Thread: Diet and Lifestyle Resources

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Diet and Lifestyle Resources

This is a handy link for dealing with issues such as flushing during exercise, staying cool in the kitchen,etc:
    http://www.skincarephysicians.com/ro...eflareups.html

Default women and rosacea

http://www.rosacea.org/rr/2008/winter/article_2.php

Women May Need Added Therapy

Rosacea can be a trying condition under the best of circumstances, but it can be particularly vexing to women during menopause and even their monthly cycle.
    Many women report more flushing episodes and increased numbers of bumps and pimples during these times, according to Dr. Wilma Bergfeld, head of the clinical research section of the dermatology department at Cleveland Clinic and former president of the American Academy of Dermatology.
    "There is no research regarding hormones and their effect on rosacea," Dr. Bergfeld said. "However, it has been widely observed that rosacea is often aggravated at menopause and sometimes during mid-cycle." She noted that by treating the underlying hormonal fluctuations, the physician may in effect be treating the rosacea as well.
    Hot flashes, for example, commonly trigger flushing in women going through menopause. Dr. Bergfeld said gynecologists now have a number of options for treating this condition, including hormone replacement therapy, and that she also often prescribes antihistamines.
    "Using an antihistamine may be very helpful because it is basically an anti-inflammatory medication," she said. "If you can reduce the beginnings of the flush, you can reduce its severity."
    She added that antidepressants may be used to treat the emotional effects of menopause, which in turn may reduce the potential for stress-induced rosacea flare-ups.
    Women who experience rosacea flare-ups from emotional stress associated with premenstrual syndrome (PMS) may also benefit from medical therapy, according to Dr. Bergfeld. "During the third week of the cycle, estrogen plummets," she explained, noting that patients are usually referred to a gynecologist for treatment of this condition. "For some cases low-estrogen birth control pills may be prescribed to help flatten out the hormonal levels."

Patients may also be advised to chart their symptoms on a calendar and use a diuretic the week before they normally would see the onset of premenstrual symptoms. Pregnancy poses a more difficult dilemma for doctors treating rosacea because "so many medications are off limits," Dr. Bergfeld said. Often, she will recommend that the patient use an anti-dandruff shampoo containing zinc because the zinc acts as both an anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial agent but does not penetrate the skin barrier.
    Studies have found that rosacea is diagnosed three times as often in women, although it is often more severe in men. Dr. Bergfeld said there may be a variety of reasons why more women seek treatment. She noted that women may be more concerned about their facial appearance, while mild cases of rosacea may not be as noticeable in men. "A dark beard can hide a multitude of things," she said.

Family history and personal history of sunburn and rosacea:
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=98424

Red face Take care of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by phlika29 View Post
    This is a handy link for dealing with issues such as flushing during exercise, staying cool in the kitchen,etc:
    http://www.skincarephysicians.com/ro...eflareups.html
    I am glad to see someone finally look at Rosacea with a realistic view. All medications are only a temporary fix. Rosacea has come upon me as a approach menapause. I suffered 4 miscarriages during my child bearing years and now suffer with a hormone balance that not one doctor wants to help with. Being that I have no health Insurance is probably the reason. My mother had hormone therapy and did not get cancer, but I am left to suffer.
    This is the biggest challenge of my life, I thank god for my strong resolve, for the mood swings are unbearable.. I continue to exercise and eat good food, never did drink or smoke much so thats a plus. I have started using black cohosh extract being that it is natural I hope it works because lately I have had trouble sleeping. I would not wish this condition on anyone.

Post The Best 'you' that you can be!

Hello Smart,

I am with you on the practical life-style changes; I am very wary of drugs, creams etc

(but do appreciate that they work for some).

I want to know WHY my skin has decided to rebel!

My skin was once beautiful & healthy & I HAVE to believe that my body has the capacity

to help it become so again.

I am sure that my miscarriage started my hormonal and stress-related skin problems,

so try as much as possible to relax, eat well and give my body what it needs to repair

itself.

I wasn't offered much in the way of drugs etc anyway (it seemed that the GP's knew so

little about rosacea that I was frightened of what thet would prescribe anyway!)

I wish you well on your journey to health.

Judworth
    SUFFER FROM NEUROPATHIC ROSACEA & OCULAR ROSACEA.

*Vit D3,Theratears Omega 3.

*LDN since October 2018.

*REN skincare range. TARTE cosmetics.

*Tried Clonidine, Moxonidine & Atenolol (None being taken at present ).

*Yearly IPL treatments until 2009.

* RLT Journey!" (Sept 09) **Using Britebox Revive..(Stopped ).

* Use Optimel & Ilast cream for MGD Ocular rosacea.

History of Hyperthyroidism (Graves) Lichen Planus (oral)
    PROUD TO BE DIFFERENT

Default Great

Hi Judworth!

I really like your approach to healing your rosacea by way of healing your whole body. I truly believe more and more that skin problems such as rosacea are more then just a singular problem..they, imo, are a result of an imbalance in the body as a whole and aswell as trying to control using drugs which are of huge benefit to many, maybe other areas of your life should also be worked on? Diet, stress, emotional problems etc all contibute to other conditions that occur. Trying to treat just the face with creams etc might not be addressing the REAL cause. Medication etc can play a part but I am going to start to treat my rosacea addressing my body as a whole. I will get a copy of 'Joy-Full'. I'm really into books like that and I think the more knowledge you can get that are more 'natural' approaches to healing the better as filling your body with chemicals in some cases could be doing more harm than good. That's just what I think. Good Luck to you, and everyone. This forum is brill! xx
    Last edited by squirrelgirl6; 11th August 2009 at 03:11 PM.

Thumbs up

Hello Squirrel Girl!

Oh! do get the book, (I stumbled across it whilst at a very low ebb....I guess you have to
    sink low to bounce back up eh?).

On her website you can hear parts of her cd's.............I just identify with her approach.

Stress induces my flushing, as does almost every other emotion, but I am learning to treat
    myself gently and know that the pain will cease and that my body is equipped with it's
    own healing mechanism.

Please let me know what you think of the book.

Hugs Judworth
    SUFFER FROM NEUROPATHIC ROSACEA & OCULAR ROSACEA.

*Vit D3,Theratears Omega 3.

*LDN since October 2018.

*REN skincare range. TARTE cosmetics.

*Tried Clonidine, Moxonidine & Atenolol (None being taken at present ).

*Yearly IPL treatments until 2009.

* RLT Journey!" (Sept 09) **Using Britebox Revive..(Stopped ).

* Use Optimel & Ilast cream for MGD Ocular rosacea.

History of Hyperthyroidism (Graves) Lichen Planus (oral)
    PROUD TO BE DIFFERENT

Talking Hi

Judworth, thanks for the friend request. I have just ordered the book from my local library and of course, will let you know what I think. You certainly do have to go very low before you can start to climb back up. The wounded deer leaps highest! Nice to know you.
    Hugz back. SG6 x