Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: feeling worse. And fed up

Default feeling worse. And fed up

So I'm having to shave more and more now, I mean my face, since I'm a guy. It's now pretty much every week, and I always come away feeling and looking worse than normal (which isn't even good).

The stress of coming exams can't help, but everything seems to be getting worse, welling up, and threatening to overcome me; I won't be melodramatic, but after several years, I'm getting tired of it.

How do you guys cope with it all? I so often feel like just curling up into a little, snug ball with a cup of tea and never leaving -

the show must go on

Default Simple yet hard

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura Kun View Post
    So I'm having to shave more and more now, I mean my face, since I'm a guy. It's now pretty much every week, and I always come away feeling and looking worse than normal (which isn't even good).

The stress of coming exams can't help, but everything seems to be getting worse, welling up, and threatening to overcome me; I won't be melodramatic, but after several years, I'm getting tired of it.

How do you guys cope with it all? I so often feel like just curling up into a little, snug ball with a cup of tea and never leaving -
    Keeping things in perspective. Its really that simple and yet also that hard.

I've preached about this many times on here but let us not forget that by and large our problems with Rosacea pale (no pen intended....okay maybe a little) in comparison with the daily issues facing the majority of people on this planet. I mean many people won't eat anything today, that is a problem to curl up in a ball over.

Its a problem to de dealt with but unless you obsess constantly about your appearance (if you do you should either make a a conscience decision not to, and if you can't get profession assistance with it) it is only as difficult as you want to make it.

I'm a lawyer and appear in court before judges, juries and other lawyers I don't know constantly. I look better some days than others. I just maintain a constant confidence level in myself knowing that no matter how I look the substance of what I say cannot be changed by Rosacea unless I let it. Inevitably that is how you will be judged.

I shave every second day and use Aveeno shaving gel for sensitive skin. I also use at least a 3 blade razor (the more blades the less aggravating). I find electrics to be too aggravating, I have tired them all. Immediately following shaving I splash with cold water, pat dry and use toleriane moisturizer. I am red after but it dies down over the day.
    "Get busy living or get busy dying."

I really miss how much better a shave can get with a razor
    but since started using an electric last year will never go back
    much less damaging to your skin if your face is inflamed.

The key is not to press so hard
    and just accept that it will never be as close as a razor

I use a hair shaver. So it's not totally shaved, sexy!
    No irritation at all with that.
    Shaving is forbidden with rosacea, in my opinion. And don't put any after shave or whatever. Even if no alcohol. No need to put chemicals on the skin... That's my point of view!

Quote Originally Posted by J-Mill View Post
    Keeping things in perspective. Its really that simple and yet also that hard.

I've preached about this many times on here but let us not forget that by and large our problems with Rosacea pale (no pen intended....okay maybe a little) in comparison with the daily issues facing the majority of people on this planet. I mean many people won't eat anything today, that is a problem to curl up in a ball over.

Its a problem to de dealt with but unless you obsess constantly about your appearance (if you do you should either make a a conscience decision not to, and if you can't get profession assistance with it) it is only as difficult as you want to make it.
    I agree we should keep things in perspective...there is much worse than Rosacea. However, there's also much better and I think where Rosacea fits on the scale in terms of paling in comparison to daily problems, is of course dependent upon your condition severity. Speaking personally, the physical pain (intense heated flushes, severe burning, hypersensitive skin etc) Rosacea caused me for many years was indeed something to bring me to my knees... As has been the emotional pain at times with the broad sweeping ways my life changed to accommodate my condition.

I may be one of the more extreme cases, and I don't mean to tell a sob story as I'm much better now...I just think it's important that we acknowledge Rosacea as a potentially life-altering chronic condition, which often goes beyond one's appearance.

So Sakura Kun, I think generally I'd agree that things could be worse and we have choices-perhaps not in the hand we're dealt, but how we play it. We can be grateful for what Rosacea isn't, while at the same time respecting its power. The latter will lead you to learning more about it and things you can do to help yourself. Which in turn will make you feel more empowered and not so discouraged, if that makes sense.

Since I'm not a man myself ;) I don't have to worry about shaving, but I know there are some guys around who have found shaving routines for their sensitive skin. To get you started, thePanasonic wet/dry shaver is a popular choice for the least irritating. You may also find this thread helpful.

Good luck, and keep going despite perceived setbacks.
    Last edited by banshee; 26th May 2009 at 04:47 AM.
    My weapons :

Aura/Lyra lasers-70+txs
    RLT (DPL)
    Modified OCM using; microfiber cloth, jojoba/safflower oil, & cool water
    Everyday Minerals
    Bare Minerals Primetime
    Linda Sy Oatmeal & Goodskin All Calm Cleanser
    Replenix Green Tea Serum
    homemade moisturizer w/dimethicone
    Ester C, NSI brand SOD
    Thera Tears supplement & PF gel drops

"Mornie utúlië (darkness has come)..Believe and you will find your way.
    Mornie alantië (darkness has fallen)..A promise lives within you now."

I am kinda lucky since my beard stops just over the edge of my chin so I do not have to touch my cheeks. However I recommend using a regular electric machine, you do not need to put anything on your skin and all you are doing is touching your skin very softly.

Exellent post banshee! And good to read your post again. I agree with you. There is no comparison between different cases of rosacea unfortunately. Some "just" suffer from p&p's, some have occasional flushing episodes, and some have been brought on their knees by the rosacea, like me. I have, like banshee, severe vascular rosacea, and their have been times (years) that I could only sit behind a fan 24/7, cooling my face with cool packs and suffering from the ongoing heat and burning of my face with scaling skin from all the inflammation and heath, badly swollen and unable to eat, sleep or do anything else. This is how bad it can get. No social life anymore, no life at all actually. The good part is that rosacea can be stopped in it's tracks and improved. Medication has helped me a lot. But in these stages rosacea can be completely disabilitating and a terrible condition to suffer from, especially as so little is still known about it and (still) so little proper treatments are out there. I would have be extremely happy to trade a leg for painless normal skin again at the time.

But a big part of this condition is mentally as well: it affects your self image, your self esteem and your sense of control. It can trigger severe anxiety and depression and cause a bulk of problems, that little people in every day life face at the same time. Of course there are way worse diseases, that are deadly or more painful, but always keep in mind that this condition can get very severe for some. Also the fact that it also affects people at a very young age (despite literature claiming it only occurs above 30, which is rubbish) has to be taken into account. When you get a serious disease at a higher age, it usually is less difficult as you have matured more and have a better idea of who you are, but at age 20 (me) this is a life changing and very complex condition for many.

I had to stop with my law studies because of the rosacea. I couldn't go to court, needed a fan all the time. Luckily I studied art history instead and am extremely happy now with my work, which I can do mostly from home as a freelancer and researcher, so it fits my rosacea much better (as well as my personality and interests), but it shows the impact rosacea cán have for some......

having this though, there should only be one way forward in my opinion: getting good knowledge of your triggers and working around them. Finding a proper treatment method and having perseverance and patients with this search, as well as confidence that it will get better. And indeed a positive outlook on things, or as positive as can be. Stress and anxiety worsen the condition significantly for some. Quiet a lot to deal with I would say!!

Hi Kristen and Natalja,

I am so glad you guys are doing much better and thanks for those great thoughtful posts. It is really nice to see you again and so happy that things are going well for you both.

Melissa

Excellent posts, both Banshee and Natalja!

I am so glad you posted about dealing with your severe rosacea as I feel it has offered some balance to the recurring perception that rosacea is always a minimal problem and if one diverts one's attention elsewhere, they can simply get on with life.
    As the both of you and I know, sadly this isn't always the case.
    Rosacea in it's severest form can be more debilitating than many better known diseases.
    Previous Numerous IPL.
    Supplements: Niacinamide, Vit K2, low D3, Vit A. Moderate Dose Vit C, Iodine, Taurine, Magnesium. Very low dose B's. Low dose zinc (to correct deficiency).
    Skin Care: No Cleanser, ZZ cream mixed with Niacinamide gel 4% and LMW HA 2%, ethyl ascorbate 2%.

Treating for gut dysbiosis.(This is helping).
    Previous GAPS diet. Have now introduced lots of fibre.
    Fermented Foods. Intermittent fasting -16-18 hours.
    Oral Colostrum. Helps reduce food reactions.