Thread: Rosacea or chemical burns?

Default Rosacea or chemical burns?

So i was posting on the acne.org forums about this, but i have a hunch you guys know better.

Well when i was 16 i applied 20% BP on the face (i know a stupid idea, infact i knew it was a stupid idea then, but i didn't really think there can be crazy consequences). The derm perscriped 20% BP so i can use it to get rid of potential acne scars on my arms and back. I've tried it on the face once a day for 5 days. I know, dumb idea.

So a guy at the acne.org forum told me that i probably have chemcial burns that will heal overtime, i'm reluctant to believe this, but it turns out that i'm unlikely candidate for rosacea and that my abuse helped highten my chances significantly. I'm non-caucasian, I was only 18 when i started to gold mild rosacea, and 20 (now) when it became moderate. I flush like all rosacea sufferers, i flush from the weather, and eating bananas, along with sour and spicy foods, i also flush easily in social situations. Well this can't just a chemical burn, unless it also induced the rosacea. It is possible that i messed up my skin, but i don't even recall the high concentration of BP burning. It is strange, when i was a teen i had lots of pustules but i barely have any now. So what are your thoughts?
    I should also mention that most of the redness is located on the cheeks, not on the nose, and i seem to have the white-panada eye effect but that is only when i was REALLY flaring up like crazy.

Hi

So the BP did not cause any side effects at the time? No redness or skin sensitivity? and you just used it for five days?

I think it is important not to beat yourself up over this. When you are desperate to find something that helps your skin you will try anything. Looking back I have done lots of stupid stuff

Hi and welcome to the RF.
    As Sarah said you should not blame yourself for this as you thought it might help at the time and there is nothing to be gained by being hard on yourself.

As for your symptoms the best thing you could do now is treat your face very gently, use a minimum of products on it and protect yourself from the sun with sunblock when you are outside. Keep your skin well moisturised as when our face is dry the threshold for flushing is lowered. And also of course, avoid anything that you know for sure makes you flare like bananas, spicy foods, etc.

Hard to say if you have rosacea or not but doing the above will certainly help regardless and time is a great healer. This link may be helpful for you.

http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Thanks Sarah and Melissa. I've been looking at the link you provided and these seems to be so much i was ignorant to, except how awesome green tea is for rosacea. However, i'm faced with a potential problem. As finished my morning shower today, i noticed 2 dilated veins at the top of my nose. They are barely noticable, it takes real focus to point them out.

As i was trying to focus, i was tensing up and i also noticed that as i tensed up more of the tiny bloodvessels seemed to appear (due to that area being "stretched" as i tensed up). So i concluded that i have more blood vessels basicly on their way. As small at spider webs.

So i've tried to find some information on how to stop/reverse it (can be delayed by stopping the flushing), but the only course of action is laser therapy or IPL. At this stage i couldn't be bothered to do it, but i've came across some interesting information: dialated bloodvessels increase the inflamation and as a result, produce more diluted bloodvessels and the cycle continues indefiantely!

So here are my questions: is it possible to reverse the tiny bloodvessels without any expensive procedure? (i've stumbled across this as an alternative to the alsers and lpi : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sclerotherapy )

Would tropical treatments be more effective after the laser/IPL treatments? I figured that if we can stop the inflammation cycle (dilated blood vessels creating more dialated bloodvessels) then we will be able to more effectively control our rosacea with tropical treatments.

Lastly, how long does and LPI / Laser treatment last? This seems very dependant on the person and i've getting lots of different conflicting information. Living in the information age is not as cool as i thought it would be, there is not one true answer to our problems.

Yes I know what you mean about too much info, it just raises more questions

Sclerotherapy tends to be used more for veins on the body, I have not heard anyone really mention it for the face. Lasers can work well for facial veins but it is a bit of an ongoing battle. My advise would be to continue to read the link that missy provided and then try out some of the supplements, etc mentioned. I am sure at the moment the veins are only noticeable to you and so I would just look to calm you skin in others ways first.

right on Sarah.