Thread: Forehead Red Bumps

Default Forehead Red Bumps

Hi all, I've been reading through these forums for my issue and have to say you guys really know your rosacea! I have an issue, I think that rosacea is in my future as I flush very easily and I can start to see the veins near and around my nose and I'm only 34 (male). However, what brings me to post a question is about my forehead. I am in Australia and woke up NYE (hungover, etc) and had red bumps spread out around my forehead. They went away after rehydrating within about 24 hours. However, they left behind some fleshy bumps. I was intensely sweating as it was incredibly humid and I've been told this can be a trigger. I was always wearing a hat the night before. Can you guys look at the attached and provide me some insight? Does this appear to be an acute (acne) rosacea outbreak? I think I will have to engage this problem at some point with a physician, but right now it was an excessive trigger. It didn't flake much if any at all, so I don't think it is seb derm. No waxy areas or dandruff like symptoms associated. Went away quickly, only to leave behind some fleshy bumps that were only visible under the right lighting. Could it just be clogged sweat glands? Any insight you may have is greatly appreciated and thank you all very much!
    Attached Images

Retired Moderator

Obviously, an internet diagnosis is impossible and none of us are doctors. That said, I do play one on TV.

If I understand your post correctly, this is a one time event after sweating all night while wearing a hat? If so, I would give it a week, keep it clean and dry, stay away from the hat and I bet it goes away. I'm going with a heat rash or some other reaction to the combination of the drunken, sweaty, hat wearing hangover.

Could be folliculitis or something else but the simplest thing is usually the most likely. I sincerely doubt one wakes up with Rosacea. It is usually more insidious.

Regardless, the best advice is if you are concerned, visit a dermatologist to get a professional opinion.

Good luck,
    Rob

Default Thanks

Hey, thanks. It actually did go away, but I've had occurrences before and it just makes me worry. I think next time I'll speed into the doc and have her take a first hand look at it. Thanks for the advice. Any idea of what it might be if it's not rosacea?

Retired Moderator

Someone else may weigh in and have a better idea than I do, but I still go with a heat rash of some sort.

You might try to keep a mental note of similarities when it occurs, such as heat, sweat, a hat, alcohol or a combination of all. The more "triggers" as you mentioned (a common rosacea term, not to suggest you definitively have rosacea) you can figure out and tell a derm, the more likely a diagnosis will be.

Sorry, but that's the best I have for you.

Rob

I dont think it is rosacea, I would agree with Rob-heat rash/sweat rash. Have a read of these links:

http://www.dermnet.org.nz/hair-nails.../miliaria.html

http://www.dermnetnz.org/reactions/urticaria.html
    more unusual
    http://www.dermnet.org.nz/scaly/grovers.html

My advice would be to take the photo to your doctor, if you get them again in the meantime perhaps you can try taking an antihistamine

Retired Moderator

Jesus Sarah-
    Are you trying to scare us all straight with those picutes!
    Holy crap.
    Rob

Oh really there were more.

Smile Thanks

Hey guys, thanks for all your feedback. I think I am going to go with the sweat derm cause it only lasted a matter of hours up to 48 at most. The swelling of the red spots (papules) decreased very rapidly after I cooled down and stopped sweating. However, what about the subtype of rosacea that causes acute acne? I looked this up and although I can't find any similar pictures, the written details say a lot. One source says humidity and other environmental factors and behavioral factors like alcohol can spark an outbreak and normally only lasts 1-4 days? I really don't think it is seb derm or something like that, I had no flakes during or even after.

Anyway, thanks again, I really appreciate your candor.