Thread: Swollen eyelids

Default Swollen eyelids

Hi,

Have had rosacea for many, many years. Mostly under control. My eyelids are not red or itchy, but I have noticed that in the corner near my nose the skin is getting - how do I describe it- rougher/thicker? and they are getting puffy/swollen and it does not go away. Do you think this is rosacea related? and if it is, would my derm or my eye doc deal with it? My eyesite has been getting worse, but I think that is just age related

Any help would be appreciated.

Swelling could be a symptom of many different conditions.

Allergies, blepharitis, underactive thyroid, overactive thyroid, kidney problems, lack of sleep, certain medications, etc. can all cause eyelid swelling. But if it was allergies you would most likely experience itching and if it was bleph you would have crusting at the lid margins in the AM.

Do you have any other symptoms along with the eyelid swelling?
    Is the swelling mild or is it getting worse?

It would be a good idea to get a doctor to check it out and maybe a blood test to make sure everything is OK.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

ps have you tried cool compresses or those cool eye gel packs that you keep in the fridge? That can help lid swelling.

Also if you get too much sodium in your diet that could contribute to increased swelling.

Well, I have an underactive thyroid but that is being treated. Only allergy is to dust mites - and my ENT and his allergist didn't mention the eyes - they don't itch and aren't red at all.
    It's not really a swelling per say - maybe that was the wrong choice of words but in the inner corner they are very "puffy" and it looks like I am half asleep all the time.

It is impossible to diagnose from a description or even picture. If you are concerned you should get it checked out.

It could be fluid retention, dehydration lack of sleep.
    Drink more water, have less salt (sodium) and get more sleep and see if that helps.

Also cool compresses/ gel packs might help as I already mentioned or cool cucumber slices.

Alcohol and smoking can also cause puffy eyes iindirectly so if you do these you may want to reduce intake or stop to see if that helps.

Melissa

Hi,

I get eyelid swelling as well and I am hypothyroid. My endocrinologist has said that it's very possible that it is thyroid related not rosacea as it primarily appears in the morning for me and gets better through the day. Thyroid symptoms can include puffy face and eye lids especially in the morning (even when treated with levothyroxin or whatever you take). Sleeping elevated helps some, cold compresses help when I wake up, exercise seems to help some and most recently I am trying quercitin/bromelain combo - not sure about that yet. I also have extremely dry eyes - again not sure if it's thyroid or ocular rosacea. Hard to know which disorder is causing this - but I treat it as both. I also do lid scrubs and take 40mg Doxy and I am now taking restasis for dry eye. The combination of everything helps. My lid swelling is definitely better and the dry eye is also better. Good luck!

Thanks - I have an appt with my derm the end of this month - will ask him about this. Then guess I need to see my GP - I think I may ask her to refer me to an endo - my friend sees one for her thyroid problems and is happy with her - so I may give it a try.