Thread: how do you remove mineral suncreens?

Default how do you remove mineral suncreens?

I am brand-new and maybe should be posting under newbie. Hmm.

My question is about removing mineral sunblock. I have tried many brands and none of them wash off well. Right now I am using a powder sunblock that *supposedly* washes off easily, but it still is hard to remove completely and I hate how it looks.

I don't want to use a very harsh cleanser. Right now what my skin seems to tolerate Free and Clear (although it is a little drying) and La Roche-Posay Toleraine Dermo-Cleanser. I have tried using stronger cleansers, but they irritated my skin and yet still did not really get it clean. I have used jojoba oil as a "pre-cleanse" and that works, but then I have to remove the oil somehow. Hmm.

Do other people have this problem? What do you do?

Thanks!

starling

Most people use the oil as a "pre-cleanser", then follow up with the regular cleanser to take any oily residue off.

jojoba oil and cotton swabs..
    take care,

John

Default thank you...

What do you use to wash off the oil? I am having trouble removing it with my regular cleanser. It seems like oil residue might flare my seborrheic dermatitis.

I wish I could still just wear chemical sunscreens! Oh, well.

Thank you!

I use Eucerin cleansing gel to remove the sunblock on my face.
    I apply the cleansing gel and then tissue it off and then rinse it off with water after that. Sometimes I do this a few times to get off the sunblock.

I just remembered another way I remove the physical sunblock.
    I use baby wipes first and take off what I can of the sunblock with the baby wipes and then wash. It really helps. I forgot until I applied the sunblock all over my body this weekend since we were outside the whole time. It really works and makes it much easier to remove the sunblock.
    I use the unscented baby wipes and it doesn't aggravate my skin or face. Not sure if everyone can tolerate it though.

Use any oil you have in your kitchen, massage it gently into your skin, then tissue off. Then follow with your regular cleanser. I've used Shu Uemura cleansing oils, kiehls cleansing oil, DHC cleansing oil (my favorite), but when I ran out of these, good old extra virgin olive oil in my kitchen worked just as well.

Starling--

Hi. I am somewhat of a newbie as well. I have the same problem you do with getting sunscreen off. Everyone is different though and while the suggestions are good- I cannot put oil on my face at all and if I would pull a tissue along my face to take oil off I would flare big time.Using a baby wipe with all the chemicals that they put in those would be a no go as well. I have seen methyl paraben in the huggies sensitive. So...I cannot figure out what to do at all. I tried Peter Thomas Roth instant sunscreen a sheer powder with spf 30--I could def. live with that stuff BUT my derm said no.
    The one thing I have learned at this board is that everybody has different tolerance levels and that while I do not have severe rosacea I seem to be able to tolerate less than most here.
    Last edited by roz; 3rd June 2009 at 03:56 PM.