Thread: Flushing/exercise

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Flushing/exercise

Ok, I am a big old fattie and I need to get my butt moving. My problem is that when I go to the gym and work out, I get really flushed and then flare up. I NEED to work out, but not sure what to do to keep from having my face get worse. any suggestions would be very helpful. I am seeing my derm next week so if you have any specific things that worked for you I would like to know so I can talk them over with him.

Hi Merry and welcome
    There is lots you can do.
    First off try and keep air circulating as if it is too stuffy a flush is much easier to occur. I workout on a treadmill at home and so can control the temp that way.

Keep hydrated and drink cool water throughout the session as that should help. You can also keep a water mister about and spray your face to keep cool as you are working out.

There are certain activities you may be able to do without flushing such as fast walking, cycling etc The key is not to push yourself too much especially in the beginning.

I find working out actually helps my skin look better.
    For me it is key to keep cool air circulating as I am exercising as that prevents me from flushing.

There are lots of threads on this very topic.
    Here are the results of a search that you may find helpful.

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...hlight=workout

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Default hey

even if u bring on a heavy flush while exercising dont worry its not going to make ur skin worse,

U will start to fell more heather with more exercise which will make u fell better,

Age old thing fell better look better,

Good luck with the exercising,

I think the key is cool air that is moving, but at the gym, you'll rarely find a fan or air duct pointed where you need it. Sometimes the air is cool but stagnant, and I find that still air (plus cardio) causes a flush almost as badly as hot air. I do better outside, even in the sun, cycling between running and brisk walking - because the air is moving past. Doing it at night is better, of course.

I have to disagree on flushing during exercise not making your skin worse - at least in my case, it's one of the worst triggers there is. If I have a prolonged flush during cardio, my face takes at least a week to recover.

1,000mg Solgar MSM
    25mg diphenhydramine
    Rosacea Care moisturizer, tinted ZincO
    I avoid multi-vitamins and most other high-dose vitamins and supplements, oil-based supplements (like omega 3/6, A, and E), nitrite preservatives, sugar, fruit, milk, exercising in a warm room

Less is more!

I totally agree with you Driven regarding that cool air circulating is necessary to prevent a flush while exercising

Also, when we are away and I workout at the hotel gym it does take my skin a long time to recover from those workouts since I inevitably flush due to the stagnant warm air. So I agree with you on your second point as well.

Even when we run/cycle outside in the warm weather it is preferable to the gym as you are right. The air circulating is a big help.

Default hey

Merry try not to worry about the flush

A Lot of rosacens stay clear of exercise because of the fear of flushing,

Exercise can play a key role in helping ur rosacea, start small go for a short walk see how much u can handle before u think a flush is coming on

Its a very good tip work out later at night the cool breeze of out side is very comforting

Avoid super warm environments,

If Ur like me its hard not to flush some times working out but dont let it put u off,