Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Moisturiser & Cover-Up For severely flaky,crusty,dry,red Seb Derm Skin? HELP!

Default What Moisturiser & Cover-Up For severely flaky,crusty,dry,red Seb Derm Skin? HELP!

Hello everyone,

I have posted on these forums several months ago, but I am at an all-time low now, and am close to giving up on life all together.

I have had a combined Seborrheic Dermatitis and Rosacea condition for almost 9 years now, and it is mainly characterised by chronically red, blotchy, pimpley and, worst of all, severely dry, flaky and crusty skin on the T-Zone of the face. (the forehead and the sides of the nose basically).

Without going through my last 9 years (I am a 25-year-old guy btw), which has included trying virtually every product out there on the market, the main problem has always been the dry, crusty flakiness because it means that I can't use anything to cover up the unsightliness. Any tinted moisturiser, cover-up or dare I say, make-up, would just dry onto my crusty face, and would look awful, and clear for everyone to see.

However, I got to a stage around 9 months ago where I found some moisturising products that allowed me to control the dry conditions, and I actually could cover up my redness etc without anyone noticing. Life with rosacea was still stressful, but at least I was controlling the condition, and I sort of got my life back. The products were Linda Sy. I used moisturising oil for face and body to wash my face in the morning, then Vita Oil straight after, before using another seperate moisturiser called Eucerin. This got rid of all the dry conditions - it was great!

Then, just was my luck, a few months after finding something I had been searching for for 8 years, Linda Sy decided to close down, and the lady who run it (selfishly in my eyes) did not even sell on her company. Within weeks of running out of the products, my face was out of control again, the dryness, flakiness and crustiness is horrific and worst than it has ever been. Any cover-up I put on my face just dries onto it again and looks awful. I have started trying different moisturisers and products to combat the dryness (none of which have worked, just like pre-Linda Sy), but Im pretty hacked off with everything, and dont expect to find anything.

I come here pretty much as last resort, and hope that there are some of you (well actually I don't hope what I have on anyone but anyway) who have experienced exactly what I have described above, and can recommend some moisturisers, and a great moisturising regime that could work for me. Also, if someone can recommend a good tinted moisturiser, make-up and/or cover-up - ones that will be suitable for such severe dry skin conditions, won't dry on the skin, and won't be obvious to others (I am a man, and its very embarassing for people to see make-up on your face so I dont want anyone to be able to notice) - then I would be eternally grateful.

Apologies for the length of this email, but it was difficult to explain my situation concisely.

I hope to hear some suggestions soon

Thanks so much

I am sorry that you are going through this

Some of Linda sy's stuff is available again through another company:

http://rosacea-support.org/zinco-vit...#comment-27245

I know how you feel as I've been there myself many times.

Have you tried low dose Accutane (5mg-10mg every 2 or 3 days)? Pau D Arco, Plexion pads (sodium sulfacetamide), and staying away from sugar all help me a bit.

I would not recommend oral antifungals (Lamisil/Itraconazole) or any steroid creams as they have done nothing for me (except made my seb derm worse). Am curious about Fluconazole however (oral or topical).

Just trying to exhaust all options...

Hi-
    I don't know if this will help or not, but if you have a Sephora near you, they will give you a sample. It's a very subtle cover-up and I don't think anyone would notice if you're wearing it. It won't hide things, but it will make them less noticible. Good luck; I feel for you.

Ask for Cargo blu_ray™ High Definition Mattifier http://www.sephora.com/browse/produc...ategoryId=4257

I would like to see what other people use, as well.

I personally use an oil free moisturizer, and (after about 5-10 mins) I use a sheer matte tint. For me, the trick is to apply a very thin layer right after moisturizing, which helps it go on smooth without cracks and flakes.

The moisturizer I am using now is by shiseido and I forget the name but its really expensive and it honestly doesn't work a whole lot better than your run-of-the mill oil-free moisturizer.

The matte tint is Paula's Choice Sheer Matte tint. Its like spf 15 or something too, which is nice. It oil free, so it doesnt make me break out (and I do so easily), and dries matte so i'm not all shiny or greasy.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have amazing coverage... it won't completely hide redness unless it is very mild--but it does make it less noticeable and bearable.

Hope that helps you!

I might be outta line here but your skin doesn't sound like seb derm at all? From what I know, if you have dry skin after putting a moisturizer or sunscreen on that is not normal for seb derm, I don't think? If i put any kind of moisturizer on my face it would be oily in 15 minutes and stay oily for the rest of the day. In my hay day I was an oil making machine, and would use cleansers 3 times a day and still be very oily. I was a god in producing oil.

Flaky skin is also associated with dry skin, which I would think you have. If you've been diagnosed by a derm, have you gotten a second opinion?

Thanks for the replies guys

I actually missed this out before but I was a combination of oily and dry/flaky etc until I was 18, when I went of Roaccutane for 4 months. Ever since I went on this treatment the dry symptoms described above have become uncontrollable. I am certain that Roaccutane has played a big role in why my face is so dry. I mean my lips need to be vaselined 3 times a day because they get so dry, but at least the vaseline works, unlike anything for my face.

In the last month I tried apple cider vinegar, and a mixture of acv with water and dandruff shampoo, but it didnt work - just made my face redder.

My next attempt now will be to buy all of the following products...Goat Milk (Vit D), Organic Olive Oil, Aloe Vera Gel, Vitamin E Oil, Calendula Flowers (Organic), Sweet Almond Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Borage Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Shea Butter...mix them together and see what happens.

Don't know is anyone thinks this is a good or bad idea?

I literally have tried everything, and there is no point me going back to a dermatologist as I have been to a number, and none have helped me. So I may as well give this a try.

Default Have you considered

Quote Originally Posted by since2000 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys

I actually missed this out before but I was a combination of oily and dry/flaky etc until I was 18, when I went of Roaccutane for 4 months. Ever since I went on this treatment the dry symptoms described above have become uncontrollable. I am certain that Roaccutane has played a big role in why my face is so dry. I mean my lips need to be vaselined 3 times a day because they get so dry, but at least the vaseline works, unlike anything for my face.

In the last month I tried apple cider vinegar, and a mixture of acv with water and dandruff shampoo, but it didnt work - just made my face redder.

My next attempt now will be to buy all of the following products...Goat Milk (Vit D), Organic Olive Oil, Aloe Vera Gel, Vitamin E Oil, Calendula Flowers (Organic), Sweet Almond Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Borage Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Shea Butter...mix them together and see what happens.

Don't know is anyone thinks this is a good or bad idea?

I literally have tried everything, and there is no point me going back to a dermatologist as I have been to a number, and none have helped me. So I may as well give this a try.
    Although low dose accutane has been used with success in treating seb derm, higher doses have been associated with aggravating it or causing flares.

Have you considered using a mild topical steroid like hydrocortisone cream to knock back the inflammation and then finding something to maintain it? The problem to me appears to be that while symptomatic you may have ahard time finding anything that makes it look better.

As I understand the general consensus, moisturizing while you have seb derm is fine, but try to avoid moisturizers heavy in oils as it can tend to aggravate seb derm.

I have had Rosacea with a seb derm overlap for years and use hydrocortisone to manage my seb derm and it has not negatively impacted my Rosacea at all. Overtime my seb derm has improved a great deal and I have had periods of remission as well. Regardless, I use a daily moisturizer - Toleriane by La Roche Posay and it helps maintain the results by ensuring that my skin doesn't dry out from the heat and sun in the summer or the cold and wind in the winter. When your skin dries out the barrier is compromised and dermatitis like seb derm can flare (as can Rosacea).
    "Get busy living or get busy dying."

Hi guys, this is my first post.

Diagnosed with Seb Derm approx. 6 months ago. To be fair I should have had it looked at much sooner.

I've been prescribed a hydrocortisone cream but I'm wary of using it. I'm currently using Cetaphil for cleaning and a non-com moisturiser. I was told to wash and moisurize twice daily but this just seems to make it worse. Currently just wash / pat dry with water AM and wash and moisturize in the evening.

J-Mill, what is your current routine as I think I will start to apply the HC cream due to the lack of success I'm currently having.

Thanks!

Default routine

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_T View Post
    Hi guys, this is my first post.

Diagnosed with Seb Derm approx. 6 months ago. To be fair I should have had it looked at much sooner.

I've been prescribed a hydrocortisone cream but I'm wary of using it. I'm currently using Cetaphil for cleaning and a non-com moisturiser. I was told to wash and moisurize twice daily but this just seems to make it worse. Currently just wash / pat dry with water AM and wash and moisturize in the evening.

J-Mill, what is your current routine as I think I will start to apply the HC cream due to the lack of success I'm currently having.

Thanks!
    When I flare I use it 2x a day until the flare is gone (usually one week). Then I taper off by using it the next week once a day, and then apply it a couple times only the following week. Once the flare is done and you taper off, a good skin care regime does help with the flares.
    "Get busy living or get busy dying."