Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Aczone, a topical gel formulation of the antibacterial, anti-inflammatory dapsone for

Default My aczone experience

I was prescribed (as well as given a bunch of samples of) Aczone about a month ago. I was told to use it every other day for p&p's and ended up using it everyday, as they wouldn't go away. In fact they got substantially worse. My forehead became quite irritated and red, and p&p activity increased. I had also just began taking Oracea, so I wasn't sure if this could have been an 'initial breakout', or something. At any rate, I stopped using it.

Within about 3-4 days of ceasing use, all of my p&p disappeared. I was amazed, and figured the Oracea was beginning to work. Unfortunately, this was not the case, as they came back, though with less ferocity, after about 3-4 of clearance.

I am now attempting to use Aczone again, this time, applying it only every other day, as prescribed. Two days in, not much of a change yet.

Why are p&p's such a puzzle?

- stphn

Stphn, I wish someone could answer that and provide an adequate and lasting solution.

If you want to know why Aczone does not work, read the FDA statement below. Its only about 3 pages long so I would suggest you read it. Everyone knows that the FDA came down on Allergan for making false claims about it and that it was proven to be almost no better than a placebo. Thats why you rarely see it being tried, except by people who's doctors have an Interest in pescribing it.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/G.../UCM179831.pdf

I am about to try Clarifoam EF which is a combination of sulfacetamide and sulfur but in a foam. That might be worth a try for you.
    Last edited by lws1; 9th October 2010 at 12:29 PM.

Melissa,

Is the Aczone still working for you?

Thanks,

Russie

Hi Russie,
    I stopped using Aczone a long time ago. I never used it on my whole face though- I only spot applied it when I did use it.
    I only use Oracea now for controlling the papules and thankfully it seems to be doing a good job.

Best,
    Melissa

Default Aczone miracle drug for erythematotelangietatic rosacea (facial redness)?

I (32/m) have suffered from erythematotelangietatic rosacea (facial redness) with comination oily skin for over ten years. I have tried every oral and topical antibiotic / other medication in the book with no luck at all. Have also tried a wide variety of treatments, including topical retinoids, accutane, etc. My problem is that EVERYTHING irritates my skin: moisturizers, medications, caffeine, sun exposure, sunscreen, soap, etc.

My dermatologist recently gave me Aczone (Dapsone) gel to try. She said it was originally designed for acne and was found to be not very effective for acne, but has proven very effective for rosacea.

I CANNOT BEGIN TO TELL YOU THE DIFFERENCE THAT IT HAS MADE WITH MY SKIN. It has completely cleared up the redness, papules, pimples, sun spots AND oil. I have only been using it for a couple of months. I pray to god that it keeps working.

The only problem that I have noticed is that if I apply too much in the morning, it does make my skin somewhat oily, but if I only apply a thin layer, it works wonderfully.

People (women) are complementing me left and right, asking if I've changed my hair color and telling me that my tan looks great. I haven't changed anything. I could not be happier with Aczone (so far)!!!

Has anyone else had any experience with Aczone for rosacea?
    Last edited by chrisl1979; 1st July 2011 at 07:29 PM.

Default Aczone

My derm prx Aczone 2 weeks ago. I was surprised it didn't burn or irritate my skin (most everything does). It does seem to shrink the pimples down but I just got a whole new batch of them yesterday on my cheek after flushing from being in a warm room. I've got to try something. The derm wanted to put me on low dose accutane but I refused (I have ocular rosacea and severe dry eye). I'm also taking doxy but not sure it helps much.

This user has been banned from this forum

Quote Originally Posted by buntbean View Post
    My derm prx Aczone 2 weeks ago. I was surprised it didn't burn or irritate my skin (most everything does). It does seem to shrink the pimples down but I just got a whole new batch of them yesterday on my cheek after flushing from being in a warm room. I've got to try something. The derm wanted to put me on low dose accutane but I refused (I have ocular rosacea and severe dry eye). I'm also taking doxy but not sure it helps much.
    are you using acne medication to stop flushing ......or the pimples ????....sounds like your doctor hasn't got a clue about Rosacea
    Last edited by peteroche; 13th January 2013 at 01:03 AM.