Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: About V-Beam

It is actually a good idea that it the newer vbeams don't punch out white holes in the skin. It really is the most unnatural thing to see and is hard to get rid of. It took me years to sort out the mess but I can still see it:

Treating the diffused generalized redness of rosacea requires some skill as opposed to treating the linear facial veins. If one over-treats an area, one can see the footprints of the laser treatment. Circular marks can be seen where the laser passed with over-treatment, so it takes skill to treat it properly. If a patient gets over-treated it can give the illusion that they have been scarred, but they're not actually scarred. The reason for this is that people with very light skin, like me, get most of the color in their skin from this redness. If a doctor over-treats that redness it can leave white marks that look like scarring, but in fact are the skin's normal color. The way to fix this, believe it or not, is to get additional laser treatments. It is very important to see a physician who is experienced in using lasers when treating rosacea.
    http://www.rosaceatreatment.org/laser.aspx

Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by phlika29 View Post
    It is actually a good idea that it the newer vbeams don't punch out white holes in the skin. It really is the most unnatural thing to see and is hard to get rid of. It took me years to sort out the mess but I can still see it:

http://www.rosaceatreatment.org/laser.aspx
    Yes, but I WANT the white holes. If I got the white holes, I could eventually just punch white holes everywhere and then they would no longer be white holes, just white.

Quote Originally Posted by boyandhisdog View Post
    Yes, but I WANT the white holes. If I got the white holes, I could eventually just punch white holes everywhere and then they would no longer be white holes, just white.
    Then you can be the white ho

No you dont. Trust me, it looks very bad.

Retired Moderator

Okay, seriously, if you have some white areas, they could then be feathered together. I have the financial means, time and werewithall (sp?) to go a hundred times if I needed to.

The point is, if I can't get even one spot to turn white, how effective can it be for me in terms of the background redness?

Regardless, I understand what you are saying, no one wants individual white spots.

Well I just dont think it would work quite how you want. When it is first done there are very strong demarcation lines and as you say they slowly blend together as you get more treatments. But in the meantime you have to live with them. When you flush those areas may stay pure white adding to the strange look.

If you get through the first few treatments and the dots begin to join up you will not be able to achieve an even look and you will still get a strong line between the area treated and the bit that isnt. Yes more can be feathered out with other lasers but it never fully goes and it comes back. The red veins that I get on my right side work around the dots that were treated.

Sorry hard to explain properly but I would try IPL first of for diffuse redness first.

For background redness it worked fantastically. But as it says in the quote it looks unnatural if that is how you get some colour into your skin tone.

Miss D-
    I would echo Melissa's statement above a bit. I am usually a big proponent of purpuric V-beam with the caveat- for visible vessels. I am generally a nice pinkish hue. One of those people that is constantly told, "Oh, you look like you have gotten some sun."

Anyway, the purpuric V-beam has worked well for visible vessels, but as for the general redness, not so much. I don't know how that compares to what you describe per se, but I can tell you that while purpuric treatment has resolved many of my vessels, it didn't punch white holes into my skin so to speak. So, I don't know that it would particularly help you.

That said, I am in no way trying to discourage you and might add that I don't think it will make anything worse, just that it possibly might not provide the benefit you desire.

And yes, it does make them explode for a basic description of its action.
    Yeah, my nose has been almost constantly pink for several months to maybe even a year before rosacea really set in so I expect it to take longer to treat than anything else. It being pale half the time now or close to it is a pretty big improvement in that regard. What amazed me about the purpuric option though is that at the consultation I was shown photos of before/after pictures and one woman had redness all over her face that looked like a sunburn, but with one purpuric treatment looked completely normal once the bruises have faded so that has given me hope that it could possibly help my stubborn nose. I'll have to discuss it more with my derm.

Thanks for your input, it's appreciated.

Retired Moderator

I hope like hell it works for you as depicted/described then. I eagerly await an update.

Not to piss in Sarah's cheerios, but I would be happy with just one white hole or ho (I've been married a long time.)

I dont think that you would get this issue with the newer pdl's anyway or you probabaly have to turn them up very high. i was treated on the NHS over10 years ago by doctors used to treating birth marks so I would think that they used very high settings. This wasnt helped by only being allowed a certain number of treatments before the decision was made that they could not help any further and thus no ability or desire by them to do any feathering.

I am currrently having treatmetns with the n-lite pdl and I have found that this has actually lessened the general redness that I have on my cheeks but thankfully hasnt left white patches.