Thread: Seborrheic Dermatitis and hair loss

Default Seborrheic Dermatitis and hair loss

hi everyone, I've been having a bit of a breakout of dermatitis lately and it's mainly on my lower right cheek area. It's been sensitive and red for a couple of weeks (seeing the derm in 2 weeks thank goodness...first time i've been to one)
    Since it's been red i've noticed facial hair doesn't seem to be growing in that area or is very sparse. The other cheek is fine. Does dermatitis cause hair to stop growing on the face and scalp?
    My scalp is thinning a bit and i have a balding area on the crown that's been there for a few years (it's not male pattern baldness as my hair isn't receding at all and hair hair was always ultra thick as a teenager) Could dermatitis be the culprit? And if i get it treated and keep it under control would the hair start growing back or is hairloss due to seb derm not reversible?

thanks, mark

Retired Moderator

Mark,
    Uhhh, I don't want to be the one to break it to you, but balding on the crown is a definitive sign of Male Pattern Baldness and hair thickness as a teen means nothing. There are two basic directions the hair goes- meaning leaves. Receding or crown balding- or a combination.

Anyway, in answer to your specific question, seb derm, or dandruff is an inflammatory condition that is not particularly healthy for your hair. But, generally speakin, MPB is due to the affect of testosterone (or more specifically DHT) on the hair.

There is some scientific evidence that Nizoral shampoo which is a Dandruff shampoo, may have a modest beneficial effect with regard to MPB. Anyway, that info is also contained in this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldness

Rob

ok, what about the facial hair though? why would hair not be growing on the patch of it i have at the moment?

thanks

Retired Moderator

Sorry but my past research is just from my own insane obsession over any possible MPB for me! So far it is just a little thin spot on the crown, but I remain vigilant!

I remember reading about dandruff/seb derm of scalp and I seem to remember that if the plaque gets thick enough it can cause hairloss.

Sorry, didn't do more reading at the time. Someone else will likely have better info.

Rob

cool man..yeah gotta hate that crown area!!! grrr. Would love to thicken it back up

Retired Moderator

Well, from what I read, and thank god the problem isn't bad yet, Rogaine (or the generic minoxidil) works very well on the crown. So, the good news is that if you don't have a receeding hairline, it is actually very successful. Rogaine is not good at fixing a receeding hairline, but is very good at the crown.

Sorry I couldn't help more on the face/seb derm hair. You might try PM'ing J-mill. He is a wealth of good information.

Rob

do you have to keep applying it forever though? Also does it make the hair grease-a-fied and wet looking?

Retired Moderator

Yes and no.

Don't quote me on this as I haven't read it in awhile but this is my understanding from what I remember.

MPB is caused by the action of DHT (a derivative of testosterone) on the hair follicle. Some men (and women) are more sensitive to it and will therefore lose hair, some not. The hair follicle goes through normal cycles and each time the hair shaft itself gets thinner and thinner. To one degree or another, all people are sensitive to it. About the same percentage of people have MPB as their age. Therfore, at 40, 40% of men will have some degree of hair loss. At 50, 50% and so on. So, eventually almost all men go bald if they were to live long enough. It's just that some are much more sensitive and it starts at a younger age.

The rogaine (active ingredient minoxidil) simply counteracts the effects of DHT on the hair shaft. It is a temporary affect. Their is also a pill called Propecia that has a similar affect. The affect is only achieved as long as you are using either product and will take some time before you see results. I can't remember but want to say around 3 months.

Once the product is discontinued, the hair will relatively rapidly return to what it would have been had you never used anything. I.E.- you will lose any hair you gained, and any the minoxidil saved. Minoxidil is also supposedly very helpful in preventing any future loss/thinning- but again, only as long as you use it and primarily in the crown area, not as well in the forehead region.

As for the oily question, I have no idea. Supposedly not per the adverts, but since I have never used any, I can't honestly say.

Sorry, I don't know all that much. I just read all this over the course of a day when my wife told me for the first time I was a little thinner on top than when we first met! Damn her! I blame her for any loss anyway. I contend that after 10 years of living with her, a lesser man would not only be completely bald but dead as well.

Rob

I have done some reading now on seb derm and it is known to cause hair loss. I have had a return of my dandruff in the past few months and this kind of eczema type thing I get in the nape of the neck. My hair has been coming out in handfulls especially when I comb it and has become quite thin and out of condition again. My Mum said it was just all the stress I have been under recently. I bought some cold tar shampoo but it burnt my head and a bit got on my face which burnt like mad so I got some good old fashioned Head and Shoulders, (Smooth and Silky, gosh they have come on a lot from the old days), and it is doing a reasonably good job at keeping the flaking down, but takes regular use, and has killed the itch on the most part and my hair is no longer coming out in handfulls. I noticed when I was buying it there where many shampoos in the section dedicated to controlling seb derm and associated hair loss, some where quite expensive though.

I know now that I get this on the face sometimes, particularly the forehead and eyebrows and in the creases at either side of the nose. I have never figured out why sometimes my eyebrows seem to go awefully thin and sometimes a bit seems to disappear and then they grow out again. I guess if it can cause hair loss on the head it can cause it on the face as well, wish it would effect my upper lip area