Thread: any other options...?

Default any other options...?

Hi, I'm wondering if there are any options out there for ocular rosacea that I havent tried yet?

I have had MAJOR problems with my eyes for about 2 years now and have followed my DR's advice but havent had any relief. I feel I have a great DR but he is running out of ideas.

Syptoms: gritty, dry, watery, burning eyes. Red lid margins, corners of eyes red, sometimes bloodshot.

Diagnosis: MGD

Treatments: Oracea (2 years+), Occusoft lid scrubs (daily), Azasite (6 weeks), Preservative free drops (8-10x day), Lotemax steroids (3 weeks) and (pulse), Restasis (2x daily the last 5 months) Barleans Flax Seed Oil, Fish Oil (2 tablespons a day, switch back and forth for last 6 months)

Anyone have anymore ideas. I could really use some relief and would love to come out from behind my tinted glasses...

THANKS
    take care,

John

Hi John,
    Sorry that you are still in a lot of discomfort.
    Have you tried lid massages? Many find them very helpful with this problem.
    It is critical to do them with MGD to unclog the lid glands.

http://www.contactlens.org.nz/extra1.aspx

http://www.agingeye.net/otheragingeye/blepharitis.php

The link I really love is down at the moment unfortunately but I will link it here because hopefully it will be back up by tomorrow.

http://www.dryeyezone.com/encyclopedia/mgd.html

Best wishes,
    Melissa

I got relief from my occular rosacea when I got my facial flushing under control. It took Clonidine and Remeron to stop the facial flushing, but when I did, my eyes improved considerably. I've had occular rosacea for years now, in fact it was diagnosed before my facial rosacea was, and I know where you're coming from, it's frustrating and it hurts. I hope this helps.

WC,
    I haven't had a bad flush for a couple months because I have cut out so many triggers. However, I do have almost constant low grade burning sensations..Would Clonodine and Remeron help with that? Can you provide a starting dosage that I could run by my DR? Thanks..

Melissa,

Thanks again. I will add the massages while I'm doing my lid hygiene.
    take care,

John

Default You're welcome John :)

My fingers are crossed for you that the lid massages will do the trick.

http://www.dryeyezone.com/encyclopedia/lidtherapy.html
    Example #1: The index finger is rolled up the lower lid to the lid margin. Pressure is applied inwards as the finger is rolled up to express the secretion from the gland. Lid massage should be done 20 to 30 times on each eye. There are 23 glands in each eye, running upwards to the lid margin, behind the eyelashes. Ensure that you do 3 rolls to cover the entire lower lid and all of the glands. Research has shown that as few as 2 glands blocked can have a detrimental effect on tear film performance. Think of your finger being like a steam roller. Pressure must be kept in against the eyeball to keep the gland blocked as your finger rolls up the lid and the fluid inside is pushed out.
    Example #2: Pinch the lower eyelids between thumb and forefinger to express the meibomian glands and bathe the eyes with saline solution to remove excess material. Squeezing the upper lids is not advised
    Example #3: Take a Q-tip and gently but firmly roll it from a position about 1/4 inch below the eyelid upwards until you reach the lash line. Repeat this for different positions on the lower lid.
    Best wishes,
    Melissa