Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you accept your rosacea/redness/flush?

Default Do you accept your rosacea/redness/flush?

You live good or you are depressed? you live well or you are depressed? The eyes of others..etc.

Sorry for the double sentence.

Default You accept it?

I have to admit I really don't. When my skin looks good, I'm happy. When I cringe to look in the mirror, I'm sad. That's why I spend so much time and energy trying to keep my skin looking good. I wish I wasn't so worried about my appearance. Some people are really unconcerned about how they look...I know that overweight people who wear spandex get criticized but I always have an admiration for people like that.
    Queta
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

To be honest, NO.

I started being a happy kid, athlete, leader in my elementary school until mid year in my final year. Around that time i developed a prominent broken blood vessel on my face and a couple of pimples. A month later i had fairly prominent acne and frequent intense blushing. My acne was numerous small pimples and whiteheads. During this time i had the mindset 'it will pass soon' so i still kept my head up.

Throughout HS i developed my redness and extreme flushing from exercise that would swell my face and cause redness that engulfed my entire face, neck, and eventually most of my upper body. This along with now body acne, made me totally shun away from playing sports and also made me avoid people, who weren't my friends. I still do this today. So anyway, I still lived, and did well in school, had summer jobs, and skateboarded which didn't cause flushing for me b/c it isn't overly strenuous.

For about 6 months while using accutane i experienced extreme improvements in my skin and started to go partying and being a social person who was consistent and happy. I made a lot of new friends, re-hashed old friendships, got a gf, and let go of my comfort zone. It was the happiest time of my life minus my childhood.

Anyways, after 3 courses of accutane, and a battle and a half with acne, most of it went away. although i still break out on my body regularly but not as bad. Problem was, now my redness had become the main player in my skin issues. This was around 2005 when i first started college. Anyways since then my rosacea has steadily progressed to a pretty moderate case, with severe facial flushing to the point where picking up papers of the floor could cause a flush, or the littlest embarrassing thing, or a minor change in temperature, or certain types of heaters, or anything like dust causes a minor flush. Did i mention i now have seb derm.

So yes, it has certainly changed my life for the worse, and i by no means accept it. Sports/exercise by nature are my main passions in life and I cannot do them no without a major flush to the point where my face is pulsating amount of blood that piles up into my face.

Until, i find something to help reduce the amount of permanent facial redness i walk around with and help my flushing, I don't think i will ever accept it. I walk around today with high self-hate and a cynical view of life. It took my personality and my hunger to fight.

I can flush in all areas of my face - for instance, when embarrassed, I'll just flush in my cheeks. I don't mind this so much, since I've generally heard it described as 'cute' or simply funny. When hot or eating certain foods, I'll flush in my nose or even my whole face, which is decidedly unattractive on me. I also really dislike the visible capillaries. So, for the most part, no - I don't accept my Rosacea. However, there are times when it definitely could be (and has been) worse.

Edit: I also wanted to add that I really miss being able to exercise... Dancing especially! I can't imagine being able to exert myself in that way now.

I couldn't really accept my rosacea untreated. I just don't feel good when it is really bad. this is why I have spent thousands of pounds on treatments. Now I am looking quite normal and I am happy.
    dx early 2006.
    current stategy;
    finacea (on occasional spot), 20+ x IPL and 17+ low level PDL (n-light)

No. Every single day, no.

I live good and I am depressed. But as time passes, as I learned more about rosacea, I have come to accept the fact and have completely stopped worrying about what others might be thinking about me.

I feel like Queta does.
    When my face looks clear and flush/burn free I feel great.
    When my face looks awful I feel not so great but I have learned to accept it and I know that it will pass and my face will start looking better soon.

It is a cycle that I have learned to accept and manage and I do the best I can not to let it affect my enjoyment of life. What other choice do we have? And in the meantime we do all we can to control the rosacea symptoms as best we can but we don't have total control over that. The one thing we always have total control of is how we react to a flare. So while temporarily I might be cursing my flare I then try to go about my day not thinking about it and try not to let it control my happiness.

It always comes down to how you feel in general about yourself. Rosacea can make you feel temporarily bad but then if you have a good self image regardless of dealing with the awful rosacea symptoms you can be strong and live your life happily knowing that this is not going to get the better of you.
    Of course we all have times where we get down about it and angry/sad/frustrated but when that happens to me I allow myself to feel these emotions and then I move forward and work at feeling better. You have to be an active participant in making yourself feel better but I am also all for allowing yourself to feel whatever emotions you feel. It is never good to deny yourself your feelings. And as long as you are cognizant of that you can then talk yourself into feeling better about things.

It is more of a struggle sometimes than others but it is worth the effort for sure.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

I do not accept it... when my skin is good, I am good, but when my my skin is bad, which is now 99.9% of the time, I feel beyond terrible.