Thread: Petroleum Jelly after Vbeam Perfecta PDL

Default Petroleum Jelly after Vbeam Perfecta PDL

After my purpuric laser treatment, my dermatologist told me to use Petroleum jelly.

I haven't seen in google mentioning petroleum jelly in PDL treatment.

Will this have side effect, or it's OK to use Petroleum jelly while there's still purpura?

I guess your derm thinks that it will help keep the skin from drying out, after purpuric treatments you get little crusts on the areas that have turned black. Personally I wouldnt use it for it two reasons. Firstly I dont think many rosaceans would be able to tolerate this product and secondly I wouldnt introduce something new to your routine straight after laser.

I'm actually using it for a while now. No allergies so far.

What I'm actually worried is, will it hinder the efficacy of the laser treatment? I mean if I use petroleum jelly on the treated area, will it make the treatment less effective?

Hi -

The petroleum jelly will keep your skin hydrated while your skin is healing. I don't think it will do any harm if used very short term. It's quite emolient, so if your skin is oily and prone to breakouts or papules, I'd not use it more than a few days. You could do just as well with a soothing oil free lotion too.

What did you think of your vbeam treatment? Have you had vbeam before? Please keep us posted on your progress.

Take care.

Yvette

oh, just for clarification, i have a PWS not rosacea. I don't see any other forum related to PWS that is as active as this forum.

Anyway, i posted here because my question is only about if petroleum jelly will affect the efficacy of PDL. So my question applies to rosacea, too.

Okay that is not a problem but it is useful to know whether you have rosacea or not otherwise people will focus on the wrong thing. I see no reason why the jelly would inhibit the effectiveness of the pdl. Once the laser has hit the body just has to absorb the vessels and so as long as the it doesnt irritate the skin it should be fine.

After a purpuric Vbeam, you don't really need a moisturizer. Put on a 50+ (UVB) ULTRA (UVA) during the day and you should be fine.

If however your skin is very dry, just use the simplest of moisturizers. Be sure that no ingredients penetrate below the epidermis as this could stimulate angiogenesis. A good cream is Toleriane normal or riche.

P.S. What's good about sunscreens from quality brands (avoid American brands) like Vichy, Avene, etc. is that they are designed so as to the ingredients do not enter the dermis.
    Last edited by abraham51; 7th March 2009 at 05:34 AM.

OK. By the way, can you guide me in the proper way in using sunblock. I can't find any instruction on how to properly apply it, forgot to ask my doctor.

What I do is apply it in a pea-sized amount in my right cheek (treated area around 4 x 2 inches). The outcome will be whitish at first, which is noticeable, then gradually subsides (unnoticeable) in 10-15 minutes. Is my procedure correct?

Not sure you might be best asking in the topical section. Do you not just apply the sun cream to your whole face?