Thread: Best Beta-Blocker or Drug for Exercise Induced Flushing

Default Best Beta-Blocker or Drug for Exercise Induced Flushing

What gives you the best relief from flushing during exercise? I'm looking to try Propanolol but I would like to get some info on what works best for exercise flushing. I flush b/c of other things too, but generally my flushing during exercise is the worst. Any feedback would be most appreciated.

I don't know much about beta blockers but I do know that propranolol can make you tired and slow down your heart rate so it may not be the best choice for exercising.

When I workout I find if I have a fan on circulating the air in the room that really helps me from flushing and in fact whenever I workout my skin looks better afterwards than before. Anyway, if you are flushing from being hot during your exercise sessions a fan or a/c might help. Beta blockers (as I understand it) are mainly helpful for anxiety induced flushing.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

I agree I dont think that a beta blocker is good for reducing a flush during exercise, it is likely to make it harder to get oxygen to your muscles. I would say that it is better to moderate the activity that you do and as missy said to use a fan.

Unfortunately, in hot or cold, I flush during exercise. I play hockey and I flush during that and i don't have a cage on my helmet either. Anyone else have any other experiences?

that's funny, I also find that my skin looks better after exercise than before.

I would guess that sympathetic flows play some part in the flush that attends exercising so beta-blockers may indeed lessen an exercise flush somewhat. But, as has already been pointed out, its not a great option since your capacity for, and enjoyment of, the activity will be considerably diminshed.

If you are playing competitively you are obliged to pitch up at a given time for your fixture but beyond that It might be an idea to train when you know you are going to flush anyhow. If you customarily flush in the early evening - f*** it - go for a run or whatever then.

Some suggest a baby aspirin (75-82mg) prior to exercise, to lessen the inflammatory response. I could not say whether this works.

GJ, i will give the aspirin a try. I have normally, said f*** it and just continued with exercising anyway. I already know whenever i do exercise I will flush. My face is changing from flushed to unflushed constantly throughout the day from the most minute stresses that it just makes it unmanageable. I hate the fact that beta-blockers zap some energy from your muscles but at this point im ready to take that sacrifice if it can help my constantly flushing face.