Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: make-up

Default make-up

I'm new here. Hi.
    I'm having the worst rosacea symptoms I've ever had right now. I'm not sure if something specific is setting it off, or what, but I've never been so red, itchy, hot or general uncomfortable.

Anyway, I'm getting married in 2 months and because it's so bad right now I'm worried about how my skin will tolerate make-up. I don't wear any on a regular basis and I'm having my make-up done by a professional that day. Can anyone give me some specific tips on application or brands that might help my make-up artist?

It might be that the general stress of sorting out your marriage might be upsetting your skin.

Could you perhaps describe what your looks and feels like some more? Where is the redness? Do you flush? Are you using any medications? What are you currently using on your skin (creams, face wash)?

Best wishes

Sarah

Thanks Sarah. My dermatologist gave me metrogel. I have done doxycycline in the past and it was great, this most recent time I didn't see much difference so I stopped.

My face is dry, really flaky even though my forehead is oily. Washing my face makes it HURT. So I'm only washing maybe every other day. I'm using a creamier version of cetaphil, I forget the name. I'm using eucerin face moisturizer with spf (this is a recent change) and sometimes a night cream (during the day). I flush and my skin is HOT all the time. My ears too.

I wonder whether you also have some seb derm. Hot, itchy,dry but greasy skin especially on the forehead can be a sign of seb derm and this can go hand in hand with rosacea.

http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/sebo...ermatitis.html

I am having a seb derm issue at the moment and I would say that it has increased my flushing by at least 50%. I wonder if this is the case then some of those creams may not be for the best.

Like rosacea there are many treatments and I am sure we can find something to help you (whatever the issue) before your wedding day. We need to try to treat the issue before we find a good make up for you though.

For me the best thing I did was to stop using any cream/face wash and just splash my face morning and night with water and leave it bare. The oils in the creams can make things worse.

Mind you I am only guessing from your description. Do you think it looks like any of those photos?

I think (obviously this is all guesswork, in lieu of more description) the combination of flaky skin (in one area) and oiliness indicates that your skin is inflamed. The flakiness occurs because the skin can't quite form properly; the oiliness occurs as the skin's natural reaction to this problem - it pumps out oil to protect itself.
    The inflammation is just your rosacea. So, anything that dampens that down, should reduce the oiliness and flakiness. That would be what the metrogel would do.

Metrogel can take a number of months to kick in. You could try a different antibiotic, since Doxycycline, according to some users, also takes rather a long time to get started (you don't say how long you were on it this time round). There are other options as well - look through the boards, and discuss with your GP/Derm.

Don't know about good make-up brands. But a primer will help contain oil and neutralize flakes. But I guess a makeup artist would use primer anyway.

Default thanks

Thanks. I called me dermatologist and asked her to see me ASAP. I'm so frustrated with this whole situation because I feel like when I go to see her there's never an answer, just baby steps, and so little follow-up. I'm going to give it another shot and hopefully with things being so bad, she'll be able to get a good look at what's wrong.

this might be interesting for you, because this make up powder seems to be made especially for people with rosacea:

http://www.clinique.com/

Default clinique powder

Barbara I did try the new Clinique for redness. It only made me more red. But I have extremely sensitive skin. Not many things I can use. Hope it works for you.

Hi alynotfromcali,

I have success with Lancome's Teint Idol Ultra. The coverage is good but not a complete 'blockout', even though it says it is full coverage. When my skin was quite 'combination' it worked well for both oily and dry flakey areas as it is oil free but also feels comfortable on, like just wearing a tinted moisturiser but with more coverage. I also find the finish quite forgiving on maturer skin for a liquid foundation, dosen't fall and cake into every 'nook and cranny'. Does need to be set with a little powder to get the long stay wear. I use Clarins compact powder as it is so ultra fine it doesn't fall into all the 'cracks' and doesn't make any flakey bits look even more dry and flakey.

It has the added bonus of coming off quite easily without having to over rub your skin, unlike some other of the fuller coverage long wear makeups I have tried.

I started using this when my skin was very hypersensitive and had trouble coping with anything being put on it but if you go to the counters of various brands in a store they will usually give you samples to try at home as it is always best to do a test drive on these things before taking the full plunge and forking out the cash for a full bottle and finding out you can't use it.

Good luck in finding something that will work for you on your big day and try to relax and enjoy it. Although they say getting married is the second most stressful thing you will do in your life, next to buying a house

PS. Make up artists tend to always apply with a brush. When my skin is 'flarey' and feeling hot and/or hypersensitive the one thing it will not tolerate is a make-up brush touching it, it will go absolutely bonkers with itch and take ages to settle down aftrewards. I 'dab' it on with my fingertips and just roll on powder with a soft makup sponge.

If your skin is feeling hypersensitive on the day it might be a good idea to bring this possible issue up with your artist.