Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunlight

Default Sunlight

Hello,

I was wondering how you deal with sunlight. I am pretty sure that it is one of my biggest triggers, but then again I stress about it mostly and so maybe the stress itself is the trigger!

Right now I tend to avoid it as much as possible. I wear a daily moisturizer that has SPF in it, either 15 or 40, and when outside I always try to wear a big hat. But I am constantly stressed about avoiding the sun! It's really not fun...I find that I dread certain activities with people because I don't want to be outside. Same thing with riding buses, in cars, etc, I freak out if the sun is on my face!

How do you deal with the sun? Is wearing a sunblock enough and should I relax about being outside? If I keep reapplying sunblock, my skins gets all goopy and shiny and irritated! Aahhhh

Thanks!

Kara

Sunlight isnt as bad for you as you think. I made a thread on this page asking about tanning with rosacea and most of the replys said that it was absolutely horrible to go in the sun. But for the past few days, i have been going on my deck and laying in the sun for atleast 15-20 minutes a day and its been having a good affect on my skin. I havnt gotten any darker, but it seems like my skin is getting used to the heat. This helps me alot during the day because i hardly flush at all. I used to get hot really really easily and this would usually lead to flushing, and then eventually my face would be red for the whole day. But its like my skins internal temperature has gone down because its used to the heat from the sun and theirfore my skin stays nice and cool all day. I do not plan on ever gettting a sunburn because i know for a fact this would really trigger my rosacea, but laying in the sun for a few minutes a day with some light sunscreen on your trouble areas does a world of good if you ask me. Try it out, and if anything you are helping your body out by letting it get the VIT D it needs.

Quote Originally Posted by JacobGalvan View Post
    Sunlight isnt as bad for you as you think.
    Agreed. If you can't go out in the sun for even a few minutes without a terrible reaction, sunlight is not your problem - it's just aggravating an existing condition. Get the condition under control and you'll be able to go outside without a reaction.

(For most people. Some really do have a disease that makes it impossible to go out in the sun, but that is extremely rare.)

1,000mg Solgar MSM
    25mg diphenhydramine
    Rosacea Care moisturizer, tinted ZincO
    I avoid multi-vitamins and most other high-dose vitamins and supplements, oil-based supplements (like omega 3/6, A, and E), nitrite preservatives, sugar, fruit, milk, exercising in a warm room

Less is more!

Mid-day sun is the worst for me...however very early morning and later in the day seems to be ok. But I usually wear a hat anyway...your skin will thank you years later cause you'll have fewer wrinkles!!! I can't wear sunscreen because it's too irritating but wearing hats is fun
    Bactrim (phasing out), Spironolactone 1x/day, Retin-a cream .05% in the p.m., Neutrogena Cleanser for Sensitive Skin, avoid dairy and usual Rosacea triggers.

Seb derm can get better with sunlight and many rosaceans have this as a coexisting condition.

I would like to join this sun love in!
    Those of us who, daily, slap on sunblock regardless of the season or the weather do perhaps miss out on the benefits that sensible exposure can provide.

Quote Originally Posted by phlika29 View Post
    Seb derm can get better with sunlight and many rosaceans have this as a coexisting condition.
    Wow, is this really true?? my derm seems to think i have rosacea but i always had the sneeking suspicioun that it was infact only seb derm....interesting.

Sunlight isnt as bad for you as you think. I made a thread on this page asking about tanning with rosacea and most of the replys said that it was absolutely horrible to go in the sun. But for the past few days, i have been going on my deck and laying in the sun for atleast 15-20 minutes a day and its been having a good affect on my skin. I havnt gotten any darker, but it seems like my skin is getting used to the heat. This helps me alot during the day because i hardly flush at all. I used to get hot really really easily and this would usually lead to flushing, and then eventually my face would be red for the whole day. But its like my skins internal temperature has gone down because its used to the heat from the sun and theirfore my skin stays nice and cool all day. I do not plan on ever gettting a sunburn because i know for a fact this would really trigger my rosacea, but laying in the sun for a few minutes a day with some light sunscreen on your trouble areas does a world of good if you ask me. Try it out, and if anything you are helping your body out by letting it get the VIT D it needs.

If you have vascular rosacea, even small doses of UVs are terrible. In fact, the shorter wavelengths of the sun light causes vasodilatation AND causes the release of VEGF and other angiogenic factors. It also depletes TSP-1 which further accelerates the angiogenic process.

Retired Moderator

Try it out, and if anything you are helping your body out by letting it get the VIT D it needs.
    And the skin cancer, sun damage, and telenagiectasia you don't need.

I would agree with Abraham on his points.

I am glad that you feel it is helping you, but as a rule, IMO any possible benefits of unprotected sun exposure are far outweighed by the downsides. Long term exposure to "at least 15-20 minutes" per day will have dire cumulative consequences if done over a long period of time.

At 40, with years of sun damage behind me and now suffering the consequences, I would strongly urge caution.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham51 View Post
    If you have vascular rosacea, even small doses of UVs are terrible. In fact, the shorter wavelengths of the sun light causes vasodilatation AND causes the release of VEGF and other angiogenic factors. It also depletes TSP-1 which further accelerates the angiogenic process.
    Of course caution is warranted, and you're probably not going to get worse by avoiding the sun, but again, small doses really are good for you and do minimal damage. When you see someone with visible sun damage, you can bet that they have been getting a lot more than 15 minutes/day.

My rosacea is entirely vascular, but I (mostly) have my symptoms under control, so I hardly react at all to sunlight. I get 10-15 minutes/day without sunscreen, I've gotten at least that much my entire life, I'm about to turn 40, and I can easily pass for 30. When I know I'm going to be outside for a while, I use a high SPF sunscreen. Get the condition under control and sun/heat won't be so much of a trigger.

I guess all we're saying is that fearing sunlight is no way to live. Moderation (with your own skin type in mind) is key.

1,000mg Solgar MSM
    25mg diphenhydramine
    Rosacea Care moisturizer, tinted ZincO
    I avoid multi-vitamins and most other high-dose vitamins and supplements, oil-based supplements (like omega 3/6, A, and E), nitrite preservatives, sugar, fruit, milk, exercising in a warm room

Less is more!