Page 10 of 47 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: My flushing is almost cured-Mepacrine

Lookout,

Nice rant, I hear you on all levels.

Folks, I just realized something that may be of some benefit, although in a different class, Doxycycline and Clindamycin are antimilarials. These are used as first line treatments in Rosacea. Might be worth mentioning if/when you approach your next derm. Meparcine is just another form or class of an antimilarial. Still hoping we can get that paper from Pub Med, but pointing out that Doxy and Clynda are also antimilarials may be of some help.

This info is according to wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimalarials#Clindamycin

Lookout that sucks! Prescribing steroids is pretty dodgey. At least my derm had that on the not to do list!

We shall see how I go getting an anti-malarial. I can't tolerate antibiotics so maybe they will be willing to let me try plaquenil or something.

Interesting that doxy & clindamycin are also antimalarias........I can't tolerated doxy it makes my face burn and flush and my intestinal tract go nuts.....even Oracea has been impossible to tolerate for me.....never took clindamycin....wonder how safe that one is?

Plaquenil is what most derms would use for Discoid Lupus patients as far as I know in the US.......for rosacea that's gonna be difficult to find some doctor to let you try it w/o something supporting it's use....at this point I have to just sit on this info.....can't get anyone to listen to me.....but STEROIDS are available....one can always get those!
    Dx 1998

I don't know about Plaquenil - from what I undersatnd it can cause serious eye complications/damage that is irreversible. Not worth the risk imo. From what I can gather Mepracine (when used at a low dose) is one of the safest antimilarils (side effect wise).

So philika, how long did it take for you to notice it working? Is your flushing stopped too?

So i gather this could possibly help p&ps as well, especially if it's used with lupus (and lupus has a nice rashy bumpy inflammation). But i don't think any of you had that with your rosacea type?

Quote Originally Posted by EK1 View Post
    So philika, how long did it take for you to notice it working? Is your flushing stopped too?

So i gather this could possibly help p&ps as well, especially if it's used with lupus (and lupus has a nice rashy bumpy inflammation). But i don't think any of you had that with your rosacea type?
    I am wondering about this too. If it's an anti-inflammatory it should help P&P's . I might contact a compounding pharmacy to see if we have mepacrine available that way.

Any chance your'e from Toronto? Haha.

I'm also in the GTA...

Quote Originally Posted by valby View Post
    I am wondering about this too. If it's an anti-inflammatory it should help P&P's . I might contact a compounding pharmacy to see if we have mepacrine available that way.
    All compounding pharmacy's can make it,no matter what city you are in..

Quote Originally Posted by RedFaced View Post
    I don't know about Plaquenil - from what I undersatnd it can cause serious eye complications/damage that is irreversible. Not worth the risk imo. From what I can gather Mepracine (when used at a low dose) is one of the safest antimilarils (side effect wise).
    Thats what my doctor told me,he was 110% against plaquenil