Thread: Skin Barrier issues

Default Skin Barrier issues

Hi all,
    Second post of the day already

Just wondered if there is any way of testing to see if your skin barrier is operating correctly eg Biopsy etc.
    I ask as im almost certain my issues are due to an impaired skin barrier which allows the two good buddys Rosacea and Seb derm to come out and play.
    Also is there any OTC products that can help aid in the repair of the barrier?

thanks all

Nick

Hi Nick,
    I'm don't know of any test for skin barrier function besides feeling irritation/stinging/burning whenever you apply lotion etc but I believe CeraVe products claim to help this issue.

http://www.cerave.com/

http://www.cerave.com/mve.htm

I use the cream and lotion and feel it does help my skin maintain moisture and feel better.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Hi Melissa,
    Does this have a greasy feel to it?

regards

Nick

The lotion most definitely not but the cream may for some. I have skin that is on the dry side so I use the cream more than the lotion and do not find it to be greasy. I like the way it feels. The lotion is much lighter though so depending on your skin type you may want to use the lotion (lighter) or cream (heavier but not greasy for me).

Theres a osmotics moisturizer called tri ceram that repairs the barrier

I really liked it,but i found it kinda clogged pores if I didn't use a light acne product.

I don't know that one. You might want to try the CeraVe lotion then as it is very light and I think it is non comedogenic and therefore less likely to clog pores.

When I was first diagnosed with rosacea I had heaps of issues with my skin stinging and burning whenever I applied something. I stumbled across emu oil and was shocked that a) it didn't make my face sting and b) it didn't make me break out. When I use the emu oil I can tolerate topicals like rozex gel with no probs. I have used emu oil for 5 years.

So I do believe if you can find a good moisturiser it will help a lot. I know derms recommend aqueous cream too.

What is it that makes you think the barrier function is impaired?

Thanks for the suggestions

Will look into those products.

MediumDog i may be way off the mark here but im assuming i have a skin barrier defect due to what is happening at present to my skin. I have been adviced i have seb derm and rosacea which i am currently trying to resolve, however i feel my skin does not show typical seb derm patterns. My skin is very oily and dry which is a common condition of this complaint but the dry flakey areas are all over my face more so the beard area. The inflamation is mainly on the cheek areas which presents itself as small unraised red spots.
    Whilst i dont fully understand the mechanisms and structure of the skin, im assuming(again) in my case my barrier has gone AWOL as the inflammation does not cease.
    OR maybe the inflammation has overwhelmed the skin barrier.
    I could be totally wrong here however just feel a biopsy in most cases would tell and inform patients of what is really happening with regards to their skin.

all the best

Nick

I may be wrong but I don't think it would be possible to diagnose barrier problems from a biopsy.

Two main reasons. What you might call the actual barrier itself, (the stratum corneum) is only a very small number of cells thick and would be, I think, destroyed in its structure when removing the skin as part of the biospy procedure. So you wouldn't be able to perform anything on the sample itself as a structural entity.

But more to the point is that I don't think there are any 'markers' for impaired skin barrier that could be tested for through a biopsy. Sure, you could reveal raised/lowered levels of this or that marker, but I don't think there is such a thing as a standard picture of the levels things should be at for normal barrier function. Not extant in the lower dermatological domain, at least (i.e. the practicing dermatologists you meet).

One does often hear in studies of various measures being taken to determine barrier function, such as a measure of trans-epidermal water loss (TEWL) and a few other things. They're not done through a biopsy, but through other means. I have no idea how one would get oneself tested along these lines. A lot of nagging of a hospital dermatologist, probably.

Do let us know if you manage it. I would be pretty interested.