Thread: Will Your Moisturizer Give You Cancer?

Default Will Your Moisturizer Give You Cancer?

Well maybe - if you are a hairless mouse living in a lab at Rutgers University

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Story?id=5575463&page=1

Default Concern over recent study

I tried to find out more info on the problem ingredients and an article mentioned mineral oil and sodium laurel sulfate. This was not an authoritative article and perhaps was just someone's speculation. Yet, I am not surprised and think that my overly sensitive skin has reacted to these problematic ingredients---whatever they are... Was anyone here able to find out what the ingredients are that are supposedly the culprits???
    My skin does not like the standard supposedly easier to take moisturizers such as vani cream or cetaphil-- when you look at these there are alot of chemical stuff in them.
    Does anyone know of something just simple as a moisturizer---
    only a few ingredients
    ingredients you can pronounce
    and ingredients that your grandmother would have been familiar with--
    I have heard that these few questions are good questions to go into the grocery store with when you look at items to buy---things that will be safe for us to ingest--and not some new food-like substance that is dangerous to our health.I would think the same questions should apply to what we put on our body.
    So---does anyone have any ideas as to a moisturizer for us rosacea people that would fit this bill?????
    Last edited by roz; 16th August 2008 at 10:40 PM.

Don't know how much credence you can give just one study
    but they did point out when removing SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate)
    the cancer rates dropped significantly.

Just from a skin irritant point of view though finding something a without SLS is good idea
    for an SLS-free shampoo somebody once mentioned Cliniderm by Neostrata

Default Moisturizers

It is true that you can't just single out one article--but from what I have read over the years SLS has always been singled out by organic oriented people as something to avoid. It is funny that sometimes it takes mainstream medicine and research so long to catch onto what the alt. med. people and more organic types seem to know . I believe both trad. and alt. med can work together beautifully .
    At this point, I am more listening to my skin and how it reacts--and it has never liked cetaphil, eucerin , vanicream etc.
    But how to find the simple solution--I did look at Linda Sy's products and was somewhat disappointed that there was alot of stuff in those products.
    I really am hoping to find something simple.

Default Clindaderm

Quote Originally Posted by man_from_mars View Post
    Don't know how much credence you can give just one study
    but they did point out when removing SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate)
    the cancer rates dropped significantly.

Just from a skin irritant point of view though finding something a without SLS is good idea
    for an SLS-free shampoo somebody once mentioned Cliniderm by Neostrata
    Yeah that was me, it is excellent stuff, it is also dye free.

Interesting to me that J&J baby shampoo has both a dye and tons of fragrance, two well known skin irritants. Fact is that most cosmetics companies rely on people being ignornat about skin irritants and just want their stuff to look and smell pretty so people will buy it.

As for the study respecting a possible link between skin cancer and moisturizer, the study did nothing but raise a question to be looked at. there is no evidence of any link currently.
    "Get busy living or get busy dying."

One good thing about seb derm is the built-in offshore sebum oil production facility

I never need to use moisturizer cause 5 minutes out of the shower
    and the mass production starts up

Retired Moderator

Al,
    Misery loves company. I thought the oil producing status was just my fun times. You get 5 minutes after a shower? Lucky you. I think I can see the sheen start up as fast as I dry off.
    Rob

Well-of course these studies raise more questions than answered but.....if we can avoid irritants all the better.
    I too was amazed when I went through a phase a few years ago thinking that maybe if I looked at the baby products that they wouldn't have all the irritants in them but noooo-it's all there too.
    The earlier poster was dead on--the product is just supposed to lure us in with its packaging , consistency and smell.
    And, while a few may be lucky and not have to moisturize, lucky folks--I am parched. I also have sjogren's an autoimmune disease and you get very dry. So the rosacea and the sjogren's are a tough combo.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Mill View Post
    Yeah that was me, it is excellent stuff, it is also dye free.

Interesting to me that J&J baby shampoo has both a dye and tons of fragrance, two well known skin irritants. Fact is that most cosmetics companies rely on people being ignornat about skin irritants and just want their stuff to look and smell pretty so people will buy it.

As for the study respecting a possible link between skin cancer and moisturizer, the study did nothing but raise a question to be looked at. there is no evidence of any link currently.
    You must have your own "Deep Throat" inside source JMill ...

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/gree...ts_tainte.html

There is a good book called the Safe Shopper Bible that warms you which products/ ingredients are thought to harmful and which ones aren't:

http://www.preventcancer.com/press/books/ssb.htm

my copy is about 10 years old though so hopefully they have updated it since then