Page 7 of 47 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: My flushing is almost cured-Mepacrine

Quote Originally Posted by phlika29 View Post
    Weird isnt it that there isnt more onfo.
    I am not too surprised about this as the use of Mepacrine in rosacea patients is off label. I don't think there has been much research done concerning the use of Mepacrine and rosacea yet. And we all know how slowly scientific research can go.

What is good to know is that Dr Chu uses this drug for his resistant rosacea flushing patients. I would be very interested to know why he started doing this. Perhaps he has some research backing up this treatment that might be informative to other doctors.

Quote Originally Posted by EK1 View Post
    so to clarify do you have to keep taking this forever (all your life) basically, or will it help once stopping?

Maybe, maybe not. I think for some people it will put them into remission and they will be able to come off the drug and be rosacea free. For others such as myself who have numerous auto immune problems, my guess is it will come back....but probably not as severe.

Aknyone know if you can be on this medication and also have laser tx's at the same time?

I am thinking not....if it changes slightly the color of your skin to more yellow...not sure just wondering.
    Dx 1998

You dont have to say you found out from people on a forum

I said my cousin has the same severe flushing as me and one of the best dermatologist,dr.chu in england prescribes this for patients with are condition.

and you guys can sit on the computer and wonder if you can get it but the only thing you can do is really go and try

I got denied twice before I actually got it,you just can't have the mindset of "its hopeless I cant get it"

I bugged my doctor to the boiling point and he saw that no matter how many times I got denied I would keep coming back

but to be fair,on the 3rd time I came in he looked up the drug I wanted to take and how it has severe side affects and I was like wait a minute thats not it lol and he looked up mepacrine and saw that it might be fine to take and I told him I called the pharmacist before I came in and she said they compound it all the time..

Sorry it's hard to keep up with all the posts on this.
    So in summary who has it helped and to what degree (ie. no more flushing, reduction in flushing)
    and are they still on it.

I am in Canada too (Toronto) so if i can get this drug maybe i should give it a try. I'm only considered with what the safety is for using this long-term.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfpipe101 View Post
    You dont have to say you found out from people on a forum

I said my cousin has the same severe flushing as me and one of the best dermatologist,dr.chu in england prescribes this for patients with are condition.

and you guys can sit on the computer and wonder if you can get it but the only thing you can do is really go and try

I got denied twice before I actually got it,you just can't have the mindset of "its hopeless I cant get it"

I bugged my doctor to the boiling point and he saw that no matter how many times I got denied I would keep coming back

but to be fair,on the 3rd time I came in he looked up the drug I wanted to take and how it has severe side affects and I was like wait a minute thats not it lol and he looked up mepacrine and saw that it might be fine to take and I told him I called the pharmacist before I came in and she said they compound it all the time..
    In all fairness, most Doctors are not going to give it to you based on a fabricated story of a family member somewhere overseas OR because you keep bugging them, it's not like asking your parents to go to Disney World, where if you keep asking they will eventually give in.

I appreciate the advice nonetheless.

I think the best think we can do is bring it up and bring in as much info on the drug in terms of literature that we can dig up. Perhps even mentioning Dr. Chu in the UK and a possibility of our Dr contacting Dr. Chu directly for more info IF they show any willingness to persue things, that is. That's my 2 cents...
    Last edited by RedFaced; 13th June 2009 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phlika29 View Post
    Weird isnt it that there isnt more onfo.
    people just go to your doctor and try

seriously if I did it anyone can do it

seriously you dont know my doctor lol..

I have been having a look for research articles and I think that it is mentioned in regards dermatology. I might be completely wrong but I would like to be able to have a look at this article if anyone can access it (for free)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.libezpro...ubmed/15793325

Does Doctor Chu have a website?
    I would like to try to collect any info or documents supporting the use
    of mepacrine for rosacea/flushing so that I have something to back me
    up at my next doctors appointment.

My question is to lamarr, halfpipe and whoever else this helped...

To what degree did it help you? (ie lessen flushing, no more flushing, etc.)
    Are you still on it?

Clonidine was a bust for me and i'm looking at other options to help my flushing. The more info i could provide my doc with, the better chance i can have of getting this.

So basically, Dr. Chu also prescribes this? I may be going to London in October, so maybe it is worth it to see him to get it if i cannot get it from a doctor here in Canada.