Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Pyratine-XR

If that is the case, then I am sorry and stand corrected. I thought it was something else as the practices of this company has raised some suspicions. Although regardless of that, those results do not seem to correlate with real users of this board.

I don't know if this has been talked about, but I pulled the paper:

McCullough JL, Garcia RL, Reece B. A clinical Study of Topical Pyratine-6 for Improving the Appearance of Photodamaged Skin. Journal of Drugs in Dermatology. 2008;2:131-135

My observations:

- This study was done to evaluate aging and as the title says "appearance of photodamaged skin". It really concentrated on wrinkled, surface roughness, hyperpigmentation, skin moisture.

- The only significant mention of erythema in the text body is to say "safety was further evaluated by assessments of skin irritation and erythema at 2, 4, 8, and 12 weeks.

- In the discussion, it says "an important finding is the significant reduction in erythema..."

- In the conclusion, it says "the encouraging results of this study warrant a multicenter, placebo-controlled clinical trial to further evaluate the clinical benefits of Pyratine 6". It also mentions reduction in erythema was found.

- Dr. McCullough, the primary author, is a consultant to Senetek, the makers of Pyratine-6.

- The method used to evaluate erythema was via photography. From what I can see, it does not say how they used the digital photographs to actually measure redness. Was this subjective? Perhaps I missed it and I will look closer, but I did not immediately catch the actual measurement approach.

So here are a few things I can see. This study, while apparently stumbling across perceived reduction in redness, only intended to measure redness as a means of evaluating safety. The objective of this study was not to evaluate erythema, but rather aging and appearance of photodamaged skin. This being the case, the measurement of erythema may not have been as exhaustive as if the erythema results were considered to be a primary objective. As many of us know, redness can change by time of day, week to week, difference in seasonal climate, etc. The statistical values are significant, but were the measurements really controlled to the level one might want if truly evaluating the erythema as a primary effect and not just for safety? To me, it is an interesting side effect of the study, but this was clearly never its intended nor was the study conducted as if it was. As the paper states, the study was for appearance of photodamaged skin and that further evaluation appears to be warranted.
    Last edited by hozer2k; 17th October 2009 at 01:21 AM.

Two more comments:

- All 6 of the referenced papers were in direct relation to photodamaged skin. There is no mention of erythema study in any of the papers. Whether or not the authors have studied the techniques to measure erythema or how familiar they are with erythema is not known, but what is known is that they did not reference a paper related to erythema.

- After reading it again, I still cannot find any mention of how erythema was actually scored. It says they took digital photographs, but absolutely no mention of what was done with these photographs. But I am quite tired and will have another look, perhaps someone else can chime in on this?

Anyway, this is quite interesting and I have to say I was quite skeptical of the results before, just based on my own usage and from what others have reported. After reading the paper, I am very skeptical as to its effect on erythema. The study never intended to investigate erythema and does not state how measurements were made. There is almost no mention of erythema in the body and the only comments are of what appears to be a possible side effect for a secondary factor that they suggest should be studied in a placebo controlled clinical trial.

Heck, it might be worth a try...I did. But is this really relevant research into the effect of erythema? You can be the judge of that, but clearly the authors never intended for it to be.

Pyratine 6 and PyratineXR are different concentrations of the same product. See the post on the previous page from the rep posted by Mistica. Below is the journal article relating to pyratineXR (increased concentration).

Topical PRK 124 (0.125%) lotion for improving the signs and symptoms of rosacea.

BACKGROUND: Current treatments for acne rosacea are often associated with unsatisfactory outcomes and adverse effects. OBJECTIVE: To determine the efficacy and tolerability of a new moisturizing lotion for improving the clinical signs and symptoms of mild-to-moderate acne rosacea. METHODS: In a 12-week, open-label study, a moisturizing lotion containing furfuryl tetrahydropyranyladenine as PRK124 (0.125%, Pyratine-XR, Senetek PLC, Napa, CA) was applied twice daily to subjects with mild-to-moderate rosacea. Improvement in the appearances of erythema and papules were assessed by the treating physician. Skin barrier function was measured by transepidmal water loss after treatment. Tolerability and cosmetic outcome were evaluated by patients. RESULTS: Twenty-one participants completed the study. Overall clinical improvement was observed in 80% of subjects, with most showing mild-to-moderate improvement. Erythema, papule counts, and telangiectasia were reduced. The reduction in TEWL was significant at weeks 4 (p = 0.01), 8 (p < 005), and 12 (p < 0.001). Rosacea symptoms (burning, stinging, dryness) were progressively reduced, with reduction in dryness achieving statistical significance at weeks 4 (p = 0.035), 8 (p = 0.037) and 12 (p = 0.016). Treatments were well tolerated and cosmetic outcomes were acceptable. Treatment-induced irritation was not observed. CONCLUSION: The new moisturizing lotion containing furfuryl tetrahydropyranyladenine as PRK124 shows a continued trend toward improvement of skin barrier function and the appearances of erythema and papules associated with mild-to-moderate rosacea during 12 weeks of treatment.

It's from May 2009. Type the title into pubmed for the original link, as i can't seem to get a hyperlink for it. If anyone wants the full article, I can e-mail it. Let me know.

edit: here it is

http://www.pyratinexr.com/assets/JDD...09%20Ortiz.pdf
    Last edited by timcorb; 17th October 2009 at 02:18 AM.

Hi Timcorb, welcome to the RF and thanks for the info.

If you don't mind I would appreciate it if you could tell us if you are affiliated with Senetek in any way? Please don't take offense but we do appreciate any posters who are affiliated with this company (or any other company that is selling products to rosaceans) to be above board with any connection they have with said company.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa W View Post
    Hi Timcorb, welcome to the RF and thanks for the info.

If you don't mind I would appreciate it if you could tell us if you are affiliated with Senetek in any way? Please don't take offense but we do appreciate any posters who are affiliated with this company (or any other company that is selling products to rosaceans) to be above board with any connection they have with said company.

Best wishes,
    Melissa
    Of course. I'm not at all affiliated with the company. I'm a 24 year old pharmacy student from Australia. if there's someway to prove my lack of affiliation i'd be glad to do it.

Thanks very much Timcorb. I appreciate you not taking offense.
    Good luck with your pharmacy studies.

Thanks melissa. Only 2 months left of semester and i'm done

As an interesting sidenote with my pyratineXR experience so far, I have broken out a little bit around my jawline. But i'm not sure if this is the pyratine, or the fact I stopped my b enzoyl peroxide cold turkey. I'm thinking it may be the latter. Hopefully it will subside soon. I'm not sure if using them both together would be wise? I'm no dermatologist.

Were you using the benzoyl peroxide for acne?
    If you can successfully use it without irritating your face I don't see any reason you can't continue to use it with the pyratine XR. Or at least use it fewer times a week but continue using it to keep your acne controlled.

Hi Timcorb,

Melissa makes a good point in that if your face was tolerating BP well, stopping may have brought on the few breakouts. Maybe you can use a light layer and put Pyratine on top? My skin is very breakout prone, and I still need to put Evoclin (clindamycin topical) on beforehand if I'm using Pyratine or another moisteriser.

Let us know how things go for you.

Yvette