Thread: New to the group

Default New to the group

Hi everyone, I'm a 37 year old female who has had acne and rosacea beginning at around age 12. I went on accutane in 1995 for 9 months which cleared up my skin tremendously and stopped the oily skin. I would still break out and have rosacea after the accutane, but it was definitely much more manageable.
    Well last year I started getting a patch of pimples around my right jawline which itched and burned off and on. I went to the dermo and he gave me a sample of locoid - told me it was rosacea. I only used the steroid cream when it was unbearable. It went away somewhat through the summer. It flared up again in Sept and has been a nightmare ever since. Started also down my right side of my neck. I went to a different dermo in Oct who gave me Orecea 40mg and a lower dose sample of topcort (another steriod cream) which I only used in extreme pain. It seemed to be a little better until Jan. Now I have developed a burning ear on my right side and eczema down my neck and jawline and now developing on my left side. I went back to the dermo yesterday and she put me on Doryx 150mg and told me NO Steriod cream that my neck was aggravated by it ? Now she told me just to use over the counter hydrocortosone cream 1%. I told her I barely used it. She told me I have classic rosacea with eczema. I have changed by soap, my makeup, my diet, taking all the supplements recommended and for no apparent reason I will flare up. I have had a swollen lymph node on my right side by my ear since Sept. I tried a lymphatic drainage massage last week and didn't help, although it was relaxing. I even went to an allergist thinking I had a food allergy but it's just dustmites I'm allergic to. Needless to say, I'm very frustrated any advice would help on cleansers, and what people use for coverage when you have to put on makeup? Right now I'm using Oil of Olay sensitive skin face wash which seems ok.
    Also was wondering if anyone has had any luck with Doryx 150 mgs?
    Thanks! Sorry to be so lengthy -

Hi there, I'm not the most knowledgeable here but maybe I can help a little

First, I know it's frustrating, but just keep trying and going back to this most recent derm (she sounds like the only one who knows what they're doing to be honest). High potency steroid creams (anything over 1% OTC) are a major NO for people with rosacea. This could have aggravated your symptoms, and if it did it can take several months to go back to normal.

I've dealt with eczema all my life, so I know how that sucks. Stick with the 1% HC on your neck, and once it calms down a little, I'd recommend a product you can probably find in your local health food store (and sometimes Rite-Aid, Walgreens or your grocery store) called Florasone - it is a homeopathic cream that does not contain steroids, and will keep your eczema at bay without aggravating the rosacea. Calendula cream is also good for this.

I have no experience with Doryx, sorry. But oracea is great (though it sounds like you may want something higher dose til things calm down). Another thing I can advise: minocycline (mino-tabs, solodyn, etc) made my eczema the worst I have ever had it. It may be different for you, but I have read other people's negative reactions to it as well. Possibly the doryx may be aggravating your neck? I am not a doctor (obviously), but it may be something to consider if you've found your eczema to have worsened w/ introduction of Doryx.

Additionally, for skin care I recommend La Roche Posay products (can be found at the least expensive I've seen at Skin-Etc.com), particularly the Toleriane line. It seems people like Toleriane better than Rosaliac, which is LRP's rosacea line. Go figure.

For covering redness, there are many options, and you will have to experiment a bit. Some swear by Bare Minerals, others say it irritates. Some love a similar but bismuth-free or more finely milled mineral foundation (Jane Iredale, pur minerals, larenim, the list goes on) and some love tinted sunscreens (which is what I personally recommend, physical blocks to be precise) such as Tinted Zinco (which is discontinued but will be remade within a few months), Megan Gale Invisible Zinc, Purified Skincare Sun-Zinc, Clinique City Block, and many like Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer (though if that has SPF I don't know). Additionally, the powder foundations I mentioned all have some SPF (though I wouldn't rely on its efficacy to get you through a day outdoors).

That's all I know. Hope it helps some.

noa

PS oh and dermablend provides excellent coverage for redness as well.

Well I have not really heard of rosacea that only affects you neck and chin? or did I read that wrong. It sounds more like you are some form of dermatitis. Ofcourse I am not a doctor/derm and so am more than likely wrong. Do you flush at all?

Out of all the steroid creams I would imagine that the 1% is probably the best one to use over the longer term but as you have already been doing perhaps just keep it for those times you are having a flair.

With regards the management of your condition I am also a little woolly of the the use of antibiotics but I would recommend that you have a look at these links:

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...ad.php?t=17156

http://www.dermnet.org.nz/dermatitis/index.html

If it was just around your chin I would have thought that maybe it was perioral dermatitis

Or for more general rosacea info:

http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Best wishes

Sarah

Default New to the group

Thanks Noa and Sarah for all of your helpful information!

I do flush all the time on my face and chest. I think what I have on my neck is steroid induced rosacea, combined with regular rosacea everywhere else on my face. I have discontinued all steriod creams/hydrocorizone and just moisturizing for now. I will definitely check out the links and try the Florsone for sure.

Guess I will need to be patient : )

Also considering a Sciton BBL laser treatment also when things get under control.

Thanks again!
    Danielle

Hi-

I empathize with you. I get little pink itchy bumps on my neck/jawline/hairline and my doctor says I have folliculitis. It's caused by excessive yeas/oil production. A host of things can aggravate it - hair products, antibiotics (yes what can cure it can cause it), skincare, hormonal changes, stress, etc. I've taken probiotics for awhile now, helps a little, but what has helped me a bit more is taking anti-fungal vitamins - garlic, UGN, olive leaf, oil of oregano, caprilyic acid, etc. I take a few a day for a few weeks then rotate and take a different few for a few more weeks and so forth. I also put cleocin (clindamycin) lotion on it - but only seldom as it seems to be doing better. Not sure if you have any of these symptoms, but if you do, ask your Dr. if you have follicultis as well.

Good luck.

Regards,
    Yvette

Hi all. I'm new too to this forum. I definitely beleive that oracea is great. I haven't tried it but my cousin did and she told me that it works well with her by applying it regularly.

applying it? oracea is an oral antibiotic isnt it?

Default New to the Group

Yes, Oracea is oral doxycycline 40mg.