Thread: Vitamin D/Sunlight & Anxiety

Default Vitamin D/Sunlight & Anxiety

This has probably been mentioned on here before but I thought Id mention it anyways. I've noticed that when I take anti-anxiety medication like xanax and lorazepam, my rosacea is definately calmed down (I just have permanent redness, not bumps or acne or anything). Not completely gone, but about half as bad. So I think it may be worth it to some people to see if that helps. You cant take it everyday as it will probably destroy your liver over time or cause addiction, but maybe just to establish wether anxiety is making things worse (or possibly the main cause). Im not so sure if its anxiety that is the initial cause, but it may be worth looking into. If you can establish that anxiety makes it worse, maybe you can start taking measures to reduce anxiety and this may help turn things around, who knows.

Also, I was reading alot of articles about Vitamin D, specifically Vitamin D3, which we get from sunlight (and very small sources in a few foods). Im only now beginning to look into this, so I cant post any results yet, but Im going to start taking some Vitamin D supplements and see if this helps at all. I just thought Id mention this as well because my rosacea appeared during very stressful times for me, but I was also not going outside at all during that time and barely getting any sunlight (I work online, and I was wrongfully arrested for something, so I was kind of paranoid to go outside for about 7 months because I felt like the world was out to get me or that something like that might happen again if I go outside, just a crazy time for me). To this day I still do not go outside (because Im under the impression that sunlight makes it worse, plus I still work online and that takes up alot of my time), however it might be worth looking into. If anybody else developed their rosacea during a period of little to no-sunlight in their lives, please post and let us all know if thats the case. It would be interesting to find out that many people developed it during times like these, with no sunlight. My face does get more red when I go out in direct sunlight (I live in Florida now). But I was reading that to get vitamin d, you dont need direct sunlight (which is bad), but just mild sunlight for 15 or 20 minutes a day.
    Last edited by CJBAY; 24th May 2009 at 12:02 PM.

Default Vitamin D3

Hi CJBAY,

You may find this link helpful.

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...ad.php?t=18193

Best wishes,
    Melissa

woah! I should have known it was already discussed here haha. I should have searched first. thanks Melissa.

You're welcome CJBAY
    I hope it is helpful.

Hi CJBay,

FYI too, I'm certainly no expert, but there is a decent amount of research that suggests low Vitamin D levels might also contribute to anxiety and depression. Here are a few studies that I found:

CpnHelp: Vitamin D3 and Mental Health

Hope this helps. Take care...

Quote Originally Posted by CJBAY View Post
    I've noticed that when I take anti-anxiety medication like xanax and lorazepam, my rosacea is definately calmed down (I just have permanent redness, not bumps or acne or anything). Not completely gone, but about half as bad.
    Benzodiazepines definitely reduce redness, but as they're physically addictive and IMO decrease quality of life (brain fog, etc.) it's not really worth it.
    KNOWLEDGE = POWER

^ Hey bud, that is a bit of a blanket and unfair statment. Anxiety medications do not cause "brain fog" in everyone who takes them. I know of some people that have been on these medications and after an initial few weeks of the body adapting, no longer have any significant side effects. It is something that is best discussed with a Doctor, in terms of pros and possible cons.

To the OP - yes, having no sign light is definitely not good for the body or mind. If you are having issues with going out into the world, there are other options in the meantime, like stepping out into your backyard or onto your balcony (if you live in an apartment). Or taking a 20 min drive to a differnt part of town where you can walk for 30 mins or so.

I try to make an effort to get outdoors for at least 1 hour per day, usually an hour before dusk in the evening (around 7:30pm - 8:30pm around here) when the sun is starting to set and therefore the light is not harsh and/or direct. Fresh air, foilage, and a good hour walk will not only help you rosacea but your anxiety as well. GIve it a shot...good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFaced View Post
    ^ Hey bud, that is a bit of a blanket and unfair statment. Anxiety medications do not cause "brain fog" in everyone who takes them. I know of some people that have been on these medications and after an initial few weeks of the body adapting, no longer have any significant side effects. It is something that is best discussed with a Doctor, in terms of pros and possible cons.
    ^Hey pal, I was not referring to anxiety medication in general, I was referring to benzodiazepines in particular, and in my opinion (which is what "IMO" stands for, in my original post) they are not worth it (see: physical addiction). I'm trying to find the part in my post where I advised people not to discuss medications with their doctor... nope, can't find it.
    KNOWLEDGE = POWER

^ hey friend, no need to get your back up against the wall. I just think it is best to discuss medications with doctors then taking the opinion or advice of somebody on the net who may have had a negative experience or have a negative opinion on them. They do not cause physical dependence in all cases and benzo's can be helpful for a lot of people in the right situations, under the right guidance/supervision.

Best left to the patient and the doctor rather then touting out advice of it "not really beiing worth it" because everyone reacts and responds differently, that's all I was getting at. Nothing wrong with sharing your views or experiences/opinions, but keep in mind that those negative experiences don't happen to everyone - otherwise the medication would not exist. The OP has had some success with them under certain circumstances which is why this thread exists.

If I struck a nerve, I do apologize.
    Last edited by RedFaced; 26th May 2009 at 02:12 AM.