Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Pyratine-XR

Yeah I only use the benzoyl on my jawline and neck, as that's where most of the breakouts are located. The accutane i took as a teenager cleared up my face extremely well, but the neck still has problems. It's only the 2.5% benzoyl preparation, but seems to keep it under control.

I think I might go back on it and see how I go. Perhaps, cleanse, benzoyl, then pyratine. The pyratine acts quite well as a moisturiser replacement I have found so that will help with the dryness the benzoyl brings on.

I'll try it out and report back. Thanks for your replies

Thanks for all the info for the Pyratine 6 and Pyratine XR. So I decided if I give it a try it will be the Pyratine XR.

Sunshine

Timcorb, thanks for pointing out the newer study. The paper commonly listed on the pyratine website is for the older study with respect to photodamaged skin and I did not realize they had a more current study directly related to rosacea.

To measure erythema, an investigator considered photographic images. I could not determine if the investigator had any financial ties to Senetek, was independent, or was the author himself. It would appear then that the measurment technique is completely subjective.

When photographed, there did not appear to be any consideration for time of day, seasonal effects, etc. Just from my experience, my redness changes dramatically depending on the time of day or if I had a high carb meal, etc.

Although I am sure it would be tricky to solve all the issues, I would think some of these items could be addressed. Is there really no better method to measuring redness than someone looking a snapshot of one point in the day and then subjectively grading this?

Maybe there isn't a better method readily available, I don't know. But it is hard for me to say the numbers are an accurate reflection, simply because I don't believe the measurement approach is capable of being accurate. I am not saying Pyratine works or doesn't, just that I don't think you can read too much into the numbers. This being the case, it is no surprise that the reported numbers don't seem to correlate with those presented on this forum.

Excellent points hozer. It'd be fantastic if there was more research in the works. We will just have to wait and see I suppose.

A couple things I would have considered:

- Why not do a split face trial? This would have eliminated or reduced many variables that could affect the results.

- How about multiple investigators. While this is still subjective, the data could be reported for each investigator's opinion.

- How about using software to gage the efficacy instead of the highly subjective approach they used?

The study is only as good as the measuring technique allows it to be and I think it was a failure in that respect. Could it also be that they knew full that by doing this approach they would be able to effectively skew the results in order to sell more product? Who knows? They could have come up with any number they wanted to and it would not be lying or illegal.

For example, if I were to do a study that attempted to gage beauty and I had an investigator judge the results, the results could be anything and it would not be wrong. I would just be reporting what I did, the methods I used, and the conclusion I came to. In a similar, but clearly not the same fashion, the "sloppy" approach (my opinion) taken here has allowed the authors to come to just about any conclusion they want. It is not reassuring that there is a financial tie to at least one of the studies.

In the end, these studies don't mean much to me.

You seem to have a very cynical view on this product for some reason. While everything you say may be true, this is one article. You can't expect perfect methodology the first time around. While their techniques to guage effectiveness were somewhat questionable, I still think the results have meaning. More studies would be fantastic, and i hope we'll be seeing more in the near future.

I've been using it for a week now and i'm extremely pleased with it. My skin is much smoother, not nearly as dry, and in my opinion redness has reduced slightly. That said, I think once i've used it for a longer period i will see better results.

I am rather cynical, but that is because their claims seem to be dramatically different than real users on rosacea forums.

I have tried my best to be unbiased (at least for the most part) in my review of the papers, and clear on when I interjected my opinion.

While I agree it is still early, I would also say ask the question of why report something in such a sloppy fashion? Personally, I would not do this unless financial gain was my major goal. Again, I want to be clear I can in no way say whether on the product works as they claim. But I do not think any of us should be reading anything in these numbers or expect them to be an accurate reflection of what we should expect.

But I am not the only one who has noted some "fishy" things about this product. Just look at the first couple of pages in this thread to get a feeling about it.

On page 2, J-Mill posts:

1. The stuff is ridiculously expensive
    2. It went "cosmetic" as to avoid having to conduct rigorous testing
    3. It's claims are yet to be approved by the FDA as far as I could find
    4. There are no 3rd party tests of this product, only in house research done by the company
    5. In the tests that were done the claim was that it was tested on people with mild to moderate rosacea, but the test data itself remains largely unpublished. Further: http://www.dermatology.uci.edu/IID%2...er%20final.pdf

Are you kidding me? If the two test subjects pictured are the best examples to sell this product then it appears to only work well for those with really, really, really mild Rosacea.

6. I havn't heard one good thing about Pyratine 6 from a real Rosacea sufferer, it is hard to imagine why this is going to be that much better
    7. Spamming Rosacea web boards for business suggests a $ grab
    8. I don't know why this plant derivative substance is significantly different from others that have been around for some time that claim to also be anti-inflammatory and effective on ROS.

At the time, I was really not impressed with Pyratine, but had not looked into the papers. After looking into them, and giving it a more critical eye, J-Mill's comments are in line with my observations. The fact that it works to some degree for some people is great. I do believe those are genuine posters, but especially with regard to erythema, it would seem that the product is not living up these studies.
    Last edited by hozer2k; 19th October 2009 at 02:02 AM.

There are 2 interesting compounds for rosacea in the future by 2 different companies. I do not see the point in my starting a thread for these compounds since they are more than 5 years away from being sold. There is hope even if Pyratine turns out to be a dud.

There are new clinical trials about to begin soon for Pyratine. I think they are doing a head-to-head comparison with other treatments like Metrogel.

Default A PyratineXR review

Apparently she does postings for the examiner.com

Just wondering if anyone else has seen results with the Pyratine? I am still debating the $150 price tag. That certainly is steep if it doesn't help with redness.

Thanks.