity; low dose accutane led to greater inflammation, redness, and expression of p&p's; all over-the-counter cleansers, no matter how mild/supposedly good for rosacea, aggravate the skin; all moisturizers generally clog things up and cause spots.

Hello,

My name Aimee,

I am 38 and suffered with what I thought was acne and irreparable sun damage for the last 10 years and 2 months ago after finally consulting a dermatologist low and behold it's Rosacea. My Dr. gave me little info. I am a red head of so I am predisposed to the condition although I never knew it until perusing this site.

My Dermatologist put me on 150MG of Doryx which caused an expected initial breakout but now my face is completely break out free with only a few small breakouts occurring on the left side of my neck.

In conjunction with the Doryx, I wash with Clenia daily and apply Metrogel at night. I treat any breakouts by dabbing a little Clenia on the affected area and it seems to do a good job healing the breakout quickly. My first wash with the Clenia had quite a sting to it but I also had a lot of open "pustules" and now that my skin is clear, I can't feel the Clenia at all and I have had no adverse affects.

I went in for my first "Foto Facial" 6/11/09 which is a quick and painless laser treatment to minimize the redness and brown spots from the sun and rosacea. So far the results are awesome, everyday I see improvement in the evenness of my skin tone and even though the Dr. said it would take 3 weeks to see the full affect, I am very happy with the results. The treatment was $400.00 but well worth it. The process involves some numbing gel and about 15 minutes with the laser but I barely felt a thing, had no adverse affects and I can't wait for my next treatment in July.

I think most people here probably know my story and what has worked for me already, but I'll post it here for reference for any new forum members/lurkers.

I'm one of those people with freakishly fair skin. Oddly enough though, I used to tan extremely well as a kid. I don't even try to anymore because of rosacea and because I think fair skin is beautiful.

I have had a pink nose for a very long time - some baby photos even show it. It was never consistent though until a couple years ago, and a year after that (November '08), when I used 10% glycolic acid to fade hyperpigmentation marks, I started to notice a small red area near my right jawline and a reddish rash under my left eye and near my nose. I thought nothing of it and continued using the AHA for about a week until I decided to order a skin lightening lotion which was 2% hydroquinone and 7% glycolic acid. The red area at my jawline grew bigger and another appeared on the left side. I started to flush at night. It was then I decided I needed to go to the dermatologist. The result is that I now:

1) Use 10% Sodium Sulfacetamide in the morning. I don't know if it helps with rosacea, but it does help with blemishes I get now and then.

2) Use Metrogel 1% in the evening. Does it help with my rosacea? I don't know, but it doesn't hurt either. I don't get the P&P's so I guess I use it as a preventive measure.

So what has truly, without a doubt helped my flushing? The flushing that used to come and go for no reason at all and that used to be triggered by something so small as picking something up off the floor?

Vbeam. I cannot praise it enough. I have gotten two treatments so far, on the entire face, my first treatment being back in May. After the first treatment I noticed results and as the days passed my face just kept improving. What really excited me though was that my nose was a normal color. I no longer flushed. I love science.

My next, and last appointment will be in a week or two (July). After that only touch-ups will follow.

I didn't mention that my nose would also flush in the afternoon or evening and quite intensely too. It would go bright red and would stay that way for more than an hour. After my first laser treatment I still experienced this but as my skin continued to heal the flushes became less intense and didn't last as long. A few weeks following the second laser treatment and it only flushes in the afternoon or evening every now and then and definitely not every day. When it does, it lasts about 5 minutes.

If there is anything else that has helped me I would have to say it was probably this, which details how being in a constant cool environment can set you up for rebound flushes later. Prior to my first laser treatment I always slept with my ceiling fan on. After reading about the warm-room flush, I decided to try to sleep without it but the flushing was just too unbearable. After the Vbeam I still kept the fan on until one day I decided I would try to wait out the flushing and I turned the fan off for good.

Now it's like I don't have rosacea at all. Sure, my cheeks will sometimes spontaneously go a bit rosy but I don't even notice unless I look in the mirror when it's occurring. Even just laying down used to be a flushing trigger and I used to have to wait it out, but not anymore.

And my general skincare routine?

1) I use Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser in the morning

2) As mentioned in the beginning of the post, I use Sodium Sulfacetamide in the morning. I wait for about 5-15 minutes for my skin to dry and apply it.

3) After 5-15 minutes I use Aveeno Baby sunscreen. This has alcohol in it which stings (but doesn't turn my face red thankfully) and it leaves a bit of a white residue that has to be blended in to death, so I'm still looking for that perfect sunscreen.

4) If I'm going out, I use Everyday Minerals makeup after waiting for the sunscreen to dry.

5) In the evening I wash my face with Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Cleanser, as Cetaphil is too gentle to take off sunscreen and makeup.

6) Last comes the Metrogel after I let my skin dry.

And there you have it. No gimmicks, no supplements, and no strict diets - just straight forward help from my dermatologist and gentle skincare.

Default wow Yvette

Quote Originally Posted by Yvette View Post
    Thanks Melissa for starting this thread - very good to reference and share.

1. I second Oracea, it's been helpful to me in reducting papules and lessening inflammation. On the flip side, I have to take pro-biotics and a few anti-candida supplements daily or I will have yeast issues.

2. Vbeams/IPL's. I just finished a course of IPL's which have helped even my skin tone some and stop some of the itching/pinching I was having on my face last Fall.

3. Clindamycin solution on problem areas in the morning. I can tolerate mild retinoids, and use Ziana 2-3 nights a week and on alternating nights Metrogel or a light serum. I've found through reading that acne prone skin should forgo moisterisers even oil free ones as they can clog pores over time. Opt for serums if you need light hydration - especially in Summer. Less ingredients is best!

4. Non-SLS based cleansers - SkinMedica or Fresh are my favorites.

5. HCL and digestive enzymes - I take one of each with meals.

6. Supplements. I take a slew, but my favorites are Tumeric, Grape Seed, Pycengenol, Zinc, Milk Thistle, Calcium, and Lysine. I also take a spoonful of fresh cold pressed Omega 3 fish oil each day with a meal.

7. Well balanced diet - lots of fruits and veggies. Not a lot of carbs. I do have a sweet tooth though - indulge sometimes.

Yvette

reading your article has made me realise that I was taking lysine until recently and my flare up has gotten out of control so maybe I will have to reintroduce it. My main reason for taking it is I have suffered from chronic IBS since I was 14 (am just turned 50) and my symptoms changed about 9 years ago where I now suffer from persistent loose bowels (can be like water, sorry about tmi but necessary to explain my point) and thought the lysine would help as dairy products (probiotics) seemed to aggravate my condition although not lactose intolerant. I swear it has been my the fault of my chronic IBS which has caused my rosacea but doctors really aren't interested in my theory and have done nothing to support me. will definitely be reintroducing lysine and see what happens. thank you for your thread.

Default red light therapy?

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa W View Post
    I'll start.

2. VBeam has helped lessen the severity of my flushing and burning and I am currently only doing maintenance treatments. My last VBeam was Dec 2008. I have had a total of 7 or 8 since I was diagnosed in Oct 2006.

3. Red light therapy has also helped raise the threshold of my flushing and burning. It also calms down my flushing/burning and helps a flare dissipate more quickly. I have not been doing this lately as life is very hectic at the moment but my goal is 10 min per day. My unit is homemade based on IowaDavid's instructions.

4. I treat my face very gently and use a minimum of products. Right now I am using CeraVe lotion and cream and Eucerin original lotion and cream and Eucerin redness relief cleansing gel.

5. I am taking grapeseed extract which I believe does help with visible capillaries and strengthening the blood vessels. Not sure if it helps at all with the flushing and burning.

Best wishes,
    Melissa
    Would this also be known as infarred light? I see one here in BJ's and if it is the same thing I will buy it. thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa W View Post
    I'll start.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Hi Melissa!

About the red light therapy, what exactly is it/how does it work? Do you buy a device and do it at home or is it done at some sort of clinic?
    Thanks in advance
    BTW I read you live in NYC? I'm in montreal, not too far away! Do you have a good dermatologist who is familiar with rosacea and the best treatments?? I'm having trouble finding a doctor who knows anything about the condition!